Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #1  

Default hello everyone

Hi,
I'm new here. Male, 25 years old, and weigh in at about 270 lbs. I think I would be happy losing about 110 lbs but am really unsure of where to even start. I've tried some diets and weight loss pills which did no good. If I can get the courage to go back to the gym I would love to (I'm somewhat mentally ill).

I would love to make some friends here and am all ears when it comes to dieting/weight loss suggestions.
Chubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:58 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hi Chubz,

If you changed "Male" to "Female", that'd pretty much be my story 16 months ago.

Can I offer a few suggestions?

If you're uncomfortable going to the gym, don't force it. I started out at 295 lbs, feeling incredibly self conscious about exercising in front of people. So I started in my living room...a few resistance bands, my TV, and a 45 dollar rebounder/mini trampoline. Later I added in some other fitness videos. I ended up at a gym when it felt right for me, and I'm somewhat glad I waited. Now, though, its my favorite place (see the Exercise Accountability thread, where I'm bemoaning my knee injury and copious lack of gym time), so get going physically, even if its not at a gym.

Have you tried making any small changes yet? Small changes, in my opinion, lead to the biggest successes. Drinking more water, watching portions, and increasing fruit/veggie consumption are all good places to start, along with just a bit of physical activity. Other popular "first step" changes - cutting out soda if you drink it or switching to non-caloric drinks, increasing your fiber intake, or starting to eat breakfast. All of these can help battle pounds. Once you've got one addition under control, switch to another.

Keep posting here for support - you'll be well on your way to taking off weight.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:56 PM   #3  

Thanks for the suggestions. No, I haven't really made any small changes yet (well, other than switching to Diet soda). I have read mixed thoughts about Diet soda.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:00 AM   #4  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Hi,
I think everyone needs to find what works for them. Starting out is the hardest, but I truly think if you really want it you can do it. I count calories and exercise for 60 minutes a day. I started out real slow and have worked up to 60 minutes.
Can you afford buying a treadmill? or just start walking outside everyday. buy some weights and start lifting weights( I lift for 15 minutes a day). If you want this bad enough yo ucan do it!!
Find the group you feel good with ( I post at the 100 lb club), and you will find all the support you need. Cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #5  

I can't afford a treadmill at the moment and honestly have no where to put one in our house. I could however walk down the street each day. My motivation is nill although I really want to lose weight, I think it is depression dragging me down. I'll check into the 100lb club, thanks for your reply, see you there.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:19 PM   #6  
KEN

S/C/G: 293/188/???

Hi Chubz,

I replied to your PM - welcome and much success to you!!
KEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #7  
what to be a after

S/C/G: 224/224/160

Height: 5ft

Hi chubz I am new here too.

I just started counting calories and exercising yesterday, it wasnt so bad but it also was just the first day getting started was a big accomplishment for me so I am very proud of myself and now that I have started that is all it took to get me motivate I dont want to undo the what I have started.

I know the gym is where you go to lose weight and get in shape but I am not ready for that either, so I started out slow 30 minutes working out at home with dvds and I also have a treadmill that I plan to walk on.

You can start out walking in the morning or evening and build up your time and pace, try to drink more water and eat more fruits and vegetables, that is what I am trying to do,when I think about it in small steps it doesnt seem so bad, just a few simple changes to get you started. Good luck.
Tay72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:27 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/238/170

Height: 5'5

Welcome Chubz!

I'm really in the same boat, although it's more of a financial hold back that's keeping me from the gym. College is coming up for me and I have to save all my pennies for that. That's not to say I don't have plenty of free-time this summer, but again, same boat--'my motivation is nill'. It's so hard to just buckle down and exercise, but I finally started today. Put on music and a stopwatch and danced for half an hour ^_^; It's small, but it's a start!

Whatever may happen, don't give up, and I'm finding more and more that reading through these forums gives me a lot of motivation. It's incredible to see the transformations so many members have gone through, and I look forward to having a success story of my own some day

Again, welcome to the forums, and I hope to hear more from you!
azraelya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #9  
doinTHEbestIcan

Height: 5'4"

Welcome Chubz and Good Luck!!!
mrsgeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote