Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #1  

Wink kid friendly food for grandma and grandkids

Hi, this is my first "thread" here at 3 fat chicks. I am a very busy single grandmother raising 4 grandchildren. I have a grandaughter aged 10 (she will be 11 in 2 days!) and 3 grandsons aged 6 (I have a set of twins that are 6) and one grandson aged 5. I have had them now for 4 years and we are doing well. The problem is that I have gained 25 pounds over the last 4 years and it is mostly in my belly. I eat every time they eat and sometimes more! I do work, part time and have just recently started walking daily on our city's new walking trail. One problem with that is that we are located in the south and our weather is still very hot and humid so I don't walk every day. I have heard about this new "flat belly diet" and from what I have seen I think even my grandkids would like the food but before I actually spend the money on the book I was wondering if anyone else has tried the diet and if they think the food is "kid friendly"? Would appreciate any feedback
gfwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I haven't read too much on this, but the website for it makes me a little skeptical. It seems that a quick weight loss like that would be primarily water weight, and would be gained back once you resume your regular habits. It isn't possible to spot reduce the weight on one part of your body. If there are flat belly experts out there, please feel free to (gently!) correct me. If we've stumbled onto some new fantastic weight loss program and I'm the only one who didn't know, then I apologize! I did notice that they seemed to encourage exercise and that is great.
Before you pick a weight loss program, I'd look at a few of them and see what looks affordable, easy to implement, and kid friendly. WW, Atkins, even calorie counting allows you to eat a wide variety of foods and doesn't require you to send away for special foods. They are all programs that can be used by the entire family, even if they aren't all trying to lose weight.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

umm...I know of a variation on two kid's favourites...The original isn't quite so healthy, but if you substitute the boxed mac and cheese for home made with wheat pasta and use a light velveeta or something similar.

I used to make a box of macaroni and cheese and heat up a can of chili at the same time for when I babysat my neighbour's 5 kids. After they were both done, I'd mix them together. Now I use a vegetarian or homemade chili and homemade pasta, it takes longer and is a bit more expensive compared to the college budget original, but its really good, my charges always loved it!

Other than that, I tend to use All Recipes' website when it comes to kiddy foods.

Last edited by Casandra; 08-12-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

gfwynn! We're glad you've discovered us! That is quite a feat you have, raising 4 grandchildren on your own, I admire you for it! I don't really know too much about the Flat Belly Diet, but The South Beach Diet is touted for losing weight in your belly first. It's a sensible, healthy way of eating that is safe for almost everyone. You may want to check it out. Feel free to look around our website and hop right in! We look forward to getting to know you!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #5  

Just popping in to welcome you to the site!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote