Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #1  

Unhappy sad about curves

I just joined Curves thinking that it would be great for me to get moving and hopefully lose some of this weight.

I have to say that coming on here today has really discouraged me a lot!

First of all, I learned here that Curves is totally ineffective. I read this in the review of different diets here. Since I just joined and only have had 6 workouts so far, I have a long way of wasted time, I guess.

The second thing I learned here is about all the loose and saggy skin I will no doubt be left with if I get to my goal of losing about 50 pounds. I hadn't even thought about this, but now I'm thinking about how saggy my face will look and my arms, and especially my legs and belly.

My dream is just to be able to wear some shorts and look halfway decent, but I'm really not thinking I'll feel comfortable doing that and I'm afraid about how my face will look - wrinkly, jowly and loose!

Plastic surgery is out of the question since I am severely doctor phobic.

I know losing weight is healthy, and the things I have learned are all probably true and valuable, but it is very discouraging for me.

grayhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #2  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Any diet and exercise plan will work if you work it.

if you stick to a healthy eating plan and you get some exercise a few times a week you will see a difference.... as for the saggy skin you can mositurize and you can exercise and you should lose the weight very very slowly give the skin time to adjust... some folks will have saggy skin... some will not... everyone is different.

as for shorts... I wore them and tank tops at 300 pounds and who cares what others think. I'm too beautiful inside and out to worry about others. you are too.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:53 PM   #3  
The last 10

S/C/G: 200/140/130

Height: 5'8"

It is true that after a certain amount of time you do need to change up your exercise routine. But most important, for a person just starting to exercise Curves is a wonderful option. Any exercise is better than none at all. You will just have to add other routines to your exercise program. Not to mention the support you get from others there and then you can always show the newbies a thing or two when they join. Also, I lost 50 lbs. and nothing sags once I started with small weights and a firming program. I am almost 50 and besides the normal wrinkles, nothing really sags or is really loose.
Most importantly don't be discouraged. I don't think that even the simplest thing done, or the amount of money spent, is a waste if it is to improve your health in the long term.....always keep trying!
Currydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #4  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

You have received some great words of wisdom all I can do is echo them. Three years ago I started with Curves -- it is the absolute best starting point for exercise. After about 6 months I realized I had to do more - you really really need to have the three components. Eat right + exercise + water = healthy life and loss of weight. I am now in my 50's and I do three fitness classes a week and for this month I have added three nights of bootcamp I would not be where I am now without that starting point of Curves.

Choosing Curves is nothing to be sad about -- just make sure you do something else on the off days. A good brisk 30 minute walk is very good for you - -help get those legs in short shape.

Hang in there.
Jayjay55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #5  
hara hachi bu

I've lost over 50 and nothing sags yet. I have more to lose and I fully expect to sag by the end of it. Sags happen, even if you don't lose weight - just with age.

Weight loss can seem overwhelming, especially at first. It's not impossible, and what seems like "work" at first soon becomes second nature, a part of you.

For me, it boils down to quality of life. I want my body to perform at its best for years to come.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #6  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Wink

I agree with everyone and also have learned while advice from others is great you still need to find what is Right for you. Just because curves wasn't right for some people doesn't mean it isn't right for you.

I have 100+ to lose and I am pretty sure there is going to be some sagging and I also don't wear short,but I think I will deal with the "what if's" when they actually happen and focus on the here and now.

Right now my goal is losing weight and getting healthy.

Also the thing about exercise is...start somewhere whether is curves or doing DVDs at home, don't give up before you've even started,
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think Curves is great for those that need a push to get them started initially in exercise. I would recommend going as much as you can and also know that you should grow out of it. I would recommend trying to exercise every day, so if you aren't going to Curves, I'd recommend going for a walk.

As far as sagging skin, it really depends on what you have to work with and your own genetics. Not everyone has saggy skin. Also, skin does firm up somewhat with time. Those of us who have been over 100 lbs overweight are usually the ones that worry about sagging skin more than others but even then it is better to be free of the weight and have a little saggy skin than to be overweight.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have been going to Curves and have found it to be very effective.I have been going for 3 years.In any exercise program you get out of it what you put into it.About the loose and saggy skin, you can avoid that by exercise.

I have been a member for 3 years,about the loose and saggy skin, the way to avoid that is to exercise
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #9  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayhenry View Post
I know losing weight is healthy, and the things I have learned are all probably true and valuable, but it is very discouraging for me.

Being overweight is hard on the body, inside and out. We may be left with sagging skin. We may need something more robust than Curves. And that is just the price we pay.

BUT having this knowledge shouldn't be discouraging. Having this knowledge will better prepare you for weight loss, maintenance, and feeling better about yourself because you'll have more control and can make the right decisions as you go along. So there's really a silver lining in all of this
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #10  
Crazy Diet

Height: 162cm

What works for other people might not work for you and vice versa.

Since you already joined it, then don't let what you read discourage you !
A lot of people posted positive feedback and some negative, I believe for many systems it is always like that. So just try it and see if it works for you or no.

About the saggy skins, well you can deal with them later, dealing with them is less frustating than a diet.

Good luck!
cherrylinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #11  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I don't want to sound snarky, because I don't mean it that way AT ALL... but you just started... why not cross the bridge of disappointment IF you ever get to it at all? You are worried about something that hasn't even happened yet and assuming the worst. As others have said... what works for some, doesn't work for others; at least you could TRY and get every penny out of it instead of seeing it as wasted money and time.

I lost 62lbs on WW (I gained it back, but that's another story) and NOTHING on my body sagged. Well, maybe my boobs a little but that probably had more to do with age and gravity than with losing weight

Just try it ~ you already joined, it could help you make exercise more of a habit for yourself and then there was no time actually wasted!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey grayhenry, I belonged to Curves for over a year, and it helped me get started on exercising again. I really liked the idea of the different stations and using different muscle groups, and only spending so much time on each machine. It helped keep my interest, and the workout was done before I knew it. I lost weight going to Curves, and inches too.

So don't let other people's experiences and opinions make you feel down. Go try it! You'll see--it's fun. The day may come when you "outgrow" it, but that's a ways down the road. You are the only one who can decide if it's good for you.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:24 PM   #13  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

You can make it work. I've heard great things about Curves. Zonya Foco, an RD, author and host of her own PBS show, Zonya's Health Bites, endorses Curves on her show and likes how the machines give you resistence the whole way through the rep.

You just continue on with what you are doing. Don't worry about other people's opinions. Give it a chance. It might be just what YOU are looking for, regardless of what other's experiences have been.

Don't get discouraged. Be strong.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:25 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 211/200/165

Height: 5' 2.5" (HW: 222)

Default Fear not the Curves!

Dear Grayhenry, everyone here is all for you continuing at Curves.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." The fact is, you made a first step! You joined a gym. That's good news, and you have every reason to be glad you did. It'll get you out of the house, and active! You were looking up Curves here to find others to help support your choice. Well you know what? You have. You just found the wrong thread first, that's all. Start your own thread, but base it on positive Curves experiences. On your first post, observe that that's what you're looking for, that folks who disagree are respectfully requested to do their own, different thread, not post on yours.

Right now you are to be commended for starting to take control of your health. Find others at Curves, and encourage each other! Remember: You only get out of something what you put into it!! Put yourself and your heart into getting the most out of Curves, and you will.
FatToFitVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #15  

Oh I feel better. I was really happy about Curves and enjoying the workouts. But then I came here and thought I'd read the reviews of the different diets, etc., and that's when I saw that the review said that Curves is not a good workout. Yikes! Ouch!

So I'm going to forget about that. I will definitely keep going to Curves and I do feel that I will probably 'outgrow' it, with any luck. I know that if I consistently go 3X a week, I will be looking for something more strenuous in a year or so. For me, it is like training wheels.

thank you for all the happy and supportive words. I don't post on here a lot, but I do read and get a lot of info. You ladies are all very helpful.

grayhenry is offline   Reply With Quote