Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/210/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Hiya!

My name is Joyce and I don't really know how to start one of these things, but I guess I'll start when I got fat.

The summer before I started junior high school was the first summer I was allowed by my parents to stay home alone (not having to go to the daycare or to day camp), was when I started to get lazy. The hot days in Reading, PA weren't exactly motivation to get up off the couch when so much great day time TV was on. I gained 10 pounds that summer.

And it was the same all throughout high school, I gained at least 50 more pounds. I got lazy and complacent, got teased horribly, and my self-esteem was non-existant.

I moved out 10 seconds after I graduated high school and moved to Albany, NY (my home state) to live with my sister. I became surrogate mother to my two adorable nephews and lacking a car, I had to walk every where. Chasing after a 3 and 4 year old, walking to my job, and eating less because I couldn't afford a lot of food. Not the best way to lose weight...but it was the first time since junior high that I felt good about myself. I had to go out and buy new clothing, because the old ones didn't fit...I'd gone from 245 lbs to 180 in a matter of eight months.

Now, I know the battle to be thinner is an uphill one...especially since 95% of my family is obese and there's a history of heart problems.

When I moved down to Mississippi from New York this past December, I got hurt and couldn't work for six months. Sitting around feeling sorry for myself made me hit that stretch of the lazy road again...and I gained almost 20 lbs. So...I'm here again at 210 lbs...looking to get down to about 160...a weight I haven't been able to reach since I was 14.

I'm glad there are communities like this where I can come and share my experiences and find support when I need it most...as well as supporting others on their way.

I've found myself with a new attitude and a new drive to do what I should have done years ago.

So...all in all...Hi!
killerqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hi Joyce! Welcome, and good luck!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #4  
47er

S/C/G: 215/191/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Hi Joyce

You have definitely come to the right place. You did once before and you can do it again and this place can be a big help! Good luck on your journey.

Karen
dolphinlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:42 AM   #5  
Waves of Change

S/C/G: 201/178/170

Height: 5' 8", wishing I were 6' 4" :)

Hi Joyce! So glad you are here Sounds like you are definitely motivated--you are in the right place!

-Susan
suenami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #6  

Hello Joyce.

Nice meeting you!!!
Joslynn is offline   Reply With Quote