Hello from the vicar - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 318

Height: 5'4"

Default Hello from the vicar

Hello, everyone:

Glad to find this forum!

I live in a semi-rural community, so no real doctors here and the State has been threatening to close the only hospital for incompetence.

I've tried to lose weight, but 1) I take dilantin for epilespy although I rarely have seizures (check google for how dilantin messes with insulin) and 2) one lobe of my thyroid is constantly swollen. Had that checked, and the doc did a biopsy and drained the nodule -- no cancer at that time, but no recommendations for treatment, either.

But, somehow, in spite of all the above, I want to get the weight off. I dislike cooking and I'm vegetarian, so I eat a lot of raw fruit (not out of righteousness but because it's easy), plus two scrambled eggs (also easy), a 1/4 cup of almonds, a croissant, a cup of coffee (with 2% milk, no sugar), and several cups of decaf tea (black) each day. I'm not attracted to flavors, so I don't get bored eating the same stuff.

I don't think my diet is wildly out of wack, but I obviously need to exercise more: I spend many hours dealing with computer problems and various related tasks for people who aren't technical, plus I like to knit (a lot) which isn't very good for exercising, either. I also severly damaged a knee while roller skating (snapped the anterior cruciate ligament). So, I need recommendations for in-office exercises that don't involve stress on the knees. Anyone? Thank you.

All blessings!
vicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/170

Height: 5'10"

Have you tired water areobics? Thats really easy on your joints
pinupqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #3  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Hello vicar! to 3FC!

I have to say that I will picture you as Dawn French (Vicar of Dibley) but you threw me a loop in bio that your name is Alice! If you haven't seen the show than this may not be at all funny to you, but if you have then I am sure you will understand.

I'm not sure on the in-office exercise good on knees. I have trouble with my knees and love using the elliptical at the gym, but that probably doesn't help answer your question.

It sounds like you have a lot of medical issues to deal with that will make things harder. I know that everyone always gives this advice, but it is a great idea to track what you eat for a week or two to see where your calories are coming from. It can be so enlightening. Nuts are one of those things for me - I love them but I have horrible portion control with them since they are so high calorie.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:00 PM   #4  

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheCheat View Post
Hello vicar! to 3FC!

I have to say that I will picture you as Dawn French (Vicar of Dibley) but you threw me a loop in bio that your name is Alice! If you haven't seen the show than this may not be at all funny to you, but if you have then I am sure you will understand.
Thank you for your reply. I own all the Vicar of Dibley tapes, and, yes, Dawn French and I have the same sort of bodily shape. (I lack the accent, however.)
Old 06-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinupqueen View Post
Have you tired water areobics? Thats really easy on your joints
Would love to try: lack of pool facilities, however.

Although I will take your suggestion into consideration when I go on vacation: most motels out here have some sort of pool. Hmmm.

Thanks!