Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 10-06-2008, 12:28 AM   #1  

Height: 5 5

Default Greetings from Vermont.

I've been sort of "lurking" on this website on and off for a few years and decided now is the time to join. I am actively trying to lose weight, and have lost a little over 30lbs since January. Most of it came off just from walking or biking to/from work (four miles round trip) and cutting out the garbage in my diet. I hit a wall at the end of August and wound up joining the gym- so now on top of my normal commute I am doing the elliptical for 45 minutes 5x a week and strength training 2x a week.

My biggest challenge with respect to food, strange as it may sound, is that I don't usually eat ENOUGH during the day. I work as a professional cook in a nursing home, and I guess I just get sick of it! I also have to be careful about eating the food I prepare there, as most of it is designed to put weight onto our resident's!

I am taking the long view with respect to my weight loss. I have PCOS, and with it that tell-tale apple shape, and I really want to reduce my risk for type two diabetes and the other health problems that come with PCOS. I would be lying if I said that was all of it- I'd love for the mirror to be my friend, too!

Anyway, that's my "hello." I'm looking forward to being here. I can offer folks help with food prep and recipe ideas- both from my professional life and my home life cooking for my type-one diabetic fiancee. Cheers!
greycella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:58 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hey Greycella! I'm so glad you've moved beyond lurking and into posting!

You'll find our great "PCOS/Insulin Resistance" forum in the "Dieting with Obstacles" area...check it out! We also have groups by eating plan and age range. Look around, settle in, and find a spot or several. Can't wait to get to know you better!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome to 3FC!

We're so glad you've joined us. Congratulations on your weight loss to date, and your healthy approach to a new lifestyle.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #4  

Thank you both so much for your welcomes!
Old 10-07-2008, 11:30 AM   #5  

Hi From another fellow vermonter!....
baybbrowneyes30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #6  

Ahh- another vermonter! I was just thinking today about how the cold weather and snow will test my dedication in going to the gym everyday! I have to walk to and from the gym, and am trying to come up with a game plan to carry around the gear that will be doable. How does the winter affect you?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #7  

Default Winter sucks....

I'm so not looking forward to the snow....I'm not doing the gym thing this time around I'm going to try doing my workouts here at home I've got some workout DVDs and am giving myself rewards with new equipment...I loved the gym when i was going and it kept me motivated but here it is quite costly and with this increase in gas and food prices I cant seem to justify another membership fee and monthly dues....So wish me luck.....and Luck to you on your commutes to the gym.

~Bayb
baybbrowneyes30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #8  

I hear you on the cost of the gym membership! I gave up driving my car a few years ago, so the gas prices aren't affecting me- but the home heating oil and the cost of food really is! My parent's actually gifted me my gym membership, and that's the only reason I'm able to go. It's interesting....I think I feel that extra "push" to go those nights when I'm tired because I don't want to waste their money! Not that I want to waste my money either, but do you know what I mean?

Let me know what DVDs you get into....I've never had much luck finding ones that I can pick up easily enough.