Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-04-2008, 02:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/249/169

Height: 5'9"

Default New to 3FC, having a hard time getting started on diet.

Hi Everyone!

My name is Barb. I discovered this site over a year ago but just got around to signing up today. I'm glad I found it again!

I've been "off the wagon" from dieting for years and just can't seem to jump back on. I joined Weight Watchers for the first time about a hundred years ago (well, 1971), and reached goal (lost 110 pounds). I've been gaining and losing ever since then but never got real heavy after that.

Until . . . In 1997 I met the man who is now my husband and I've been steadily gaining every since. He's an excellent cook, and his mantra is, "If you love it, feed it", so now I'm back to where I was in 1971 (before a lot of you were even born! )

I'm tired of being tired all the time (carrying around this "bulk"), and I'm tired of seeing that woman in the mirror (that can't be me!).

Something's got to change!

I missed starting my "New Year's" diet, and I've been missing starting on the first of every month and/or every Sunday or Monday (or, maybe "tomorrow") ever since.

I'm looking forward to getting (and giving) moral support here, reading the wonderful success stories, and being accountable to a weight-loss ticker. I hope that will give me the impetus to start eating healthfully, become fit, and to start liking myself again.

Thanks!
Oldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:17 AM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Hi Barb! Glad you decided to join!

As for diets go, my only advice is to just start eating less of what you normally do. Before long, you'll feel full on half of what you used to eat.

And if you mess up, just remember that tomorrow is another day.

But once you start eating less, start eating more fruits and veggies and start working out. All it takes is baby steps. Good luck!
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:40 AM   #3  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Welcome to 3 FC You can do it!
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #4  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #5  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Your user name! So cute!

Welcome to 3FC. You've definitely come to the right place for weight loss support. My suggestion would be to check out some of the forums dedicated to specific diet plans and see what sounds the most 'doable' for your lifestyle. Then you can give it a try, and if it doesn't work out, just try something else. Eventually you'll find something that you can stick with.

If WW worked in the past, you might want to try it again. Of course it's probably changed quite a bit since '71, but there are plenty of people here on that plan to help you figure it out. I'm a calorie counter myself, mostly because it's free, but also because it's really easy. I use Sparkpeople to track my intake (1300-1500 calories per day) and to help me keep my carbs in check.

Look around, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone here is happy to help.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Oldilocks! Hecka cute user name

Like thistoo said, surf around, ask questions...you'll find the plan that works for you.

Oh and BTW - I was alive in '71.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 254/254/170

Height: 5'11

Hi,
I am new to 3FC as of today. Like you, I have known about the site for some time and just took the step to join in. I wish you the best of luck. I am having a hard time of picking a plan too. It is so overwhelming. I would say if WW worked for you before, try it again. For now, I am going to try to just shrink my portion sizes, drink lots of water, and try to walk at least 30 minutes a day - baby steps right?!
Lots to Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Welcome, and I know you can do it! Like two already mentioned babysteps are probably best! The reason it is probably better is so that you do not get discouraged and fall out. If you cut your portions down then you can get use to eating less before trying to change what you eat. Losing weight takes a lot of time but remember YOU can do it! I am trying meal replacement shakes to see if this helps me lose any weight (just started dieting yesterday). Not sure if that is something you want to do, but it is one diet that is out there. Good luck!!!!!!!!!
Mommysince21505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #9  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Barb
Welcome. For me I started out eating lean cuisines for lunch and dinner. I learned portion sizes again. After that I just ate the required amounts of the four basic food groups and stayed within some general ranges of calories, fats and cabs. You are going to have to find what works for you. Some like set plans like Jenny Craige. Some like to count calories. No matter what you decide is right for you remember this. We aren't on diets. Diets don't work but for the short term if ever. This is a life style change we are doing. This journey is about realizing we have to change how we look at, think about and eat food. Exercise is also important. Getting the body in shape doesn't come without a price and that price is dedication and commitment. You eat right and exercise and you will find out you have a great side effect. A more healthy, thinner body that is in great shape.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #10  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Welcome to 3FC.

Just wanted to encourage you to not wait for a special time to start. Start right now! Pick something small that you can commit to and start doing it.

This isn't a race to the finish, it's a change to a new permanent lifestyle - healthy eating.

While you're working on the something small you identified, look around the website and find a plan that looks like it will work for you. It may well be weight watchers again. Then join, or read the book - whatever's appropriate for the plan.

You know you can do it. You've done it before!! And you're here so you know you're committed.

Also, spend some time in the maintainers forum. This is the best info anywhere that I'm aware of concerning keeping it off, starting with keeping off that very first pound you lose.

Best wishes in your journey
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 272/249/169

Height: 5'9"

WOW -- thank you all for your encouraging words; I know I've come to the right place!
Oldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 264/250/140

Height: 5ft 9"

Hi!
Erm, I didn't realise that everyone really had a plan, which is a bit silly of me really! I trained as a chef and I live in the heart of the rural farming community, so I have an abundanced of great foods on my doorstep, which I love to cook for my family, oh and not much will power!
I am not dieting, I am eating for optium health, that way I don't feel like I am missing out. I have tried many ways myself over the years and by now I would have given in and eaten something naughty!
However my usual bread and pasta has been replaced with beans and pulses, which seem to fill me up without making me sluggish and has alot less fat.
I am also walking a fair bit, but only twice a week due to child care issues.
I have also up'd my fruit and veg intake and cut down on my meat, (which is my downfall) and so far ( 2 weeks in) I haven't been hungry at all and I lost 6 lbs in my first week, next weigh day is tomorrow!
I did try WW as well but it was not a postive experience really, I have receied more support here in one day then I did there & it cost me money as well as time!
As soon as I work out how to put up recipes I will do!
Did that help, sorry if that as a bit me me me!
Good luck whatever plan you choice!

Last edited by Bonjul; 08-06-2008 at 06:13 PM. Reason: spelling! sorry
Bonjul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 224/218.5/170

Height: 5 ft. 7 in.

Cool welcome Barb!

Hey, I'm new too! Just joined yesterday.

I'm lucky not to have gone up and down the dieting yo-yo very much. Really only once! But the reason I went back up again is that the changes I made were unsustainable in the long haul.

Whatever plan or path you choose must be sustainable over YEARS, DECADES... LIFE! Not just until the next high school reunion (or whatever).

If a plan looks do-able, give it a go, but if you find yourself thinking.. I can't wait until this is OVER!! ... then find another plan.

I'm just beginning (again), and this time it will stick. No fads. No goofiness. Just slow steady permanent change.

Go you!!

hopefuldreamer
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote