Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 125/120/115

Height: 5'4"

Default Newbie looking for support

Hey everyone,
I actually just stumbled across this forum. I have a family history of food and health issues and I wanted to commit myself to staying thin. Both of my parents are obese; since they came to America, they have gain 60-80 lbs each. My dad is a type 2 diabetic, and my goal is to not follow in his footsteps. The majority of my aunts and uncles are also overweight or obese, mostly due to sedentary lifestyles.

Out of my immediate family, I am the oldest of 3 girls. While we were growing up, my mother repeatedly told us "you're going to get fat." I was used to buying clothes and shoes 1-2 sizes up as a teenager because of this. It also gave us food issues. My youngest sister is anorexic and depressed, she is the same height as me but only weighs 90 lbs. We have been desperate to get her to eat food. Meetings with a psychiatrist and a nutritionist have not helped. My other sister is 2 inches taller than me and heavier; she was the one teased as being chubby when she was younger.

My own weight has fluctuated over the years. I dropped down to 105 lbs when I was on the cheerleading squad in high school and maxed out at 135 lbs while I was in college taking birth control pills. While I was on the pill, I gained 15 lbs in 3 months. My gyn doc said I gained the weight because I was happier; I was voraciously hungry every day I was on it. As soon as I got off the pill, I did atkins for 3 months to lose all of the weight. Atkins works, but I was cranky and upset at the end.

Anyway, I am currently trying to lose 8 pounds. No I am not anorexic and 112-115 lbs is still within my normal weight range. I weighed 112 lbs a year ago. I jumped up to 125 lbs while eating badly at the hospital as a PA student. Anyway, I am trying to lose the weight this time with exercise. I wish I could diet, but it is hard to stay away from sweets. So far, I have been trying to keep portions down and exercise 5 days a week.
ssharma1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:00 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

How many times do we hear "it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change"? So many times I practically have it tattood on my retinas. But, honestly? That's exactly how it is. We know there is no going back.

It's not a diet. It can't be, because diets end. We're all just here to eat a little healthier each day, move a little more than we're used to, and shed some pounds to be more fit.

You aren't alone. I'm sorry to hear that you and your sisters have food issues. Many of the members of 3FC do as well.

You may want to check out the Chicks in Control section, and perhaps the Featherweights, for those trying to lose a few more pounds.

I hope you find the support you need around the board.

Best of success!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Sharma and

Glad you found us. I'm sorry to hear about your sister being anorexic
No matter what HEALTHY plan you decide to follow, I'm sure we have a board to support it. You might want to try weight watchers or calorie counters, the girls know so much and are so supportive.

Good Luck
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #4  
Believe in Change

S/C/G: 221.5/188/140

Default Welcome!

Greetings ssharma!

There is a board for those with little to lose. Featherweights I think it is called. Also a board for people maintaining loss which might be of help to you.

I am active on the Beck Diet Solution board. It focuses on changing the way we think about food. You might check it out too. We have a couple of folks on there who are in maintenance.

Keep searching till you find what works for you!
shrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #5  
carinna

to the site. And heres a for breaking the cycle of obesity in your family.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #6  

good for you taking the step.....

welcome I look forward to learning and seeing all your successes
36Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:52 AM   #8  
change

S/C/G: 169/ticker/healthy

Height: 5'3" ish?

p.s. gained weight because you were happier? huh?
ollie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:32 AM   #9  

Welcome!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote