Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/218/145

Height: 5/5

Default Hi

I wanted to say hello and wonder if anyone could give me some tips on dieting. My weight is 218 and that is from having 2 kids back to back. I am finding it hard to lose weight and to stick to a diet. I cut cookies, chips, french fries out of my diet and I don't eat as much and it just seems like I am gaining wieght. Hoping this site will be able to help come up with some other ideas to lose weight.
mornindew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #2  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

Since I never knew the following information when I started my weight loss journey I thought I would share it with you.because I myself cut out foods and still gained weight and came to find out it is the calorie intake ect. (I count calories to lose weight)I hope this helps I have lost 28 lbs since Novemeber 11th 2008 . calorie counting is free also which is a plus for me since I am on a budget. Anyways here is the info.Principles
Weight management may be difficult to achieve, but it certainly is not difficult to understand. When you consume food or drink, you consume calories. Your body burns calories to function, burning significantly more calories when you exercise. If you consume more calories than you burn, you gain weight. If you consume fewer calories than you burn, you lose weight.
Because your body requires energy simply to stay alive, you burn calories even when you are not exercising. In fact, you burn calories directly in proportion to your body weight. On average, a male burns 11 calories per day per pound of body weight. The average female burns 10 calories per day per pound of body weight. These figures are just averages. Some people will be higher or lower, since everyone's metabolism is a little different. Fitness Record allows you to specify the value which is appropriate for you. If you don't know, it is suggested that you start by using the average value for your gender.
For example, if John weighs 150 pounds, he burns approximately 150 x 11 = 1,650 calories per day. If he exercises, he will burn additional calories on top of that, depending on the exercise activity. However, if he does not exercise, he must eat 1,650 calories per day, just to maintain his body weight. If he eats more, he will gain weight. If he eats less, he'll lose weight.
For the purpose of calculating expected weight gain/loss, one pound is 3,500 calories. Each time you consume an extra 3,500 calories more than you burn, you will gain a pound. For example, Jane weighs 130 pounds, never exercises, and eats exactly 1,400 calories every day. Her metabolism is burning 1,300 calories per day, so she are consuming an extra 100 calories each day. If she does this indefinitely, she will gain a pound in 35 days, since 35 * 100 = 3,500.
Fitness Record uses another term, called Behavioral Weight. The idea is that over the long term, your weight is determined by your behaviors, and is best illustrated by example. Consider Jane above, who eats 1,400 calories per day. After 35 days of this behavior, she will weigh 131, instead of 130. This means her metabolism will burn slightly more calories than before. If she continues to eat 1,400 calories every day, she will continue to gain weight, but at a slightly slower pace. Eventually, she will weigh 140, at which time her metabolism will be burning 1,400 calories every day. At this point, she will stop gaining weight, since she is consuming the same number of calories that she burns. Therefore, by eating 1,400 calories in a day, Jane is behaving like a 140 pound person. Her "behavioral weight" is 140.
Exercise contributes to your calories burned. If Jane were to exercise, burning an additional 100 calories each day, then her calories burned would be in balance with her calories consumed. She could eat 1,400 calories per day, exercise 100 calories per day, and continue to way 130 indefinitely.
You may now be asking, "Why can't I just eat low fat foods?" You can eat whatever you want. But, non-fat foods can still have calories. Check the food label to find out if eating the non-fat version of a food is really saving you any calories -- sometimes it's not. Many programs recommend moderating your dietary fat intake, and that is obviously good advice. Eating low-fat foods happens to be an excellent guideline for keeping your calorie intake low. In addition, moderating your dietary fat intake may contribute to your health in other ways. However, it will not alter the mathematics of weight management -- you still have to eat fewer calories than you burn if you want to lose weight.
The problem with the way the human body works is that calories counting is tedious and difficult. Most weight-loss programs, as well as the so-called "fad diets", focus on other guidelines which are simpler to follow than calorie counting. However, none of these guidelines alter the underlying principles of weight management.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #3  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

Also I would like to say welcome to 3fc !!! AND GOOD LUCK

A site to go to that really helps me with my method & Ideas Ect is (i use the lefthand side of this site but there is other methods on this site also.)
www.freedieting.com

Last edited by Lori259; 01-12-2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: added a website to help
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #4  
No description available.

Welcome to 3FC! Cutting out junk food is an important first step, but it is also possible to overeat healthy foods. Have you considered calorie counting? We have an active calorie counting forum and many folks have found some success with that. Tracking calories on The Daily Plate or Fitday.com can be very useful to find out exactly what you are eating now and go from there. Exercise speeds up our metabolism, and burns more calories during (and sometimes after!) exercise.

Look around and settle in!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #5  
=D

Welcome to 3FC!

Like midwife said, tracking sites like Fitday are great for recording your daily calories, plus they gives all sorts of cool charts too when you enter your details in, and activity level etc.

I hope you stick around
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote