Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/288/165

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Talking New Member In Vegas

Hello all!

Warning, LONG thread ahead, lots of photos...

My name is Tami, I'm 38 years old, and on what I hope is the last weight loss journey of my life!

I'm a mom to two great kids, Thomas, who is 10, and Gracie, who is 5. I have been married to my wonderful husband Ryan for 11 years, and we've been together for 15+. He's just the best.

I didn't grow up with a VISIBLE weight problem. I was always thin, and fit. I was absolutely "normal" and active. My mother however, saw it important to always tell me how "chubby" I was (size 7 is not chubby by any means at age 10) and continued that pattern all through my life. At high school's end, I was a size 13, but still looked really good. I mean, I look at pictures from then, and I was very cute! Here's a look at the little physical journey that has been my life...

Growing up:
7 years old...

9 years old...

15 years old...

16 years old...

Senior Year, age 18...

Senior Yearbook Picture, Age 18, Size 13...

Adulthood...weight starting to increase...
Age 23...

Age 24..

Age 25...

Age 26...

Age 28, 12 weeks after delivering my first baby...a 9 lb 1 oz baby boy...

After 2 kids (2nd baby 10 lbs 0 oz), in 2005, with Poker Legend Eric Seidel at the 2005 World Series Of Poker. I believe I weighed about 270 here, size 26...

A full body shot of me, same day, at the WSOP in 2005...

And the most recent...April 2007, 307 lbs, Age 38 1/2...

It was that picture that REALLY, believe it or not, pushed me over the edge. I was looking at that picture, at the sheer size of my backside in it, and I thought, "I don't understand how I do not see that in the mirror?" I guess my brain has been lying to me, and doing a fine job of it too. Well, that was my wake-up call, both for me, and my husband that I adore. We decided after that trip that enough was enough, that we were NOT passing into our 40's as fat people, unhealthy people, and we were going to work for it, and do it the old fashioned way. And so, it began.

We cut out junk food, fast food, sweets, pop, fried foods, basically, anything over 10 grams of fat per serving was out of the picture. We also GREATLY reduced portion sizes. This picture shows you what a typical portion size used to be for me. See that plate with chicken and rice? That's mine. Now add about 3-4 HUGE scoops of sour cream on top, and you have a typical dinner portion for me, before the change.

No more. Now my chicken with rice fits in one of my kid's cereal bowls, and has a 1/2 a spoonful of sour cream. No, you can't make me give up my low fat sour cream! :-)

So, life today is really very different. I am feeling better, looking better (still in small ways) and eating FAR FAR better. Gone are the 300 lb biker portions that used to be a part of everyday life. Gone is Taco Bell, and Wendys, and McDonalds (even for my kids! NO MORE!). Working out and swimming are my 2 new fave things to do!

I'm down 19 lbs as of 2 nights ago!! Start weight was 307.0, 2 nights ago I was 288. Hubby started at 427, and as of 2 nights ago, is at 411, so he's doing great too!!

Anyway, I know that's one **** of an introduction, but I just wanted to say that I'm looking forward to having some camaraderie and encouragement from others who have made this journey as well. I don't know ANYONE who has made over a 120 lb weight loss without bypass. Bypass is not a choice that I'm willing to make for me. I feel I need to relearn my life, relearn my eating, relearn my movement. FOR ME PERSONALLY, Bypass is not even an option. I need to do this the long way, the hard way, in order to re-learn the things that made me so unhealthy to begin with!

Anyway, here I am, and thanks for this forum. Can't wait to get to know you all!

Blessings and success!
-Tami

Last edited by VegasMama; 06-13-2007 at 04:54 PM.
VegasMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Welcome Tami! Great photos! Congratulations on the loss! And you have found the #1 best place on the internet for camaraderie and encouragement in your quest to become more healthy!

And no, you can't take away my sour cream either (although I also can't stand the low fat or fat free kind--I have to have the real thing). You might check this out:http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102439
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #3  

Thanks for the welcome and the link! I must admit, I didn't get past "looks like vaseline"! Ewww! Going to read the rest though! :0) Thanks!!
Old 06-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi TAMI . . .

You have definitely come to the right place for lots of support and friendship as you travel the long winding road to better health and fitness, Chickie. With your attitude and committment, you can definitely make it all come true. Having your DH on the same journey with you should also prove to be a great benefit.

This is a big site, girl . . . have a good look around and just jump in and start posting wherever something catches your attention. I know you will be welcomed with a great big wherever you go around here. Tell your hubby that 3FC is not "for women only". He'd be welcome too. We do have a few regular Roosters on the boards.

Anyway, you have a great moving and shaking evening of doing nothing but good stuff. Hope to see you later . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Glad to see you and your husband are in this together, it will be so much easier.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

We have a couple new members in the maintenance section that are a husband and wife that each lost considerable weight (look for John's story in the goals met section). It is a lot easier when you have someone to lose with.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hi and Welcome, Tami!

I am so, so happy for you! Seeing people make the switch from less-healthy habits to more healthy ones never fails to make my day. Can't wait to see that picture on the beach as your "before" when you make goal!

Keep posting! Look forward to getting to know you.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #8  

You guys are all so wonderful! Thank you so much for the super nice welcome!! I have a client tonight, and then a workout at the gym, but once I get home, I'm going to come explore the site a bit, as well as link my husband here. Thank you so much!! I can't wait to get started around these parts!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

Freakin' awesome intro, Tami. It's so wonderful to run into you here. Your presence and enthusiasm just might make me post more.
MaWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:16 PM   #10  
Counting Calories is fun!

S/C/G: 201/192/148

Height: 5' 8"

Tami,
Great post! I'm relatively new here too and have found great support so far. You've got me thinking about posting some of my pictures from thin to where I am now!

It's wonderful that your whole family is making the switch to a more healthy lifestyle. Only good can come of it!

Welcome!
AnneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:35 PM   #11  

Welcome! What a good post! I love pics! You will do great!!
tweetyistruckin is offline   Reply With Quote