Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-14-2007, 03:36 PM   #1  

Unhappy Just getting started

I'm new to the whole diet thing, I have always been tall and skinny (well except for the huge hips ha ha) but after having two kids and not working for over a year I have definelty packed on the pounds. I have been trying to eat better and work on portion size, but all I seem to eat is grilled chicken, salad, and fruit. I have told my husband to stay on me about eating sweets, and he does, but he always feels bad because it's so hard for me and I try to make excuses why it's ok to eat some. Do I have to completly cut out sweets or is it true all things in moderation? I need to lose at least 50lbs and I try to exercise everyday either 25 minutes on my elliptical (1 mile) and 100 cruchies, or walking 2 miles to take my son to school, is that enough? I have been getting discouraged because it seems like you are working hard but you don't really feel like you are getting anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.
sugarfreak0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

Welcome, Some people like me are sugar addicts. I cannot have one bite of anything with sugar or I won't stop until it is gone. Others can eat one bite of dark chocolate and put it down until the next day. Not me. So it depends on you. If you can just eat a little and be satisfied great. Good luck. Keep a exercise and food journal either on line or with a notebook at home. It helps. You can eat lots more than just chicken, salad and vegetables. That is totally up to you.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:56 PM   #3  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Hi Sugarfreak and

OK well the first thing is that you've made a decision to change your life and tackle your 50 lbs. It sounds though as if you're not entirely sure how you want to go about it. I'm guessing you haven't decided on a specific plan - e.g. weight watchers, south beach etc. That's fine and you don't have to - I personally don't either.

If you're just approaching a "general" diet with a view to changing your lifestyle you may want to look into calorie counting. You can eat anything and lose weight if you really want to but some choices are obviously better than others - especially on a regular basis. It sounds like you're doing better on the exercise front but remember that even really good nutritious food has calories and you will not lose weight if you eat too much of it. I recommend that you drop into the calorie counter's forum, explain you're new and ask for some guidance. Good luck and don't be sad already - you will get help here
Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:25 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey,

I've been around here for awhile, and I found it's helpful for me to know calories in (food) and calories out (exercise) so I have a better idea of where I'm at. Some foods are really easy for me to overeat without knowing it.

Many people here use the FitDay tracking program, but there are others as well. Look around on the internet. It's pretty easy to use--you can set up a goal and work toward it.

Just find something you can make work! I eat a lot of Lean Cuisines--I call it the "poor woman's Jenny Craig" --but I also supplement with fresh vegetables and fruits.

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote