Old 04-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #1  
KMWJ

S/C/G: 171/158/140

Height: 5'4''

Default Alcohol

Hey all,

So I have been on the program for 3 weeeks - have lost 10 lbs. I'm pretty happy with my success thus far.

However, I am just finishing exams this weekend and then will be starting work full time for the summer on Monday. I haven't drank for almost a month and I know its going to very very difficult for me not to drink on Saturday when I go out with all of my friends to celebrate.

I was wondering if anyone here has drank b4 Phase 1 was completed? How did it affect you?

If anything, I will be drinking vodka sodas with lime - no sugary drinks.

Thx!
kmjw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #2  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmjw02 View Post
Hey all,

So I have been on the program for 3 weeeks - have lost 10 lbs. I'm pretty happy with my success thus far.

However, I am just finishing exams this weekend and then will be starting work full time for the summer on Monday. I haven't drank for almost a month and I know its going to very very difficult for me not to drink on Saturday when I go out with all of my friends to celebrate.

I was wondering if anyone here has drank b4 Phase 1 was completed? How did it affect you?

Thx!

I am starting my 35th week on the program. I did not touch alcohol for 16 weeks (before the diet I drank weekly and more than once a week). I lost 52 pounds during those first few months.

Since then I have had numerous planned cheat mostly centered around drinks and happy hour type foods.

It takes about a week to recover from my planned cheats and get back into ketosis and losing again.

If you drink just vodka with diet soda or just dry wine....I would think you could enjoy the night and not get out of ketosis (I have done this on many occasions), but if you make bad decisions while under the influence and knock yourself out of ketosis you might get frustrated.

Personal recommendations...it is too soon to go off protocol at all. You don't have much weight to lose and if you give it about 5-7 more perfect weeks you will be at goal and done and happy you did not cheat.

I didn't even leave my house for 2 months, because I didn't trust myself to make good decisions, but since then I have learned a ton and have come a long ways in the decision making process.

Avoid the drinking this weekend and by Memorial Day you will be thrilled you did. good luck in your decision.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 256.7/211/155

Height: Start Date: 2-18-11

I personally haven't but have read that it can really mess with your results. This is just my 2 cents but for the amount of money we're putting into this program and the amount of physical and emotional sacrifice it takes to make it through the first couple of weeks, do you really want to mess with that? It will set you back at least a week, which means about 100.00 lost on the program itself, not to mention the cost of the alcohol and the mental cost of trying to get back OP. There will always be alcohol later and sacrifices have to be made in order to be successful. I KNOW it's not easy but it will be soooo worth it if you can resist the urge, I promise. Good luck with your decision
ontariophotogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #4  
KMWJ

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #5  
KMWJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
I am starting my 35th week on the program. I did not touch alcohol for 16 weeks (before the diet I drank weekly and more than once a week). I lost 52 pounds during those first few months.

Since then I have had numerous planned cheat mostly centered around drinks and happy hour type foods.

It takes about a week to recover from my planned cheats and get back into ketosis and losing again.

If you drink just vodka with diet soda or just dry wine....I would think you could enjoy the night and not get out of ketosis (I have done this on many occasions), but if you make bad decisions while under the influence and knock yourself out of ketosis you might get frustrated.

Personal recommendations...it is too soon to go off protocol at all. You don't have much weight to lose and if you give it about 5-7 more perfect weeks you will be at goal and done and happy you did not cheat.

I didn't even leave my house for 2 months, because I didn't trust myself to make good decisions, but since then I have learned a ton and have come a long ways in the decision making process.

Avoid the drinking this weekend and by Memorial Day you will be thrilled you did. good luck in your decision.

Hi darbs7,

So you did drink vodka and sodas while you were still on phase 1? I have pretty good self control so I think I will be able to avoid the junk food while I'm out. I think I'm going to plan not to drink but if I end up having one or two I don't think it will mess up my week significantly. I keep changing my mind back and forth lol
Old 04-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190.4/136/140

Height: 5' 5"

Week 14 I had wine, it didn't affect my weight loss. I would listen to Darbs, don't cheat yet..you might regret it!
Hollmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 305/305/215

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Hi darbs7,

So you did drink vodka and sodas while you were still on phase 1? I have pretty good self control so I think I will be able to avoid the junk food while I'm out. I think I'm going to plan not to drink but if I end up having one or two I don't think it will mess up my week significantly. I keep changing my mind back and forth lol
I knock back a few shots of rum every so often---stayed in ketosis and have kept on losing steadily----just watch the mixers and the "drunken munchies"!
Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #8  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Quote:
Hi darbs7,

I drank red wine at week 17. I sincerely recommend not drinking. I was quite a ways into the diet and was able to handle it because I was down 52. Because it will slow you down...you may get discouraged and quit.

I really really recommend that you don't drink for a solid two months....you will be so thankful that you didn't. It is hard trust me...I know....I drank at least two nights a week.

YOu can do it...avoid the situation.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #9  
ready to lose it!

S/C/G: 247/231/180

Height: 5' 9"

Don't do it!
vballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 189/159/140

if you pick a vodka or similar high alcohol content whiskey type, the body will burn the alcohol calories before the fat. that's all. if you are willing to sacrifice 1-2 days that's all that will happen. you won't go out of ketosis as long as you don't do sugar anything. beware tho, you may react more severely than you did before. i know i can't drink as much as i could before, but i used to drink fairly regularly. if you do it, just go slow. i'm always more worried about the junk food i might let myself eat after the alcohol. congrats on your successful school year!

side note- i had a friend who had a heart attack, triple bypass and his cardiologist said a high end vodka over any other alcohol if he chose to drink. he also said absolutely no beer due to the havoc it causes with blood sugars and is closely related to lipid levels in the blood.

makes sense to me since this IP protocol is about controlling insulin response and allowing fat loss. good luck!
rondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #11  
IP START: March 20th 2011

Height: 5'5''

this is just my personal opinion on the subject. I am paying a LOT of money to be on IP. The program works, and I am seeing results. I am learning how to eat properly, retraining my mind so in the future I will continue to know how to eat.

I strongly suggest NOT drinking. I can see 2 results, one being that you will throw yourself off plan and might become upset or discouraged. 2, you might not throw yourself off plan and continue to do this, which might mean you will slip and cheat with other things "forbidden"

My bridal shower is on Sat and I have already told my MOH that I will not be eating/drinking anything that is restricted. She tried to tell me that "one or 2 things wont kill you" she might be right, but the thought of being kicked back 3 days and lots of money didn't appeal to me.

Only you know what is right, I am not here to preach to you, I just want you to decide what is more important. A night with friends drinking (which is fine, if you choose) or to continue being strict and stay on plan.
Shrinking Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:28 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 193/165/140

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Hey all,

Thx!
Hi, glad you asked the question! I was very used to having a glass or two of wine a day, really do miss it! However, i agree with the ladies that said, don't do it! you have done so well, the alcohol is "not the boss of you!" I can see celebrating with dear friends much more rewarding than a few drinks--you don't need it to have fun! Good luck!
calival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 152.4/138/125.5

Height: 5'4-1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondar View Post
if you pick a vodka or similar high alcohol content whiskey type, the body will burn the alcohol calories before the fat. that's all. if you are willing to sacrifice 1-2 days that's all that will happen. you won't go out of ketosis as long as you don't do sugar anything. beware tho, you may react more severely than you did before. i know i can't drink as much as i could before, but i used to drink fairly regularly. if you do it, just go slow. i'm always more worried about the junk food i might let myself eat after the alcohol. congrats on your successful school year!

side note- i had a friend who had a heart attack, triple bypass and his cardiologist said a high end vodka over any other alcohol if he chose to drink. he also said absolutely no beer due to the havoc it causes with blood sugars and is closely related to lipid levels in the blood.

makes sense to me since this IP protocol is about controlling insulin response and allowing fat loss. good luck!
I agree with Rondar but feel it is your personal decision to do whatever you want.

I cheated between weeks 4 and 5 for our anniversary. I had 2 non-protocol meals and 3 drinks and still lost weight, fat and inches when I weighed in 2 days later. It took me about 24 hours to get back into ketosis so it wasn't a major set back. I did notice my tolerance was a lot lower than it had been so if you decide to drink, I'd recommend being moderate.

We are all spending a lot of money on this diet and it's recommended to stick to the protocol if you want the weight to come off quicker. Studies show that deprivation can lead to extreme behaviors such as excessive indulgence and strange cravings. The choice is your so do as you see best for yourself and your own peace of mind.
lindacraig63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #14  
KMWJ

Thank you all for being so supportive!!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #15  
AnitaNewBody

S/C/G: S172/C155/G150

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

I haven't started IP and I feel this is going to be the hardest part for me....I do love a glass of red wine on the weekends and sometimes just to chill after work.
Myself it would be hard to have only one.

I guess we will see how hard t really is now wont we, being on the alt IP diet first. Day 2
Anitanewdiet is offline   Reply With Quote