Old 08-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #1  

Default How accurate is the "machine" they use?

Hello all! This is my second time doing IP to lose more weight. They are now using a "machine" this time that measures your resting metabolic rate, and also breaks down your weight loss to see how much water, fat, and muscle you have lost. During my first weigh in, I lost 7 lbs; 4 lbs of fat, 2 lbs of water, and 1 lbs of muscle. They were all concerned about the 1 lbs of muscle and advised me to try an get 10,000 steps a day on my fit bit and go for walks as this would help my body lose fat instead of muscle (it seemed counter intuitive as I took my dog for a walk and I didn't realize it had been a 1 hr walk during that week and I was afraid that might have actually caused the muscle loss but they encouraged me to go for more walks). So I did just that. I tried to get at or near 10,000 and went for a 1 hour walk 4 times that week. I went for my weigh in and was very disapointed to learn that I only lost 3 lbs this time. The machine said I actually gained 1lbs of muscle, however I lost NO lbs of fat, it was all water!!!! Now they advised me to walk much less. I am just feeling down because I worked so hard last week and I even FEEL like I lost more than the first week but I guess I was wrong. I feel really discouraged. I am wondering how accurate these machines are because these numbers sound weird. How could I lose no fat? Did my body possibly go out of ketosis?

They said perhaps I was burning too many calories combined with my hormones playing a part due to the fact that my menstrual cycle is coming any day now.

I feel very disappointed because the first time I did this diet I lost 6 lbs the first week and 9 lbs the second! I did weigh more then which I know could be a factor. I almost feel like this machine analyzing the weight loss is more discouraging than anything because (for me) it just minimizes the achievement and makes me critical of myself and feel like I am doing something wrong.

Does anyone have any input with this or a similar experience? I am feeling very discouraged and feel like my hard work was for nothing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Janey1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Janey1502, don't worry about the machine. It is notoriously unreliable and it also sounds like they aren't even sure how to use the info it gives to guide you.
Stick to protocol foods/water/vitamins/oil, fairly brisk walking regularly, and you will get there. Hormones play a large part in our weight fluctuations so don't fret on that account either. Keep it simple, and try to focus on the inches lost and how your clothes fit, how your energy is and any other NON-SCALE Victories.
If you have less to lose, it will take longer to drop it off. Just sayin'. Don't compare with your last time, just learn to follow through to maintenance and then practice that, and you won't have to do this again

The truth is that if you are eating under 100g carbs a day, you are likely still in ketosis, if you compare that number with the Standard American Diet, you will see the huge difference.

Also, it is OK to lose some muscle along with your fat loss, after all, how much muscle is needed to move a 300 lb weight compared to a 130 lb weight. So a 300 lb person NEEDS more muscle than a 130 lb person just to live & move. What you should really be watching is the difference in your body fat percentage compared to lean mass. THAT is what should be improving.

Hugs.... you will get there again!
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote