Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #1  
Glassblowing Traveler...

Smile New to the forum: Glassblower from Toledo, OH

Hi all!

I'm a 50 year old female who is finally taking steps to live a healthier life! I made this decision one month ago today, and I'm really happy with how I'm doing! I'm trying to be reasonable and sensible about losing weight and improving my health, particularly because I had some very serious eating disorders when I was younger.

Yes, I do find myself obsessing about food: What to eat, what NOT to eat, how MUCH to eat, WHEN to eat... But I'm trying to keep it in check, and look at this new lifestyle as an adventure!

So far, I have made some good changes in my life:
  • I've cut out ALL soda. I used to drink regular, not diet, sodas.
  • I am drinking plenty of water.
  • I am eating three meals a day and two healthy snacks.
  • I make SURE that I eat breakfast every morning, even though that's very hard for me.
  • I am paying attention to each bite of food I eat, chewing it thoroughly, and eating slowly enough to know when I've had enough.
  • I'm practicing healthy portion control.
Now I need to figure out a way to work some exercise into my life. I have some breathing issues (COPD, etc) and they impact my ability to exercise. Plus, I hate exercising. LOL!

I am a glassblower, and I travel a LOT! I have found that it's VERY difficult to find healthy food on the road. I am leaving for a month in Europe on May 6th, and I'm terrified that I will gain back the 12 pounds I have lost so far.

Nice to meet you all!

Tinkster
Tinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Hello yourself

Welcome, Tinkster. I am new, too, and get the feeling that there aren't so many of us over 50-ish on this forum. It comes with its own set of challenges, doesn't it?

I have been on the Fat Smash Diet since Monday and love it. I have no cravings. I don't even have the book yet; I hear there is a new one out April 3, so am waiting. I just read the book review on this site, and have followed from that. I am doing myfitday, too, and it is amazing to see 1200 calories so balanced and giving me 30 to 35 gms. of fiber. The last time I was this calm about food, I was on Fen/phen! Oh, and a I have lost 3 #s. All water, to be sure, but I wasn't gettting rid of it any other way.

I wish you great success.
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #3  
Glassblowing Traveler...

Thank you, maryblu!

I had a huge, fast weight gain when menopause kicked in. Nothing else about my diet or lifestyle had changed at all. It was weird. I figured that was my lot in life, and that there was nothing I could do about it.

But I'm a little ornery and stubborn, and finally decided to reclaim my life.
Tinkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

Welcome to 3FC!! I really admire that you have such a creative career. I have always wanted to learn glassblowing and pottery. I'm a terrible artist though, so I don't know how I'd be at either one!

We actually do have quite a few 50+ women around here...I can't tell you where they are right now, but we got em! I'm 38, but I am also (surgically) post menopausal. I can sympathize with the weight gain and slow weight loss. Good luck to you, I'm sure you will do great, because you sure sound determined!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote