3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   2015 Starters – Moving Forward into Fall (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/305856-2015-starters-%96-moving-forward-into-fall.html)

livinlrg 09-11-2015 03:59 PM

L13

Sounds like you're doing everything right so maybe it is the lack of sleep. I too lack sleep during the week. I get about 6 hours a night and I'm sure that's not enough. Hopefully you can nip that in the bud and you'll continue downwards.

canadjineh 09-11-2015 07:01 PM

Yep, proper sleep is a huge component to weight loss. I have trouble when I am working - I get about 5 or 6 hrs for the first couple mornings (I get home at 5:30 am from work then go to bed immediately), but day 3 this morning I slept right til 2pm. Feeling awesome today, thanks to the sleep. That helps with cravings and retention.

Liana

stickingtotheplan 09-12-2015 05:07 PM

Just found my password

Hi everyone, I'm back reading the threads for support and accountability. I started back on IP August 31, 2015. I lost 30 pounds in 2011 and have gradually gained it back plus 10. Wonderful. The second time around has been very difficult. I've had a few slip ups (a couple of slices of cheese). I feel so tired on this diet - in that even going up the stairs takes every ounce of energy, but otherwise I feel great (not having the bloat, steady weight gain, or guilt after eating too many carbs). I'm day by day. I mostly miss Indian food right now. Anyways, I'll try to keep reading and keep accountable.

hysteria_625 09-12-2015 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stickingtotheplan (Post 5201692)
Hi everyone, I'm back reading the threads for support and accountability. I started back on IP August 31, 2015. I lost 30 pounds in 2011 and have gradually gained it back plus 10. Wonderful. The second time around has been very difficult. I've had a few slip ups (a couple of slices of cheese). I feel so tired on this diet - in that even going up the stairs takes every ounce of energy, but otherwise I feel great (not having the bloat, steady weight gain, or guilt after eating too many carbs). I'm day by day. I mostly miss Indian food right now. Anyways, I'll try to keep reading and keep accountable.

Hey STP - welcome back - I like the mantra "progress not perfection". You don't note if you're alt-prod or with a coach, but I've read some coaches allow a little soy cheese in place of the daily milk. Of course being 100% is to be striven for, but I doubt a couple slices of cheese have done much damage ;) There are some terrific folks around - keep posting.

Dreary, rainy Saturday and didn't get much on my to-do list done :p but still busy

Scale was kind - 156 this morning - 1 pound from healthy BMI!

Hungry again though...another IP-wall (?)...I can't blame boredom and while I should have grabbed a boiled egg, went ahead and finished the leftover salmon (on top of the mint chocolate chunk Quest bar I had ate a few hours before) :o I'll see tomorrow what, if any effect it has on the scale

Oh - and post dinner editing - HIGHLY recommend BISON meat - this is on the IP dinner protein approved list (Other), but per MFP, the fat is high in the brand we bought (Great Range)
4oz serving
Cal = 190
Fat = 11g (100 calories)
Protein = 23g
Carb = 0g

HereIStand 09-13-2015 10:06 AM

I went to a potluck dinner last night at a friend's house. Went prepared, with 8 oz. of lean ham, and stewed rhubarb. Everyone commented on how much weight I've lost, and I got the usual, "You're not going to lose any more, are you?!" bit. I just changed the subject. :) I had one tiny bite of cake and two bites of pie, and I don't think that knocked me out of ketosis, but I have to figure out how I'm going to manage desserts - my biggest weakness! - when I get to maintenance. At home it's not a problem, I just don't have sweets around, but dining with friends is tough.

The movement of the scale has slowed wayyy down this week. Don't know if it's because I started some easy running this week, or because I'm getting closer to goal, or both. I'm not willing to give up the running, and I know my goal weight is probably unrealistic. I'll give it a month and if I settle somewhere around 165, I think that will be a sign to move to P2. Hopefully the running will help me lose a few more pounds when I'm finally off protocol.

hysteria_625 09-13-2015 08:08 PM

HIS - I am impressed with your willpower! I'd probably have my head in the pie if I had a couple bites...

Spent a few minutes thinking about life after IP this weekend after really noticing how my body reacted to certain foods
Looking back over the last 8 months, the pattern shows this is my hungry / hangry-time and upping calories through dinner choices has remained successful - but yesterday I made a poor choice. I could have remained closer to protocol, but decided to try a mint chocolate chunk Quest bar (w/ the corn additive). This was about 1pm...by the time we got home about 4:30, I was gnaw-an-arm-off starving and dove into some left over salmon...the pattern here is +fat...then the bison for dinner
Total k/cal was approx 1,500
...and this morning, the scale remained steady (and down -1.4)
Tell-tale WI will be tomorrow
Since vacation, I am averaging +1,100 k/cal and still losing...
I am wondering too if I had a reaction (cravings) to the Quest bar I tried...oh it was so good (mint chocolate chip ice cream is my fave), and I could easily had 2 or 3 more.
I also went back and peaked around a journal I keep (2003 - now) on another weight loss site and realize how far I've come and it also gave me a lot of perspective into what has derailed me in the past (alcohol, primarily).
I think it was also a wake up that I may never be able to eat "like everyone else". I know P3 reintroduces carbs (at breakfast) but I really wonder / am scared about how my body will react. I've always felt best eating low carb - I can happily have turkey bacon and eggs with cheese almost every morning ;) but I also know part of doing IP is the 'reset'...and know with the support here I shouldn't go off the rails ((((hug)))

Loser13 09-13-2015 08:55 PM

Thanks ladies for all your help. I know lack of sleep is not helping and I have also been dealing with the big C. Again thank you for all the great words...I was really bummed out last week.

Went to camp again this weekend. We did movie night. We set up a sheet (as our screen) on our swing and watched a movie outside...now here it got reallllly cold...we were cuddled up in Our blankets and sat by the fire..i wore my tuque...we watched JAWS..no one went for a swim after...lol...water would of been tooooo cold.
Great NSV for me. For some reason I wanted the junk food...I opened a bag of chili and lime peanuts and they smelled sooooo goood! Put them back and went to the fire...everyone had chips, doritos, candies....my mind was going crazy. I dont know why it was bothering me this time. Went to my trailer and got a quest bar and drank a huge glass of water.
Well I am proud to say thAt did not give in to the cravings...26 days today with no cheats!
Spirits are up this week. Thanks again.

HereIStand 09-13-2015 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loser13 (Post 5202016)
Thanks ladies for all your help. I know lack of sleep is not helping and I have also been dealing with the big C. Again thank you for all the great words...I was really bummed out last week.

Went to camp again this weekend. We did movie night. We set up a sheet (as our screen) on our swing and watched a movie outside...now here it got reallllly cold...we were cuddled up in Our blankets and sat by the fire..i wore my tuque...we watched JAWS..no one went for a swim after...lol...water would of been tooooo cold.
Great NSV for me. For some reason I wanted the junk food...I opened a bag of chili and lime peanuts and they smelled sooooo goood! Put them back and went to the fire...everyone had chips, doritos, candies....my mind was going crazy. I dont know why it was bothering me this time. Went to my trailer and got a quest bar and drank a huge glass of water.
Well I am proud to say thAt did not give in to the cravings...26 days today with no cheats!
Spirits are up this week. Thanks again.

I think the act of putting something back on the shelf is a HUGE success!

Maybe try some tea with senna for the C? Are you eating salads (fiber)?

Beth, I think you're more likely to be successful long term because you've taken the time to think about your eating behaviors and what got you into trouble in the first place. Personally, I'm not counting on IP resetting my system. I KNOW I'm going to have to always watch what I eat and track carbs. I'm hopeful that my running program will give me a degree of freedom, but I will still probably always be wary of carbs.

Loser13 09-13-2015 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereIStand (Post 5202017)
I think the act of putting something back on the shelf is a HUGE success!

Maybe try some tea with senna for the C? Are you eating salads .

I still cannot believe that Indid not eat any...i kept thinking...I'll just have one...but I know that would of been the end of it...i would not of stopped at one.

I have tried the senna tea...it helped at the beginning but I had really bad cramps from using it...like mu guts were being ripped out. I do eat lits of salads, cucumber, peppers,celeri. I have even pureed my veggies.
Last time I was on IP I cheated on a regular basis, not out of control but I had a bowl of chops, a few licorices...and funny but I lost faster then I am now...ehmmmm.

I think carbs and me will have a love/ hate relationship forever.

blueskiesahead 09-14-2015 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereIStand (Post 5201851)
I had one tiny bite of cake and two bites of pie, and I don't think that knocked me out of ketosis, but I have to figure out how I'm going to manage desserts - my biggest weakness! - when I get to maintenance.

Oh, that's so me too. I LOVE desserts, and I know it's my big weakness. And I know myself, there's no stopping with one bite :nono:
Had some friends over for a BBQ yesterday, did fine with my plain burger and a salad (no problem skipping most of the other things, including just-picked-from-the-farm-down-the-road sweet corn, everyone said it was sooo good). But I had a birthday cake for one of my friends whose BD is next week and we'll be away on vacation then. OMG it was so hard to not have some! I must confess, I did swipe a bit of icing on my finger and pop it right in my mouth though :o Bad me!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hysteria_625 (Post 5202005)
Spent a few minutes thinking about life after IP this weekend after really noticing how my body reacted to certain foods....
Total k/cal was approx 1,500
...and this morning, the scale remained steady (and down -1.4)
Tell-tale WI will be tomorrow
Since vacation, I am averaging +1,100 k/cal and still losing...
I am wondering too if I had a reaction (cravings) to the Quest bar I tried...oh it was so good (mint chocolate chip ice cream is my fave), and I could easily had 2 or 3 more.
I also went back and peaked around a journal I keep (2003 - now) on another weight loss site and realize how far I've come and it also gave me a lot of perspective into what has derailed me in the past (alcohol, primarily).
I think it was also a wake up that I may never be able to eat "like everyone else". I know P3 reintroduces carbs (at breakfast) but I really wonder / am scared about how my body will react. I've always felt best eating low carb - I can happily have turkey bacon and eggs with cheese almost every morning ;) but I also know part of doing IP is the 'reset'...and know with the support here I shouldn't go off the rails ((((hug)))

This is really interesting that your cal have upped, and you're still losing. I wonder why that is. I know I've often heard that if you keep doing the same thing your body adjusts to the new normal, so I wonder if making some changes, like upping calories, shakes things up a bit ???

I've been wondering too, what's going to happen when I start eating carbs again, will my body just embrace them like long lost friends and balloon right back up again :?:
I think I've learned that my future with carbs will be "one bite" and hopefully I've learned the discipline to be able to do that. Athough it took a whole lot of that discipline yesterday not to dive into that cake. :drool:
It's always a worry in the back of my mind that once I get past the structured part of IP, I'll slip back to my old patterns.

An introspective morning, it seems.

hysteria_625 09-14-2015 09:37 AM

I am with you HIS - I am not *counting* on IP truly resetting my genetic makeup - but I also have to remember I've been overweight since I was 6 years old, so have no idea really what my body is capable of at a normal BMI. It will be a VERY interesting (new) journey once I get to goal

L13 - :hug: I can completely empathize - another pattern I am tracking is that right before TOM, I deal with the Big C (usually 5-6 days with very little relief) - and I up my magnesium, water, eat more fibrous veggies (celery), etc... Smooth Move works for me without horrid side effects - although I have to be careful with the timing :o

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueskiesahead (Post 5202098)
Oh, that's so me too. I LOVE desserts, and I know it's my big weakness. And I know myself, there's no stopping with one bite :nono:
Had some friends over for a BBQ yesterday, did fine with my plain burger and a salad (no problem skipping most of the other things, including just-picked-from-the-farm-down-the-road sweet corn, everyone said it was sooo good). But I had a birthday cake for one of my friends whose BD is next week and we'll be away on vacation then. OMG it was so hard to not have some! I must confess, I did swipe a bit of icing on my finger and pop it right in my mouth though :o Bad me!

This is really interesting that your cal have upped, and you're still losing. I wonder why that is. I know I've often heard that if you keep doing the same thing your body adjusts to the new normal, so I wonder if making some changes, like upping calories, shakes things up a bit ???

I've been wondering too, what's going to happen when I start eating carbs again, will my body just embrace them like long lost friends and balloon right back up again :?:
I think I've learned that my future with carbs will be "one bite" and hopefully I've learned the discipline to be able to do that. Athough it took a whole lot of that discipline yesterday not to dive into that cake. :drool:
It's always a worry in the back of my mind that once I get past the structured part of IP, I'll slip back to my old patterns.

An introspective morning, it seems.

Haven't found corn a de-railer but have only had it twice. Good on you! :broc: - see, I worry more that a swipe & pop of icing would be my ultimate undoing...probably for naught, but better to not tempt fate ;)

My problem is psychological (I have a gut feeling thats most of us...) - once I come off the tracks, I have always ended up at the bottom of the rabbit hole and then have to start over.
The good thing is I seem to finally be learning, at least a little, about myself through these trials / errors. When I lost about 40 pounds low carb / exercise / Insanity in 2013, I actually managed to keep it off until I went really ape-$*** (food / wine) Christmas 2013. I held steady in the low 200's until my dad passed in May of 2014 and then over that summer / fall went to the bottom of the hole (234).
So I maintained for about 3 months, went up 10...steadied out for a couple more months, and then life. I know to truly maintain it is going to take some willpower and constant vigilance

Current weight loss - weeeeelllll, let me clarify ;) I am a daily weigh-er and I started slowing before I upped the calories - down from a steady 10 pounds every 30 days to approximately 8 (starting July - August / pre-vacation). The biggest thing is that I physically felt SO much better over vacation eating 1000+.
I've only lost about 2.5 pounds since the end of August, but am looking at the huge positives - I am still losing at 1000+ (and exercise), I feel better (and need the clarity with everything going on at work), and I am within 11 pounds of my original goal. Is it slowing me down - maybe? I've fallen into a pattern of bouncing around about 3 pounds for 10 - 15 days, and then whooshing. I really won't know until TOM starts and I clear this issue with the Big C (another stupid 'pattern' my body seems to have fallen into) if regularly eating 1000+ over the last 3 weeks has truly hindered / slowed my weight loss. Note - I have not breached +1500 k/cal

blueskiesahead 09-14-2015 10:20 AM

Beth, yes, a lot of all of our problems are psychological. We tell ourselves lies and give ourselves excuses (one small bite won't hurt, sure we can have that second glass of wine, my life sucks today so if I have a cookie I'll feel better... well we all know this story).
I think you've got it right about trying to recognize our own patterns. How our bodies work. How we react to different foods. What can make us take a nose dive back to bad habits.
In my case, it was all a gradual gain, nothing sudden, just every year, a few more lbs, in some ways you don't really notice it as much as putting on 30 or 40 lbs in a short time, you just kind of get used to it gradually. Until one day you wake up and the scale shows over 200 lb, and you think...how'd that happen :?:
I know for me, Maintenance will have to be pretty strict, and I'll have to always be vigilant against that slow creeping back.
I've learned through this process so far that I can't go back to all the bad habits I had. Mindless eating. Not one cookie, but 6. Well, the list goes on.

I think we are all learning things about ourselves here. Not just what foods to eat, and how much, or how different food affects our gains. But how we feel. Sometimes it's not so much what the scale shows as how we physically feel, interesting what you said about feeling so good while on vacation, even though you were eating more. Maybe less stress? So maybe that's a good trade-off, forget about losing 10 lb a month, be happy with a slower loss if you feel good.

HereIStand 09-14-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueskiesahead (Post 5202134)

In my case, it was all a gradual gain, nothing sudden, just every year, a few more lbs, in some ways you don't really notice it as much as putting on 30 or 40 lbs in a short time, you just kind of get used to it gradually. Until one day you wake up and the scale shows over 200 lb, and you think...how'd that happen :?:

Same here. I never had much of a weight problem until surgical menopause, and then it was like WHAM! the weight just piled on daily. I'm sure some of it was my poor eating habits (6 cookies? Why not an even dozen?) that had gone unchecked for most of my adult life, but the loss of hormones really accelerated the weight gain. At one point, I thought I would have to eat less than 1000 cal/day and most of that from rabbit food for the rest of my life. Now that I'm back to a better weight and running, I hope I can safely eat a few bites of carbs once in a while.

Official WI today: I didn't lose anything this week. First time that has happened since I started the protocol. But am still losing inches, so I will stay OP and see how things go for the rest of the month.

Cindyjune 09-14-2015 01:41 PM

Hello Everyone,
I m just dropping by to say"Hi" I Re-Started IP on Friday so am now on Day 4- Started with a bad head cold which was a blessing in disguise because I have no appetite- I almost talked myself into waiting but decided I would always find an excuse! No more excuses! :-)
I did really well on IP the first time but didn't finish, just simply took a break and told myself I had more weight to lose but never went back I and gained all the weight back and then some

I look forward to this wonderful journey with all you ladies! As everyone is always so helpful and encouraging

livinlrg 09-14-2015 05:02 PM

Happy Monday IPers!
Cindyjune: Welcome back! You'll do it this time!
I'm reading the latest posts about not being able to stop at one and can totally relate. My motto has been "I'd rather have none than one". I know I'll have to really watch FOREVER. Kudos to being able to put the snack back on the shelf.
My last WI on Saturday was a 2.5 lb drop, so very happy. Not 100% on what my goal weight will be. I'll schedule a complete physical in a couple of weeks and discuss with my Dr. I'm hoping all my tests come back good.
Does anyone take collagen protein? My clinic suggested using the IP jello packets because it contains collagen protein which is apparently good for your skin and bones. I'm going to research this but wondering if anyone is taking this already.
Have a great OP week!