Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #1  
Back at it...again!

S/C/G: 199/ticker/139

Height: 5'3"

Smile Holidays...Bad time to start (again!)?

Well, as if I need to mention it...I'm new to the site. Same old story with my own twists and turns. I gained weight after marriage/college/kids and have tried a few things to lose the pounds. With occassionally trying to accept my new weight as "who I am now".
My greatest success in weight loss came with South Beach. I lost 40 pounds and felt great, with only 20 pounds or so to go to my goal. Then I got preggers with #3. Well, it totally threw me off and now 4 years later, I'm back to where I started. I have since done a couple sprint triathlons, but even then, the weight barely moved. I can't seem to keep motivated with exercise for long after the event either! I am mildy active anyway, though.
Needless to say, I'm frustrated with myself because I don't want to stay like this. I'm looking forward to some accountablility and support on here to help me stay on track.
Thanks!
Jess
Ms Perception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6.5

Hey from Wisconsin!!!!

Holiday's is the best time to start. It will help you stay away from all those foods you know you shouldn't be eating!

WELCOME!
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #3  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

to 3fc . Holidays are never an easy time as they are littered with a mine field of "naughty foods" but mindful eating allows you to enjoy those holidays and not put it on in the waist line department.
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #4  

I think this is a great time to start! no time like the present, right?! I just started a couple of weeks ago. When I started I thought it was going to be inconvenient with the holidays and everything, but then i figured i better start now, because that is less to loose later!

Good luck!
sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #5  
Mommy of Four

S/C/G: 206/174.8/140

Height: 5'2

Hello next door neighbor!! I agree with everyone else..this is a great time to start. You won't go overboard with all the holiday goodies!Welcome to the board
Dee1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #6  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

I started losing weight last year during the holidays. At Thanksgiving I heard that the Average American gains 5-10 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Years. Well, I had already gained 5-10 pounds that year of newlywed weight and did NOT want to gain more. So I decided to see if I could LOSE 10 pounds between Thanksgiving and Christmas and I did it! It was the first time I had ever really tried to lose weight, because I never thought I could. I did enjoy some holiday parties, and didn't deprive myself of everything, and I DID IT! After the first 10, I decided I could probably do more, so here I am, now down 40 pounds! Yippee!

Last edited by bethbeth; 11-20-2008 at 02:59 PM.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Holidays are a tough time... but try not to associate the celebrations with food. Focus on family and fun! You'll do great!
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:46 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7''

I was scared to start my diet this week, as Thanksgiving is next week. However, I have changed my thinking. I feel like it was the best thing to do. Diving into the holidays with STRONG MOTIVATION is the way I'm going to do this. Sometimes after a few weeks you get bumpy roads and have to really fight to stay on track, but I think that my motivation is so strong right now (as the enthusiam usually is in the beginning) and I'm going to coast right through the horrid holidays. Just remember, you're human. People make mistakes. It doens't matter how many times you fall- it matters how many times you get back up. Cake, cookies, brownies, fudge, pumpkin pie, all of those things are Think of how great you'll feel being able to do X-mas shopping and running around feeling better, not worse.

Think snowball effect. Get that ball rolling baby! Best wishes!

Lauren
Want2LiveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethbeth View Post
I started losing weight last year during the holidays. At Thanksgiving I heard that the Average American gains 5-10 pounds between Thanksgiving and New Years. Well, I had already gained 5-10 pounds that year of newlywed weight and did NOT want to gain more. So I decided to see if I could LOSE 10 pounds between Thanksgiving and Christmas and I did it! It was the first time I had ever really tried to lose weight, because I never thought I could. I did enjoy some holiday parties, and didn't deprive myself of everything, and I DID IT! After the first 10, I decided I could probably do more, so here I am, now down 40 pounds! Yippee!
Gosh! What a great way of thinking outside the box! That is now my goal! 10 lbs between now and Christmas! Woohoo! Thank you for the motivation and the critical thinking opportunity. This really hit me in a great way. Don't dread the holidays, make the holidays dread you! The battle is on! Thank you!
Want2LiveLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:42 PM   #10  
Back at it...again!

S/C/G: 199/ticker/139

Height: 5'3"

Wink

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I had my mind set on a goal before the new year, then I had to laugh when I read some of the posts....my goal is 10 lbs by New Years! If I make it, I plan to reward myself (not with food, of course) and celebrate the new year with a renewed spirit of health and happiness. I'm excited just think about it.
Oh, a question...how often do you all weigh yourselves? I'm thinking once a week, but I'm open to other opinions.
Thanks,
Jess
Ms Perception is offline   Reply With Quote