Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

Default I'm new and need support!

Hello!

I am a 33 year-old stay-at-home-mom. My weight issues started after I had my first child in 1996. Before then, through college, I hung around the 125-130 range. Perhaps a touch overweight, but for my frame type (between med & large) it wasn't too bad. I was usually about an 8 in those years. In the summers I would lose weight due to increased activity, so could get down to around 120. The summer before my senior year I was down to between 115 & 120, and was in a size 6.

The day before my son was born, I weighed 158 lbs. After he was born I was down to 142 and in a size 12. Still not too bad, but I started to gain weight over the years. If I could have just lost that 12-20 lbs back then I may have done okay. By 1999 I was I think up to between 185 & 190.

We had trouble conceiving a second time, and by the time we did in 2003, I was 196. I only gained 8 lbs in my second pregnancy, ending it at 204. Immediately after our daughter's birth I was down to 187. Again, if I could have just continued to lose, I might have made out better, but now the weight has continued to go up.

At the end of Feb. 2006 my husband & I started a healthier eating & exercise regimen. Just mild exercise, but it was still exercise. At the time of starting, I was up to 202.

Then in April 2006, I had gotten down to about 194. Then I learned that I was expecting again after an OB/GYN visit due to extreme bouts of pain and some other symptoms. At first I was elated, but the negative symptoms continued. A week later I learned why, and that is because the baby was in my left tube and the tube had ruptured. I had to have emergency surgery and ended up with a large incision and a rather lengthy recovery time (for me).

Whenever I calculated the time of conception, I realized it coincided pretty well with when we started our healthy regimen. That discouraged me because I didn't know if the weight loss (only about 2.5 lbs a week) was due to our healthy living or being pregnant and not knowing it.

Between the emotions following the loss of the baby, the physical recovery, and then the discouragement about how the weight loss occurred, I wasn't ready to start anything again until the end of this March. By that time there were moments when the scale read 210. I knew I had to do something. I might not have a tiny frame, but that is still WAY too much.

Here is where I am having problems. Last year, I was following a modified Eating for Life thing (didn't follow the Body for Life exercise regimen, but exercised). I never felt deprived or hungry. I always felt that we were doing healthy things, and the idea of a "free day" was a comfort. It really felt like something I could stick to

But this year, I was sucked in by the wonderful reports from those who have used South Beach. While for the longest time I thought I couldn't manage low-carb, reports of up to 14 lbs lost in the first two weeks made me think maybe I could.

I first started on March 30 at 208 lbs, and only made it until April 2. I was sick of nothing but eggs for breakfast and salads for lunch. I was tired of all the time I had to spend in the kitchen, between preparing the foods and cleaning up, and all the money I had to spend. And I missed fruit. And it was before Easter, probably not the best time to start. So we decided to wait until April 16. I started again on April 16, back at 208 lbs, and made it this time until April 20, ending at about 205 lbs. I had even modified things so that I was eating SB Phase 1 foods, but not exactly what was in the 2 week plan in the book. But I got to the 20th and really wanted pizza for dinner, and that's what we had.

In this time, I had also been looking at "You: On a Diet" which seemed very nutritionally sound, and like something I could stick with easier. So I started that this past Monday, April 23. Only problem--I started to gain weight back! That discouraged me right away, so I quit that.

So now I don't know what to do. I'm still tempted to try South Beach once again to jump start things, but I feel I'm jumping all over the place here. I wonder if starting Eating for Life again would make a difference. It seemed like such a liveable plan. With the others, you have to cut so very many things out and you pretty much shouldn't make mistakes, because the weight comes right back on.

I have about 85 lbs to lose. That's a lot. It has piled on over the course of about 10 years or so, but I don't want to take 10 years to lose it. Every year my husband & I talk about how we want to lose weight by his family reunion in July, but we never do. A friend of mine is also getting married at the end of July. I am enough of a realist to know that it would be very risky to try to lose everything in just a couple months. But it does seem that about a 2 lb a week loss would be reasonable, and would start to make me feel better, too.

I just really need support here. I don't know what is going to work for me!!
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

You sound like me--someone who doesn't like to be told what you can and cannot eat. Why not try calorie counting? While most of us also eat healthy alternatives--whole grains over white and limit processed foods--we also know that we can fit in any food we want as long as it keeps us within our daily calorie range (and yes, i eat pizza, too but usually homemade on whole wheat crust). Check out more of the forums--especially the whole foods and calorie counters threads.
Good luck and welcome!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 187/187/145

Height: 5'03

Hey LUVMYFAM!!! I know how you feel about gaining weight. I used to be really tiny 120 and my highest weight was like 190. It made me feel awful. Like when I ran into people I hadn't seen in along time. I am still very overweight now, but I am trying to lose my weight. I have done weight watchers which is an awesome plan. I just fell off the wagon for several months. Now I am doing Atkins. I had done Atkins before and I did lose weight. I just gave up on that too. Now I have almost been on Atkins for 2 wks. and have lost 8 lbs. I had terrible headaches the first few days from lack of carbs. But I hung in there and the cravings did pass. You should give South Beach another try. Just keep the tylenol close by. I really don't get as tired of the eggs and salads like I did in the beginning. Occassionally I do have sweet cravings, but I fight them off with more water and sugar free jello. Its not so bad. So whatever you decide you have come to the right place for lots of support. Take care!!!! -Paula

Last edited by pacemomof4; 04-26-2007 at 05:47 PM. Reason: wrong name!
pacemomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187/187/145

Height: 5'03

Allinnell you are absoultely right about the calorie counting. That is what I did on ww. It is definately a good choice. And it is healthy and works!!!
pacemomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #5  

Default Thanks!

Thank you for the welcome, Alinnel and Peacemomof4!

I really appreciate the support. Calorie counting is something to think about. I think part of why Eating for Life was so nice was that it was about eyeballing portions, balancing what you were eating (protein & healthy carb, which included fruit, unlimited veggies). It was so darn easy to follow, and there was that free day!!

I may give South Beach one last try to get started. See how it goes. The first round I did get those headaches terribly, even though I only stayed on it for 2-1/2 days. We'll see!!

Thanks again!
Old 04-27-2007, 04:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 146/135/122

Height: 5'4"

Hello luvmyfam! What happened in your pregnancy happened to my mother as well. It's actually a pretty rare occurance but it's heartbreaking and she still is sad about it during the week she lost her baby in 1981. I completely understand the emotional up and down involved with that just from seeing my mom. Good luck, I'm new here as well and hope to see you around.
seagreenwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagreenwater View Post
Hello luvmyfam! What happened in your pregnancy happened to my mother as well. It's actually a pretty rare occurance but it's heartbreaking and she still is sad about it during the week she lost her baby in 1981. I completely understand the emotional up and down involved with that just from seeing my mom. Good luck, I'm new here as well and hope to see you around.
Thank you. It isn't all that common, and it was one thing I always dreaded for some reason. Yes, it was heartbreaking. I almost think a "regular" early term miscarriage would have been easier to accept than this. It hurt so badly that if our baby had been in the right place, I'd most likely have a 6 month-old right now. I had a more extensive surgery than the laproscopic surgery they projected, due to the bleeding and an adhesion, so I had 6 weeks of recovery (no lifting over 15 lbs, that sort of thing). Then when I checked the dates, I realized that the baby was conceived around the same time we started our healthier eating thing last year, so I thought maybe I had lost the weight due to being pregnant and not knowing it. So I really discouraged myself and gave up for a year.

Now, it's still hard with certain anniversaries, so I totally believe that it is still hard on your mom each year.

Thank you for the kind words!
Old 05-15-2007, 01:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 166/163.5/120

Height: 5.1

I am very sorry about your loss. I couldn't even imagine such a thing. You are very brave to come here and share with everyone. You will get alot of support.
I have also tried the Body For Life program and I loved it also. My problem is that I have hypothyroidism and if I become very sedentary my metabolism actually shuts down and I cannot lose weight no matter what. I was acttually doing the exercise program also. I still could not lose weight on it though. It wasn't until I got a very physical job that I lost 60 lbs. But I believe the eating program is very sound. And the free day does give you incentive.
Now I basically combine the Eating For Life program with the weight watchers program so I am not going over my calorie needs for the day. I believe that the healtiest way to eat is combining a protein with a complex carb and adding fruits and vegtables and limiting your unhealhty fats.
Good Luck to you and welcome!
tooaud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Welcome and good luck. My highest weight , that I am aware of was 206, I didn't weigh very often at that time. I lost and regained and restarted at 176 and my goal now is 128,,and I am short, too. Our numbers are similar.....we Can do it.Good luck.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #10  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I am sorry for your loss and know how devastating that can be, what an impact it can have on weight (I think there is a strong hormonal component too!).

I am in the same boat as you, trying to nail down "the answer" and I think that calorie counting is a great idea.

Best of luck!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooaud2 View Post
I am very sorry about your loss. I couldn't even imagine such a thing. You are very brave to come here and share with everyone. You will get alot of support.
I have also tried the Body For Life program and I loved it also. My problem is that I have hypothyroidism and if I become very sedentary my metabolism actually shuts down and I cannot lose weight no matter what. I was acttually doing the exercise program also. I still could not lose weight on it though. It wasn't until I got a very physical job that I lost 60 lbs. But I believe the eating program is very sound. And the free day does give you incentive.
Now I basically combine the Eating For Life program with the weight watchers program so I am not going over my calorie needs for the day. I believe that the healtiest way to eat is combining a protein with a complex carb and adding fruits and vegtables and limiting your unhealhty fats.
Good Luck to you and welcome!
Thank you so much, Audrey!

I have known other people with hypothyroidism, and I know that a hard time losing weight was always a side-effect...opposite what happens to those with hyperthyroidism. Are you on a med for it?

Yes, I do feel that the Eating for Life/Body for Life eating plan is very sound. It's calorie-cutting in a sense, but it's easier to maintain than having to weigh and measure everything...and YES! That free day is great, and I'm also impressed by those who have been able to maintain their loss. So many plans don't hold up so well 5 years down the road. I'm still not sure what I will choose to do...EfL (since I was never good at following the BfL exercise plan) or calorie counting, or a combination of both, with my own excercise regimen (lol).

It's so hard, isn't it? I am firmly of the belief that no one plan works for every person. That's why every plan out there has people who have had success on it.

Thanks for writing!
Old 05-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Welcome and good luck. My highest weight , that I am aware of was 206, I didn't weigh very often at that time. I lost and regained and restarted at 176 and my goal now is 128,,and I am short, too. Our numbers are similar.....we Can do it.Good luck.

Hello, and thanks! I hadn't been weighing much last Feb, assuming I was still hanging around 196. Got on the scale and it was 202! And this year, I learned I got as high as 210. Yikes!!

You're right that our numbers are similar, and you are right that we can do this!! I can't believe I waited this long to check out the site. I had seen the 3FC tickers somewhere else, but never looked further. This is such a terrific resource.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
I am sorry for your loss and know how devastating that can be, what an impact it can have on weight (I think there is a strong hormonal component too!).

I am in the same boat as you, trying to nail down "the answer" and I think that calorie counting is a great idea.

Best of luck!
Hi, there,

Thank you. I think you are right. Surgery in itself I think puts the body in a shock mode. And with a large vertical incision, something I think really happened because my tummy seems bigger/flabbier than it ever was.

Trying to nail down the answer is hard. I just keep feeling, in my gut, that portion control/calorie counting, while allowing a free day , is what's going to work for me. I said it somewhere else, I'm fine with a slow and steady loss rather than a fast & fluctuating loss.

However, I've decided to do the updated Slim Fast plan for 2-3 weeks. I have been pleasantly surprised by the loss I'm having this week, and I haven't reached a "panic/give-up" state yet...better than I managed on South Beach-haha. I don't plan on staying on long-term because I know I get bored and if I try to do this for longer than 2 or 3 weeks, I'll probably mess myself up. But I've noticed that my days are around 1,300-1,400 calories. I figure when I go back to eating mostly whole foods, if I still stick around that calorie range I will still be losing weight. I've done some reading on the calorie counting forum, and it does seem like a good place for me.

Good luck!