Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/210/150

Height: 5'6"

Arrow Newbie here!

Hi! My name is Meg, and I am a 23 year old EMT Firefighter. I'm going to ramble on for awhile. so get comfy.

I've been chunky since high school- and recently experienced a life changing event that caused me to REALLY step back and re-evaluate my life. My 39 year old overweight Fire Chief- who i have known my ENTIRE life, and was just like a big brother to me, died suddenly on duty of a heart attack. Since November (right after his death) I have dropped 15 lbs by diet alone- to add onto the ten i had lost since i was my heaviest last summer.

This week have begun the exercise program to accompany it. Today I did 5 miles on the eliptical machine i just got in 1:04:07! I struggle with asthma as well, so this is a big deal for me! (What's funny though, i've never had my asthma act up on a fire! Must be the adrenaline overpowers it or something... I just blow thru air bottles like nobody's business!)

I hope to get down to 150 by August- As my sister and I are going to be hiking Mt Whitney then! We're both pretty avid hikers, but she really kicks my butt! I have to do frequent stops and puffs on the inhaler! My other goal is to take the firefighters physical agility test and PASS it; it's called the CPAT- and it's brutal. I haven't passed yet! Currently, i am in a transition period at work- my smaller volunteer department i have been with for 2 years will soon be "absorbed" by another dept, so I will be testing for other stations around here in the near future. I had the heart and strength to get thru fire academy- but getting hired on fulltime is a TOTALLY different ball of wax. I already have the girl thing against me, So i can't let this weight and asthma and being out of shape get me down~!

So basically, i type a lot- almost as much as i talk. and i'm here to make friends and get some emotional support- the guys at the station are okay, but sometimes they just don't understand. (they think i look fine, but maybe that's just what they say because they know i'll stomp em' lol) Glad to meet ya'll.
NineOneOne84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:09 AM   #2  
Blue Team Member

S/C/G: 297/229/150

Height: 5'5/168cm

oh you will fit right in here i type alot too lol but i talk alot more.. my hubby reckons he is gonna get a doctor to implant a phone to my ear .. lol...

welcome to the forum im glad you have found us. this place is really great .
im very sorry about your friend and i hope you have the confidence to stand up and keep your job when the fire stations merge. that has got to be tough..

Sounds like you are on the right track already good luck Amy
amouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: just starting out...370/175

Height: 5'8"

Welcome! I am a newbie too! I am very excited to have found this site! Good luck to you and happy losing!!!
spicyglk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 235/210/150

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the welcomes!
NineOneOne84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Welcome! We're glad you're here.

You're doing very well already!

Read lots. Just let us know if there's anything we can help you find. We want you to find some threads where you'll feel right at home.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:32 PM   #6  
absolutely cuckoo

S/C/G: 175/153/133

Height: 5'4

Hiya Meg,

I was gonna send you a private message, but I guess I can't do that since our post count is under ten?

Anyway, as someone close to your age with experience answering that phone number I thought we might have a few things to say to each other. Let me know if you'd like a Very Unfit buddy!

And, of course, good luck
Wires and Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/115

Height: 5'3''

Welcome,Meg! And Good Luck!
Cardfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote