Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 300

Height: 5'2

Question Hello! I'm fat and need some support

Hello everyone!
I would just like to start this off by letting everyone know that I have a lot of issues. My main one is that I am overweight. I guess I should let everyone know a little about myself.

Well for starters, I'm 29, in a seriously committed relationship and I have 2 children, both boys 8 and almost 2. The main reason that I am here is of course I need to lose weight. I say need instead of want because my weight has started to affect my everyday life. Also I need to tell all of you that I know that I am an emotional eater, I eat when I am upset, or when I am sad. My father passed away in the begining of December, a co worker who I was close to passed away at the end of December, and my childhood best friend passed away in March. I feel like I have put on so much weight since the begining of the year and I think it is getting out of control. My family doesn't really know how to support me in my weight loss goals, none of them have any weight issues so I think that see it as "my problem" and I don't know how to help them help me.

So that looks like a good start to where I am at. I look forward to meeting some good people here and hopefully getting the support that I need, as well as helping where I can. If you got to the end of this, bless you for coming that far
shortymac665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: atkins 06/ 08

Height: 5'5

Hey Shortymac
You will find a lot of help and support around here.
Sorry to hear about all you losses I cant even begin to go there.
So don't be to hard on yourself. You have really been through it lately.
Stick around you will begin to feel at home on here .
tybeeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:01 AM   #3  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Heya shorty, welcome to the forum. I think you'll find a lot of love and support here!

I do have to say that realising you need to lose weight is a huge step in the right direction, but to be able to acheive your goal you need to want it also.

Secondly I think you need to find what's right for you. Exercise is obviously a huge factor, but scientifically you should be lowering your calorie intake by about 500 to lose lbs. Try looking at your BMR and BMI to figure out what's best for you.

And lastly, it's really important that if you do comfort eat you eat something healthy or try to stop altogether. Comfort eating in my experience makes me feel worse and turns into a habit.

Best of luck though, and I hope you find the right way to lose weight for you! let us know how it goes
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:24 AM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Hello Shortymac! I'm so glad you found this place...it has been a huge help in my journey to getting my body back! I'm only just starting out, but I know how it is to be out of control with eating. I know how it is to feel misunderstood because of emotional eating. People don't understand the grip food can have on someone who is an emotional eater. Given the tremendous stress you have undergone, I appluad you so much for getting back on track and doing what you need to do so you can be healthy for your boys. I also have two boys and that alone gets me to feel like I need to eat!

I've read that it takes about 4 to 6 weeks to really change a habit. Maybe you can start with that? Make a commitment to move more (start with walks) and eat less (choose a program you like: counting calories, weight watchers, soutbeach, etc....choose something you can do long term) and check back on this forum for inspiration and support. If you can't go to a gym, maybe find some workout dvd's either for sale or at the library? Dring lots of water. The most amazing thing happened to me when I stopped drinking Diet Coke (I was a total addict and never thought I could stop): my food cravings decreased by more than I could have ever imagined. I think Diet Coke and other artificial sweeteners were really causing so much harm. I even saw Dr. Oz (on Oprah) talk about the fact that people who drink diet soda gain just as much weight as people who drink regular soda because your body finds a way to get that sugar that it thinks it's getting when you drink it.

I do lots of gum chewing and I munch on carrots when I'm having cravings. As you get further into this, your taste buds will change and even though you might still want junk, you'll find that you start enjoying healthy foods more and more.

Sorry for going on and on! I'm just really hoping that you find the support you need to get to where you want to be. You can do this!!!!

Irena
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, Shortymac.

I'm so sorry about the losses in your life. I know how devastating that is.
Just joining this forum is a positive step. You sound as though you're really ready to gain some control in your life. Emotional eating is particularly difficult, because even when you know you're eating badly, you can't help but think, "I don't care!" And then you feel worse afterwards... it's a vicious circle.
Sometimes just having a healthy alternative on hand can help. Even if it's something "a little bit bad", that's better than "very bad". Small changes are easier to manage when you're feeling low, and eventually you'll realize the value of making them.
Hang in there, hon.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 AM   #6  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #7  

I am an emo eater too so I totally sympathize with you, its soo hard and most people don't understand!! Sometimes getting the support from people with similar issues helps, plus you are HERE, this is a huge first step!! I look forward to seeing your progress!!
Irish Mom is offline   Reply With Quote