Old 11-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/246/180

Height: 5'8

Default Pregnancy and IP - Trying to conceive

Hey guys,

I know there are a couple of IP-related pregnancy success stories around (Jordana for sure). I'm wondering if anyone has any input, etc., about using IP while trying to get pregnant. My IP coach is actually working out of my obgyn's office. She indicated that this program was great for shedding weight and wouldn't prevent me from getting pregnant. I am 36 and DH is 38 and we just started TTC a few months ago. My obgyn has said to give it six months on our own before coming back to get any sort of fertility help. He also recommended I try to drop some weight prior to conceiving. My six months will be up around the end of January. I'm hoping to have lost around 30 lbs by then.

My coach says that I would have to stop using IP if I get pregnant (which of course I would do) but that being on IP why trying to get pregnant is okay. I already have very regular cycles and ovulate each month, but I'm wondering about what I've been reading on the boards about cycles becoming irregular. Any insight?
TennesseeLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

everyone is different, and while i dont know much about IP, i gather its a very high protein, very low carb (passibly with protein supplements/drinks?), low cal and low fat. All of these things are GREAT for shedding body fat, but going so low carb and high protein CAN wreak havoc on the femaile reproductive system---your likely hood is greatly increased if you train intensely at the same time. We are all different though. Personally, i lost my period about 2 or 3 months into a similar type diet (MRC) and i havent got it back yet---- that was 16 months ago. But i also train hard as well (3 marathons in that same time span). I would recommend if you notice your period starts acting weird (its late, early, or you have spotting in between) than take that as a huge WARNING sign, to eat some carbs and fat, for gods sake! I had ALL of those warning signs for about 2 months and i ignored them.

Good luck
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #3  
on IP since 10/4/10

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'9"

Those irregularities are caused due to the fact that hormones (i.e. estrogen) are stored in fat, and when you shed fat, these hormones are released, causing irregular periods. I do think that losing weight in the long run will probably be more conducive to conceiving, a lot of doctors do recommend it. This would be a great question to ask your ob/gyn though. Good luck!
queenmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #4  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
everyone is different, and while i dont know much about IP, i gather its a very high protein, very low carb (passibly with protein supplements/drinks?), low cal and low fat. All of these things are GREAT for shedding body fat, but going so low carb and high protein CAN wreak havoc on the femaile reproductive system---your likely hood is greatly increased if you train intensely at the same time. We are all different though. Personally, i lost my period about 2 or 3 months into a similar type diet (MRC) and i havent got it back yet---- that was 16 months ago. But i also train hard as well (3 marathons in that same time span). I would recommend if you notice your period starts acting weird (its late, early, or you have spotting in between) than take that as a huge WARNING sign, to eat some carbs and fat, for gods sake! I had ALL of those warning signs for about 2 months and i ignored them.

Good luck
I'm sorry for your experience. Heavy exercise + very low carbs + very high protein = disaster, on a number of fronts not the least of which is drastic loss of muscle. Fortunately, IP advocates none of these.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeLeigh View Post
Hey guys,

I know there are a couple of IP-related pregnancy success stories around (Jordana for sure). I'm wondering if anyone has any input, etc., about using IP while trying to get pregnant. My IP coach is actually working out of my obgyn's office. She indicated that this program was great for shedding weight and wouldn't prevent me from getting pregnant. I am 36 and DH is 38 and we just started TTC a few months ago. My obgyn has said to give it six months on our own before coming back to get any sort of fertility help. He also recommended I try to drop some weight prior to conceiving. My six months will be up around the end of January. I'm hoping to have lost around 30 lbs by then.

My coach says that I would have to stop using IP if I get pregnant (which of course I would do) but that being on IP why trying to get pregnant is okay. I already have very regular cycles and ovulate each month, but I'm wondering about what I've been reading on the boards about cycles becoming irregular. Any insight?
TennesseeLeigh, although IP has resolved many women's fertility issues (and resulted in a few unexpected pregnancies), it is absolutely not recommended to follow the program while intentionally, knowingly trying to conceive. The calories and the fat are too low to nourish a growing human being, even/especially in the first few weeks of pregnancy before you know you're pregnant. Some heavy duty drug-based fertility treatments test for pregnancy daily in order that treatment can be stopped before any possible damage occurs; in that case IP might be perfectly ok because you could jump to phase 3 within 24 hours of conception. Most women don't find out they're pregnant until at least 2-3 weeks in.

Bottom line is pick one or the other; follow IP (Phase 1 or Phase 2) or try to conceive. And, if you continue on IP, use barrier methods of birth control until you move into phase 3.

I would be extremely suspicious of an OB/GYN who runs a IP clinic and advises you that it's okay to continue on IP while TTC. So suspicious in fact, I'd start looking for a new doc.

There was some debate about this a couple of months ago. Carla (showgirlaz) seems to have asked some IP officials. Her explanation of their position is in this post.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 11-03-2010 at 08:08 PM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/246/180

Height: 5'8

Wow - thanks for the info! Definitely something to talk about when I go back for my next weigh-in. I am monitoring my cycles now and tracking temps so I know when I'm most fertile. We aren't planning on actively trying to conceive until after the holidays. The plan right now is to focus on losing some weight first. We will definitely start using protection again!
TennesseeLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 183/141/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post

Good luck
I agree with Linden. It is normal as you shed fat to have menstrual irregularities. This will NOT affect your long-term ability to conceive, but could interrupt it. Menstrual irregularities and problems conceiving can definitely be increased by the vigorous exercise mkroyer describes above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeLeigh View Post
Wow - thanks for the info! Definitely something to talk about when I go back for my next weigh-in. I am monitoring my cycles now and tracking temps so I know when I'm most fertile. We aren't planning on actively trying to conceive until after the holidays. The plan right now is to focus on losing some weight first. We will definitely start using protection again!
Believe me, I have been there....trying to conceive.....waiting and waiting! I think your plan to shed pounds now is excellent. Your excess weight definitely places you at risk for pregnancy complications. With less fat your cycles should normalize later on, which will increase your chances of pregnancy. Plus, it is hard for many pregnant women to accept gaining weight during pregnancy. If you start out closer to a normal weight, it won't seem so negative later.
Traveling Stitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 182/164.5/132

Height: 5'5"

I think it is great that you are trying to lose weight before you conceive. Anything you do now to get yourself closer to a normal BMI will be helpful when you get pregnant. In fact the american association of OB/Gyn and all the perinatologists I know recommend that obese and even overweight women diet during pregnancy (though not to the extreme that you would do on IP phase I). The only thing that you really should do different is make sure you are taking a folate supplement and also a prenatal vitamin (talk to your coach about the IP vitamins vs. prenatals). Folate is the one thing that the IP vitamins really do not provide enough of for early pregnancy. Good luck trying to get pregnant. Remember if you are tracking temps, etc you will know you are pregnant within 2 weeks of conception and can adjust your diet immediately... the tiny glob of cells which make the embryo at 2 weeks requires very few kilocalories for growth and studies show that less weight gain in the first trimester leads to better overall pregnancy outcomes.
skiingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 256.8/255.2/155

Height: 5'6''

My question is regarding NOT getting pregnant. I was told by my coach at my first weigh-in that i have to be extremely careful while on this diet in regards to birth control. She said that side-effects of the diet can basically negate my birth control and i should use a back-up method. Has anyone else heard anything about this? I'm definitely planning on having kids in the future, this is just not the time in my life. Losing weight has been one of the things i'm doing for my future pregnancies. So anyone have any recommendations/advice?
BrittStar027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #10  
=^..^=

S/C/G: 169 / 169 / 140

Height: 5' 4"

skiingdoc, how fantastic to have a doctor on here explaining. What you probably don't know is TennesseeLeigh announced about a week ago that she is now pregnant and has to drop out of IP until next summer. Just thought you would like to know. Excellent info you shared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittStar027 View Post
My question is regarding NOT getting pregnant. I was told by my coach at my first weigh-in that i have to be extremely careful while on this diet in regards to birth control. She said that side-effects of the diet can basically negate my birth control and i should use a back-up method. Has anyone else heard anything about this? I'm definitely planning on having kids in the future, this is just not the time in my life. Losing weight has been one of the things i'm doing for my future pregnancies. So anyone have any recommendations/advice?
I just bumped a thread called "Birth Control and IP". If I recall, IP has a tendency to make your cycle not as consistent, so there can be challenges with some forms of birth control. Hope you find the thread useful.
the wonder cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #11  

Post Ideal Protein and Fertility

I've often read threads on this site about Ideal Protein but this time I decided it was time to sign up and weigh in (pun intended )

Ideal Protein is NOT a high protein diet. It is the "Ideal" amount of protein to sustain all of your body functions and increase your health.

Ideal Protein babies have been a well-known benefit or drawback of getting healthy on the program and I tell all my clients to make sure they are managing their birth control if they don't want to get pregnant.

There are infertility clinics now using Ideal Protein for their clients and the results are staggering. You can see this post from InVia Fertility for some actual numbers their clients are experiencing: inviafertility.com/blog/blog/infertility/lauren-wismer/ideal-protein-lose-weight-to-get-pregnant/

It is not dangerous to become pregnant while using Ideal Protein. The foods are manufactured to a higher quality than what we can buy in the grocery store and the protein is the healthiest you can get. As always, if you are trying to get pregnant there are many things to consider health wise. Your doctor may recommend supplements prior to pregnancy or a balanced diet. All of which can be done while on plan.

Overall Ideal Protein has been a great tool for many women trying to conceive. It is also being used as a treatment and is being studied to help other medical concerns and the results are stunning. It just makes sense that when you make your body more healthy, all your systems will work better!

Last edited by Seinard; 04-06-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Seinard is offline   Reply With Quote