Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 AM   #1  
one minute at a time

S/C/G: 258/228/170

Height: 5'6"

Default Hi Another newbie, who's inspired by so many

Hi! I'm Janie and I'm new here. I've been looking around and I'm so inspired by all of you! Amazing posts and pictures. I love the honesty of all of your words. I think this is what I need. I'm finally to the point that I know I must do something about my weight. I'm getting my "stuff" together to begin my NEW LIFE!
JanieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

!

First, we decide that we're committed to changing our lives. Then we decide how we're going to go about doing it

Have you thought about an eating or exercising plan? Let us know!

Best of luck!

Last edited by Lovely; 02-20-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #3  
one minute at a time

I think I'm going to go with WW. It's easy for me to follow and allows me to eat "normal" food. I'm also considering South Beach. My daughter in law swears this is the way to go. Any advice?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

I'm actually following WW so I'm a little biased (So far 77 lbs down fitting WW around my life!)

But, if you're looking for a way to be able to eat a little bit of everything & control portion, then WW or plain old calorie counting are the best ways to go. I love WW because of the meetings, actually. They've really kept me on track.

Others find that cutting out the foods that kept them down in the past (breads, carbs) has helped them have better control. I knew right away that would simple never, ever work for me. But, you may think it could work for you! This is about finding which plan will help us individually. So, the same goes for your DIL. It may work wonders for her, but may not be for you...

I'd suggest that you go with your gut instinct first. If you'd like to try WW, then try it! Give it some time to find out if it really does fit your lifestyle. Either you work the program, or you have to find another one (this may happen). It may even be that for a time WW works for you, but then a time down the road you choose to try something else. This is perfectly normal.

The reason I suggest trying what you're initially interested in, is that you may be able to make a better commitment to it in the beginning.

Last edited by Lovely; 02-20-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

Welcome JanieG! We have similar stats, I was at 252 when i decided enough was enough!! So just wanted to say hello!! Its taken me a long time, but Im getting there slowly but surely. I tend to calorie count and watch the fat content. For me exercise is key though, nothing moves unless i move my butt!!
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #6  
one minute at a time

See, this is why I like this site. Real people that can relate to what you're going through. I have friends that are "heavy" may have a few pounds to lose, and they understand losing, but they don't understand being extremely over weight. I really don't think that people who have never been where we are can understand what we feel, need, want, and go through. It's nice to KNOW that the person that is responding to your post truely understand where you are and where you've been.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #7  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

I LOVE WW~! I lost 60 pounds the first time I did WW. I got sick and it never went away and lost all energy, finally was diganosed with thyroid cancer so through surgeries, and radiation i gained that weight back! But that is all behind me now and I am back to WW and love it!
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #8  
one minute at a time

I think I'm going to go with WW. It's more "real world" if you know what I mean. I want something that I can do for the rest of my life. Not something that when I'm finished losing, I'll start gaining again. It's all about changing the way you live and eat in the "real" world.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

Janie - Be sure to pop on over to the WW thread area in Diet Central! If you have any questions, we'll all be happy to help out!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #10  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, Janie!
My husband and I have had good success (in the past. ahem) with both WW and South Beach.
I agree with you about eating "real". You want to make lifestyle changes without doing anything too dramatic.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote