Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-18-2008, 02:07 AM   #1  
Keep Chuggin'

S/C/G: 166/150/120

Height: 5'1"

Red face New here, from Israel

Hello everybody!

I am new to this site - and it looks like such a great one! I came to the realization that the only way I am going to get anywhere is by joining some kind of group. I saw Rosemary Conely - but not being in the UK doesn't help And I was just puttering around (and eating brownies...!) trying to figure things out and I stumbled upon 3FC - and you all are so supportive here, and I know that that's exactly what I need.

I have a fair bit of weight to lose (56 lbs) and the truth is that it really didn't bother me so much, being so overweight, until I just started feeling so awful - I huff and puff climbing the stairs, and bending over cuts off my oxygen supply, but still - I'm just was not really motivated! I belong to a gym, don't go there as often as I should, but it's really time to get it together as I'm not getting any younger.....

Anyway - I don't know where I should be posting - I don't know "where I belong" yet - so I'd appreciate so guidance!

Thank you!
-Miriam
miriam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:35 AM   #2  
Operator265

Welcome to 3FC. Best advice I can give is just keep looking around. I think every diet on the planet has a forum here, you just need to see what seems to fit you and your needs. Whichever you way you choose, even if you just do your own thing, everyone here will support you through it. If there's anything you need, just send up a post.

Good Luck!!!
Old 05-18-2008, 02:46 AM   #3  
Keep Chuggin'

Thank you for your reply!
Is there a way that I can adjust the settings so I can see somewhere when someone replies to a post of mine?
Thanks!
Old 05-18-2008, 02:58 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

If you go to User CP you'll see all your subscribed threads... this includes threads you've created and posted in. It's an easy way to catch up on places you've been.

Do you have a plan in mind? If not you may want to think about checking out Diet Central, where you'll find information on a lot of plans other members are following. How about exercising? Given any thought to moving more? You might be interested in talking to people your own age (Under the support groups area) or just talking in general No need to only post in one place, wherever you're comfortable!

You can do this. You can lose those 50 pounds

Best of success!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:30 AM   #5  
Keep Chuggin'

Thank you Faerie!

Wow ! You've lost soooo much weight! Which plan are you following?

Thanks for the tip about Diet Central - i'll check it out!

BTW - what is the blue team, and the black team? I see people belong to them and I don't know what they are. Also - how does one make a short term goal?<technically>

I made an appointment with the dietician in my area for this week. So with regards to eating - I'll have to see what she has to say.

I just came back from a 25 minute brisk walk - TBH I didn't know I could walk that long without passing out - I'm serious! And here's a personal question for all fellow chicks - what do you do about your thighs rubbing together? *ouch!!*

-Miriam
Old 05-18-2008, 06:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Thighs are a terrible problem. Wear bike pants or something with a leg (like the old fashioned witches britches or if you have exercise gear, that'll fix it. One day you will figure out that your thighs are not rubbing like they used to. That's when you get excited!!

Make sure that you measure and weigh yourself before you start. Then you will know where the weight is coming off. You may be like me. I go to the gym 5 times a week, but I haven't lost much weight. I have however dropped 4 dress sizes. I'm happy with that. Don't rely on the scales too much. They are up and down and can be discouraging. Look at the way you look in your clothes and see if the exercise plus good eating changes that.
Good luck. I'll be looking out for your progress.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:27 AM   #7  
Keep Chuggin'

Thanks for your post, Joy.

I like your quote - There ain't no body else but me did this to me. There ain't no body else to fixit either.

It's that exact realization which is making me take some control!

4 dress sizes! Wow - that's impressive! I did measure myself and hope that I'll be posting some successes of my own soon. Meanwhile - let's just hear it for day #1!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam Anne View Post
Thank you Faerie!

Wow ! You've lost soooo much weight! Which plan are you following?
Thank you! I'm following Weight Watchers. It's the program that works most with my life right now.

Quote:
Thanks for the tip about Diet Central - i'll check it out!
It might be a little overwhelming at first, but don't worry! Start with something that catches your eye and that fits your lifestyle. Often this means something like calorie counting (nice, because it's easy & free!). It's more important to find a program or plan that will allow you to stick with it for a long time. You can always switch down the road to something that fits your lifestyle in the future, but you shouldn't be so frustrated with a program that you feel like giving up every day.

Quote:
BTW - what is the blue team, and the black team? I see people belong to them and I don't know what they are. Also - how does one make a short term goal?<technically>
Blue, Black & Red. It's all part of a Biggest Loser contest that's going on. Little friendly competition, no one needed to join! It's just for fun & motivation. The teams are closed right now through the competition, but when the next one opens (Sometime in August) if you're interested, sign up!

I just picked a short term goal. I wrote it out in my signature. I chose to go 10% at a time. So, I began at 331, my first ten percent was 33 pounds etc. etc. Breaking it up into smaller goals has definitely helped keep me on plan. Instead of thinking "Oh no... how am I going to lose 100 lbs?" I've thought "I can lose 10 lbs, sure!" It might help you with yours. Maybe 50 lbs is overwhelming, but you certainly can lose 5 lbs! And then another 5 lbs etc

Quote:
I made an appointment with the dietician in my area for this week. So with regards to eating - I'll have to see what she has to say.
That is a GREAT place to start! Maybe bring a few ideas to her about what your life is like, and if a certain plan or plans are healthy & could help you!

Quote:
I just came back from a 25 minute brisk walk - TBH I didn't know I could walk that long without passing out - I'm serious! And here's a personal question for all fellow chicks - what do you do about your thighs rubbing together? *ouch!!*
Biker shorts. I use them for my treadmilling and all sorts of exercising. There are a number of places online that sell plus-sized athletic clothing.

I hope that helps! Keep on coming back & let us know how things go
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:26 AM   #9  
Keep Chuggin'

Thank you for the detailed reply, Faerie!
I think when it comes to choosing a food plan, I need to do something that doesn't make me say "NEVER AGAIN" to anything - that's too overwhelming. Yes - I know in OA and CEA HOW it's "Just for today", but today is every day, and I don't like thinking like that. I have enough things in my life that are for ALWAYS and FOREVER and I'm not lookin' for anymore!!
i'm not really overwhelmed with the fact that I need to lose so much weight, BECAUSE it is so much weight, haha, it's just a number. The truth is - I know that exercising drops your clothing size quicker than it takes off the pounds. I don't know - I'm only on day #2. I've made the decision not to weigh myself every day although I'm mighty curious! I am going to weigh myself only on Sunday mornings - that will also <hopefully> give me the impetus to be careful over the weekend. <fingers crossed>
But you're right - i think 5 pounds is a lovely goal to start with - or even better - 7 pounds, and that will bring me under the 160's. I have a very small frame and I was under 100 lbs when I got married 14 years ago, so 4 kids <and one husband> later - I think 110 sounds about right. Truth is - when I go to the dietitian I will ask her opinion as well about idealweight.
I tried following weight watchers for a very short time - I am a vegetarian and I think I was nursing, too, and the funny thing - it was too much food for me to eat and I didn't give it much of a chance. (When I want large amounts of food - I binge, haha.) You are really doing great! Hats off to you! And thanks for the support!! It means a lot to me.
-Miriam
Old 05-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #10  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote