Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 348/322/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Hi, Everyone!!!

Hi, Everyone! I'm here because I've dropped out of WW's for at least the 7th or 8th time in the last 29 years - yikes! has it been 29 years??? I joined the first time with my best friend when I was a junior in high school in 1978. I'm not knocking WW's because I know it works for some people, just not me. I've finally accepted what I told my doctor back in December when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. He kept encouraging me to join WW's again and I kept telling him it wasn't going to work. I promised I'd try it for 4 wks., I kept my promise, and I'm not going back. I know that keeping track of points/calories/fat grams/etc. or eating only certain foods, like potatoes, only once a day is NEVER going to work for me. What I need to find out is what WILL work for me. That's why I'm here. To learn what works for others, try it, and see if it works for me. If it works, great. If it doesn't, well, at least I've learned something. Btw, I did lose weight while going to WW's - 7lbs. in 4 wks. - but I lost it by watching the portions I was eating and trying to eat when I was actually hungry. Exercise is another problem for me because I absolutely hate it! I have, however, come to accept that I NEED to exercise to help control my glucose levels. My doctor insists on 30 mins. a day every day, but I'm not there yet. Not because I can't exercise for 30 mins., but because I don't want to - it's that simple. I have come to the realization that doing something I can keep up with on a regular basis is better than forcing myself to do something I know isn't going to be long term and eventually I'll stop doing altogether. I know I can exercise for 15 to 20 mins. 4 or 5 times a week, and that's what I'm going to do for right now. Then, later I'll try to work up to 30 mins. every day. Right now, forcing myself is only going to cause me to fail and abandon everything. I've always been my own harshest critic and considered myself a failure because I couldn't get down to 135 lbs., or into a size 6, or exercise an hour every single day. Finally, at age 46, I've decided to just be me and stop trying to be someone I'm not. It's incredibly freeing to no longer feel guilty that I'm not skinny. It's just not who God created me to be. There are few naturally thin people on either side of my family. There are quite a few who are able to monitor their weight and when it starts creeping up they eat a little less or exercise a little more, but the majority of my family are overweight to obese. There, I've said it. And it's ok. I'm not in this to get skinny or fit into a certain size any more, I WANT to lose weight so I can be healthy - so I don't lose my eye sight, kidneys, limbs, etc. to this wretched diabetes. I watched my brother die a horribly agonizing death from diabetes less than a month after his 49th birthday. I will NOT let his death be in vain and not learn from it! Anyway, that's a little about me and why I'm here. Thanks, in advance, for the help each of you will be contributing to my journey to becoming healthier. Today I'm choosing to : (actually I'm walking, not running)
BreezySummerDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My son is diabetic and by dieting and losing 80 pounds and doing a lot of exercise he no longer has to take medication for his diabetes.He still needs to lose more but is very happy at his doctor's report.You can do it , too!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

WELCOME. Going on a diet never worked for me either. January 10th of this year my brain finally accepted NO MORE DIETS. I read YOU on a diet by Oz and Roizen and I came here. I then read SuperfoodsRX by Pratt. Those 2 books and the change in my lifestyle, and 3fatchicks have changed the way I think. I eat vegetables, fruit, turkey, fish, buffalo, cereals high in fiber like Fiber One & Kashi go lean, and low fat dairy(soy milk & yogurt). I am never hungry, I eat every 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I count calories and yes I exercise everyday and not because I like it but I wouldn't go a night without sleep and I won't go a day without exercising. I walk, weight train, elliptical, bike ride whatever it takes. I will never be skinny. My goal weight was set by my doctor. If I don't achieve it I don't care. I am healthier now and will be healthier when I get to a normal weight. Why do I tell you this? Because if I can do this anyone can. I will reach a normal weight and you can too. Get your head in the right place and anyone can do this. If you cut out the junk, your body will no longer crave it after awhile. At least that has been my experience. Good luck. There are alot of terrific people here. I post on the 100 lb. club often. Come visit us.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/200/160

Height: 5:3

Today, I can't walk...I have always loved walking. I have always been a chubby who enjoyed exercise. I was on thyroid medication for 20 years
and move and changed doctors..He took me off of thyroid, and I am a
chubby mess..today I can't walk because my thighs are to fat. My back
hurts with so much pain...and I can't stand myself. I would get cold, and
would not move much to keep warm. I go walking at a store and push
a cart I am fine. Take the cart away from me, and I can't walk. The
doctor is trying to get the weight off by getting the excess fluid from
my body...I did this to myself..and now I a going to suffer for it..I am
a person that loves to exercise....I need to lose 40 pounds bad....Like
most of you I have tried every diet there is. Has any one out here
tried Michael Thurman's diet...If so..would you drop me a line on here and
tell me how you did on it...We all are on here for a reason..and we feel
desperate...Thank you for letting me post this...and God Bless you all
for trying to diet....It seems like we are always on a diet...
seasonedcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 174/173/150

Height: 5'5"

i hate excercise too!!! I just got off the phone with my sister who used to weigh like 250 and is now down to 160 she excercises EVERY day and insisted that i get off my butt and start doing the same. It's more of a mental block than anything and I'm not sure why? I post on the 100 pound club and that's a nice group of people so you may want to come there and join us. Welcome!!!
bigjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 317/36/145

Height: 5'9''

Default bad sleep apnea!

I don't have diabetes but I have horrible sleep apnea which makes me constantly cranky and tired. I like to excercise but I'm always so tired.

Don't feel bad about not liking excercise, for people who didn't excercise alot as children, the same dopamine pathways in the brain don't exist and so it isn't as rewarding as for those who did excercise alot as children/teens. But, the good news is that you can form new pathways at any age if you excercise enough. So there's some encouragement for you! Maybe one day you will like excercise for a purely physiological reason!

best wishes,
evilah
Evilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:43 AM   #7  
Jazzercise away the fat!!

S/C/G: 215/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations on your decision to start living healthy!! Good luck in your journey!
mamaplots is offline   Reply With Quote