Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #1  

Unhappy Struggling with WLS Decision

Hi everyone. I am a 48 year old Fat Chick who has struggled with weight seriously since I was in my 30's. I was 150 lbs at age 30 and after many diets including Optifast - I am now at 299 lbs. However - I learned to use food as my "tranquilizer" when I was around 8 or 9 years old. I was just very active - and practiced horrible dieting to stay skinny. Long story as you can imagine.

At this size, I think I need to have food removed as an optional drug of choice for me to lose weight. My dilemma is that I also know that my weight is a psychological issue, and I have been trying to practice teachings by Geneen Roth (eat what you want, whenever you want - but without distraction, etc.) I feel like getting surgery might be the ultimate betrayal of my body. The other side of that argument is by not doing this, it's one more way of keeping me stuck here, fat, but "safe".

I came here looking to see what other women faced and experienced. Thanks for listening.
lizzieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #2  
Meg

Lizzie! I think 3FC is going to be a great place for you to think and explore your options. We have a WLS forum with wonderful folks at all stages of the process, we have a Chicks in Control forum that deals with eating disorder issues, we have an Intuitive Eating thread with some Geneen Roth followers, and we have groups for every age, location, and diet plan! Take some time, poke around, and ask questions. Don't be shy about jumping into threads or starting new ones.

We're looking forward to getting to know you, and helping you with your decision in any way that we can.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:23 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

I can't say more than Meg already has, but definitely stay around, read, and post ^^

All the best of luck to you!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:24 PM   #4  

Smile Thank you!

Wow. I just read both Meg and Robin's stories, and cannot believe the number of women out here my size who have lost so much weight and are so open with their stories.

I just bought FitDay and am going to try and log my food intake, and journal in the Blog i just opened. and see how this goes....thanks again for positive reinforcement so fast!

Lizzie
lizzieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/255/150

Height: 5'3"

Hey Lizzie, welcome!

I am a newbie here too, and I have read through so much today alone that has got me super motivated! I give up with diets so easily and I have had issues with my motivation but I know that this place is going to help us! Like Faerie said, please stay around!

I am starting the Weight Watcher's point system now. It is super easy and you don't get deprived of food. Also you should check out Fitday.. it really helps. Best of luck to you dear!
misszombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #6  
eh, here goes

S/C/G: 190/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

i know you can do this! i am just starting out and seeing all this inspiration has helped me plan my meals and made me feel better already. we can do this together!
rakuette is offline   Reply With Quote