Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 PM   #1  

Default NEW and trying to pick a "diet"

Hi! I have only tried weight watchers; I have about 70 lbs to lose, and am trying to pick a diet I can stick with for the duration. I am a grad student and on the go a lot; I work 12 hour shifts as a nurse.

What plan are you doing, how much have you lost and in how much time?

What do you do for exercise? How do you get started exercising when you are SO OUT OF SHAPE?

I appreciate any advice! Thanks!
khakisack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:11 PM   #2  

Oh, and I live in Utah, AND I want somewhere that I can go weigh in!

I'm looking at Jenny Craig; LA Weight Loss, or Weight Watchers (again).
Old 06-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have done many different diets, for me I find calorie counting is best,it is flexible, reliable and costs nothing. Calorie counting and exercise works for me.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/115

Height: 5'5

Hi khakisack,

I also work 12 hour shifts (days/nights), I work in emergency services too.

I recommend calorie counting as well. In the long term, I believe it is the only one that works. However you need to make sure the calories you take in are proper ones.

Us "12 hour shifters" can't eat 3 meals a day. It's just not practical. I recommend you package your entire day's worth of food (I haul a huge bag to work) and divide it. I carry little ziploc bags of fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese and nuts (3 altogether, I change it up daily) in addition to my main (small) meals. I usually eat a small oatmeal breakfast before getting out the door at 5am, and a small meal when I get home at 8pm. I go by the "fist" rule - my meals are no bigger than my fist.

AVOID COFFEE AND BUYING FOOD!! While people with regular shifts can do this - it's really bad in the long term for shift workers. (I assume) you work nights like me? Until 7am? If we're going to do this for 20 years we have to avoid caffeine dependancy. Buying food leaves very unhealthy options at 4am and costs a lot.

This is all things I have learned the hard way over a few years of shift work.
marblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:01 PM   #5  

Yep, I work 12 hour night shifts, 7am-7pm; rotating sometimes to 12 hour day shifts.

With calorie counting are you weighing in at any center or program? For me, I feel I really need to for now to be accountable and get the "good girl" props.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

hello and

I am currently doing calorie counting. I like it because no foods are officially "off limits". I can basically eat anything as long as i practice moderation and common sense. I try to choose healthy calories that give me the biggest bang for the buck, but it is nice to know, if someone has a birthday and i eat a peice of cake, it doesnt ruin my day or program. I just work it in to fit in the calories for the day.

I have lost weight before doing WW. I lost 115 pounds in about year and a half. Decided i didnt need WW anymore (because i missed two meetings, they wouldnt give me the dang 100 pound ribbon ...long story). Anyway. I liked WW a lot because their plan gives you a lot of flexability, like calorie counting. It just seems practical for a lifetime. Some diet plans dont allow pizza or subway. Is it really realistic to NEVER HAVE pizza or NEVER have to grab food on the run? So i opt for plans where you can basically eat anywhere, as long as you watch your calories. I liked the weigh ins of WW, but then again i hated them. I knew the weeks i had been good and it was just water weight, but they would give me this look ...it just urked me. that is why i am going calorie counting this time around.

I had to start slow too with exercise. I was TERRIBLY and embarrasingly out of shape. It got to where i was out of breath just changing out the wash. Crazy that i let myself get that way. So i started slow with walking, pilates, and yoga. Mixing it up, so i didnt get bored with either.

At this point, i can tell a HUGE difference in my endurance. I swim 5 days a week with my daughter (7 yo). And i walk my dogs while my kids ride their bikes. Sometimes i ride mine, but my dogs pout if i dont walk them. And i still do the pilates and yoga. I like gardening and hiking too. Start with baby steps. You will be amazed at how fast your body wants to get back in the game of being healthy.

The important thing is: find something that works for YOU for LIFE.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote