Old 01-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #1  

Default What is a realistic weight loss goal?

Hi everyone,

Hoping this hasn't been asked too recently. Also hoping this is not a touchy subject and does not rub anyone the wrong way.

I'm really struggling with setting my overall weight loss goal. I just don't know what is realistic at this point in my life, and I don't want to set myself up for failure or disappointment.

This is my second week of IP. I'm 35 and started at 175. The smallest I've ever been was 115. I'm 5'3". Largest 190 (at the end of my last pregnancy). I have 2 children, the youngest will be a year in Feb.

I would LOVE to be 115 again, but that was 14 years ago, I had no stress, pregnancy had not wreaked havoc on my body and I worked a job that kept me moving 4 to 8 hours a day, which caused me to lose about 15lbs without even trying (back when such a thing was possible).

So, with those things in mind what do you experienced ladies and gentlemen think is realistic? (My coach and I have not discussed goals yet.)

Thank you!
huskiesbabiesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I have mine set at just into the "normal" range of BMI, which at your height would be 140. You can always reevaluate as you get closer.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Agreed. Set it so that it is in the healthy range, and then play it by ear as you get closer. One thing that I have noticed on IP is that 5# lost tends to LOOK like 10#. You will lose tons of inches and you will look smaller at higher weights due to the amount of fat loss. You said you started at 175, for me, I would pick a nice round number like 135 or 140. I will also caution you that the smaller you get, the smaller your losses, and you may be happy to have a little bit of a higher goal.

When I first did IP, I initially had 125 as my goal weight. As I got to 140, I was really pleased with how my body had transformed and ended up adjusting my goal to 135. I was really happy with my size (4/6) and by then (to be honest) I was a little burnt out.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Or just find where you feel comfortable with your body and it's easy to maintain. I've never put any stock into BMI and neither has my doc. In fact the Canadian military no longer uses it at all as it doesn't take into consideration any biological history or age etc.

Easier said then done but it's my take on it.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #5  
Started IP 12/16/16

S/C/G: 209/143/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
Or just find where you feel comfortable with your body and it's easy to maintain. I've never put any stock into BMI and neither has my doc. In fact the Canadian military no longer uses it at all as it doesn't take into consideration any biological history or age etc.

Easier said then done but it's my take on it.
Muscle mass is another big factor that is not considered in the BMI calculation. It is too general to apply to a large population of people with varying body types and compositions.
Lita2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita2 View Post
Muscle mass is another big factor that is not considered in the BMI calculation. It is too general to apply to a large population of people with varying body types and compositions.
Agreed
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:32 PM   #7  

Wow, lots of great replies. Thank you all! It's sounds like you all have very similar views, which is really helpful!
Old 01-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #8  

I'm 5'2" and when originally on IP I wanted to reach an old WW goal I had of 122. Well, around 126 or so I looked too skinny. My arms were wasting. My Coach told me to start eating phase 3! I've since had surgery for unrelated reason and so am back on P1 after floundering in the 150s these past few months. My goal now is 135 to look and feel healthy!
wannabfitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabfitt View Post
I'm 5'2" and when originally on IP I wanted to reach an old WW goal I had of 122. Well, around 126 or so I looked too skinny. My arms were wasting. My Coach told me to start eating phase 3! I've since had surgery for unrelated reason and so am back on P1 after floundering in the 150s these past few months. My goal now is 135 to look and feel healthy!
Welcome back. How long have you been back on P1? I'm on day 2 of week 2.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/149.8/150

Height: 5'7"

I set my goal weight at the same place as my goal weight on WW from 2007. Now, ten years later, I'm finding that I'm comfortable (and my ten year old jeans fit!) at a few pounds higher. (I'm actually still on Phase 1 because I'm about 3 pounds higher than the goal weight I set with my IP coach.) I weigh in on Fridays - when I go this week, she and I have agreed that I can decide if I'm comfortable wherever I am and then move on to Phase 2. I think it's going to be a bit of journey to see where it all ends up as I make my way through the next several phases. Since I'm new to IP and these boards, take my thoughts for what they're worth............But, I say set a goal that you can live with now - one that you're comfortable with now - and work with your coach as you get closer to see what's going to be best for you. Best of luck!
arimartini is offline   Reply With Quote