Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 284/220/160

Height: 5'3"

Default What do you do after you "goofed" with foods?

I have read a zillion books and articals about this, don't fall off the wagon because you had one bad food meal - or day - or week. Just don't look back, look forward and keep going. Right?
So, I am curious what YOU guys do when you have made food mistakes. Here is my story.
This week I did really good on foods - REALLY good - I was down over 2 lbs and feeling good about it. Then yesterday killed me. (Weekend are the worst for me) I was busy all day and snacked on some not-so-great treats, then went to dinner and ate like a pig. Seriously, 4 breadsticks! Triple serving of salad (thinking that was better than eating my whole entree') and then eating my WHOLE entree'! Heavy, thick, fattening Italian food! *sigh* It gets worse, then ice cream LATE at night.
WHY do I do this????? I can be good for days on end, and then crash?? Now I'll spend all today feeling guilty and mad and drinking 100 gallons of green tea to try to flush my system.
So... how do you guys cope with this kind of stuff? Please share....

Darla
DarlaLOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #2  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Hey Darla! Welcome to 3FC. Congrats on your weightloss so far, you are doing something right to lose 38 lbs!

Let me say that I am no expert, I have a long way to go on my weightloss journey, but I will share with you what I have experienced and what I have heard. People say that one bad meal won't break you. Sure, you didn't eat ideally, but it happened and you learn from it. Many people on here (including myself) have a "cheat" meal scheduled into their plan. You just need to pare your cheat day down to a single meal.

Here is my experience: I fall off the wagon quite often. That's why it's taken me since May to lose 19 lbs. But what happens when I eat bad for a day, or in some cases for a week or two, I just get back to eating healthy and tracking my food and I try not to dwell on it. Sometimes it's really hard to get back on track, but I eventually make it back. I kind of act like it didn't happen. Sometimes it doesn't work like that, sometimes I kick myself in the for a while, but like I said, I eventually get back on track.

Don't be so hard on yourself, we are on a journey of learning and every time we mess up, we learn a little more. Good luck.
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:27 PM   #3  
Bring my sexy back!!

S/C/G: 230/229.5/180

Height: 5'8

I totally agree that I am not an expert on staying on track either. It is really a struggle and that is why losing weight is not easy but we can all do it. Let me use myself as an example. I started working out with a trainer on 11/1, I was doing so great and then came Thanksgiving. I said that I was only going to eat on that day and that would be it but two weeks later I am just now getting fully back on track. Now that was a bad slip because I gained during that time frame but I have to leave the past in the past and move forward with my goals for Dec and the New Year.

I think that the key is to realize that you are human and cut yourself some slack!! Everyday is not going to be perfect or easy but you can do it! You have the strength and strong will to make the choices that are best for you and when you slip off get back up again.

I think that the scheduled indulgence day is a good idea so that you have something to look forward to and you don't have to feel bad about it.

Keep Your Head Up and Stay Strong!! You will reach your goals!!

Be Blessed!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Everyone does this from time to time. I don't get mad at myself, I just eat healthy the next day and try to keep going. One meal isn't going to ruin everything. One lb roughly equals 3500 calories (you'd have to eat that over what your body uses), so it's more then likely that you haven't consumed enough to even gain a whole lb. Just keep no plan from now on. If it happens again, then pick up and keep going.

My only other thought would be to ignore the scale for a day or two. Restaurant food can be full of sodium which will make you retain water. The green tea is probably not too bad of an idea.

Don't beat yourself up over this! You are doing great!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #5  

I agree, it does not help to be "hard" on yourself but then again I think we have to be to some extent or we'd be wishy-washy and never lose an ounce! We usually have a Sat night date night with friends and go to a Mexican resteraunt where 9 out of 10 times I'll get a salad - I count that as my splurge for the week usually. This week our friends were out of town and another friend offered to take us out - Olive Garden - eeeck! Well, as you read, I went overboard and beyond. I think that from now on I just need to plan on Sat night being my fun foods night and give myself that treat. I can still watch portions and so on even if I am treating myself. I just hate how I feel both physically and emotionally after I pig out like that. Super stinky thing is that Mondays are my weigh in days so now I'll spend all day today (sunday) trying to make up for my binge last night.
Thanks guys! You are all awesome!
DarlaLOU
Old 12-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

This time of year, it can be hard. I agree with the others - don't beat yourself up - move on - starting NOW. Another thing I would add - learn from this. You cannot go out to eat without planning ahead. Get the menu before you go. Decide what you will eat, and how much you will eat. Then, stick to your plan. For me - no plan=extra food consumed.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #7  
Future Wonder Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarlaLOU View Post
Super stinky thing is that Mondays are my weigh in days so now I'll spend all day today (sunday) trying to make up for my binge last night.
Why don't you move your weigh in day to Saturday mornings? That way, you have all week for any bloating from salt to go away. I do that, well...what I do is I weigh myself every day and then on Saturdays, I average all the weights out and that is what I count as my weight. If you moved it to Saturdays, maybe you wouldn't beat yourself up so bad.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #8  

That is a GREAT idea!! I have "officially" changed my weigh in day to Fridays... that will help so much! Thank you!
Old 12-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #9  
mots

S/C/G: 237/185/170

Height: 5'4"

well the first thing i do is............
i don't try to aleve my guilt by eating more...........
don't laugh; i use to think "Well this day is shot for dieting; may as well eat the rest of the day............."
So when i do not choose wisely i just let it go......... and try harder to keep on the success chain........... successes are linked together; one building on another (and to think of it; so are failures)...
Just keep on keeping on......and i have a secret diet stratege......... i pray and ask for help to stay on the diet............
Best!mots
mots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #10  

Mots, you are so right... just like developing the good habits, it is like a chain. Good concept!
I too think if I've blown one meal that the day is shot and keep eating, have even done it with a whole week before! LOL I just need to get back into a good routine and start planning better for eating at home AND when we go out.
I agree also, asking for spiritual help and guidance is an excellent choice!
Thanks!

Darla
Old 12-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 185/140/120

Height: 5ft 4"

If I have a bad day (which is often) I just spread the excess out over the week and walk a little further or do an extra 10 or 15 minutes exercise here and there throughout the week to make up for it.

I try not to beat myself up, it will happen. I don’t want to spend every meal out thinking about calories or fat, I just want to enjoy it. I just make myself aware that there is some extra exercise required in the following days if I don’t want the excess to stick.

Tomorrow’s another day, be proud that the majority of days are ‘good’ days. In the past few years all my days were bad days, I didn’t think about what I ate and never exercised. Perhaps you were the same, so you have to be proud that now you go for days being good and have one indulgence day. Congratulations !
dubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #12  
Future Wonder Woman

Regarding eating bad one meal and thinking you blew it for the rest of the day: how about planning your "cheat meal" for dinner so that there are no meals left to mess up on? Of course there are snacks, but in my experience, it's a snowball effect, so if I only eat bad for dinner I am less likely to eat bad after that. Am I making any sense? I feel like I'm not.