Old 05-02-2015, 12:51 AM   #61  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplchaos View Post
With the addition of more red meat I have been able to increase my calories but I'm still not reaching more than 800, ever. The packets I'm using are 70-110 calories, most are 90. I believe IP is a bit above that.

I thought IP was 20g protein, so that is how I was calculating where I'm behind. 5 at B, 5 at L, and I didn't use a deficit for S because the chips are 21.

I'm wondering if I'm not reaching enough calories would my body pull from my muscles. Also, since I'm not losing like I was (2lbs last week, 0 this week and 0 inches for a couple weeks) I'm thinking maybe that is also related to the low calories.

I can't wait to figure this out so I can get to movin' and groovin'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post
Your calories are too low. You should be between 800 and 900. And, if you are not getting enough protein, your body will use your muscle for energy.
Also, the proti and healthsmart are not the same serving size as IP so you need an adjustment for that. You should be able to see that comparison between IP and the alternatives in MFP. If you don't want to do that, I posted a link to a spreadsheet that had this info included which I use to this day as my food journal and cal/macro tracker.

I would suggest taking a week where you do not eat out. Measure everything and cook at home so you can control it. Make sure you are getting the allotted olive oil. Ensure you are drinking plenty of water. You should add extra water for the Sparkling ICE you are drinking. And, make sure you are taking your supplements. I wouldn't workout that week. If you don't lose weight (from fat), something may be wrong with your hormones that is preventing it which I would seek out. I highly doubt that is the case though. I think it is a matter of consuming too few calories and too little protein and possibly too little water and fats - it sounds like your body is rebelling from not getting what it needs.

I worry about the supplementation also. How did you determine the appropriate supplements to take?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
chaos - I agree with Ro...there are obviously folks here much more educated on the science, but 700 - 800 calories is way too low.
Maybe shake things up a bit? Salmon is higher in calories with lots of protein. Eggs are a great source too and can be subbed for breakfast. Also (someone correct me if I'm wrong) - I believe when someone starts out +200 pounds, generally they have the option to have a forth packet?
Most IP clinics start people over 250 on 4 packets + a real meal per day, because it is a shock to the system to go from the caloric and nutrient intake of an average adult down to the very light rations of IP.

It looks like your body is starving. The alternative options you have chosen are not really as balanced as the IP packets so, yes, the protein is lighter and the macronutrient ranges are less than ideal.

Either add in another packet, or add a couple of hard boiled eggs. The packet will bring all your macros up, but the eggs will especially focus on fat and protein. Fat is not the enemy, and your current fat macro is going to be pretty low with those PD packet choices.

When I use all IP products I normally come up to 850-950 cals, 32-35 total carbs (between 22 and 25 NET carbs), 28-35g fat, around 100-110g protein (but I prefer beef/salmon/pork/chicken to fish). Many people add the egg in as an egg white with a pudding or drink packet to make pancakes or waffles. Do you like egg in with your oatmeal at all? I know some people like savoury oatmeal.

The body has a preferred macro consumption order - glycogen (or glucose stored in the liver or muscles - which is gone once you hit ketosis) > carbs > fat > protein. When you are light on blood sugar and haven't recently eaten the body will attempt to replenish blood glucose levels in the fastest and most efficient method possible. It will look to the sources above and then it will work out which suits its purpose best. Generally, the body finds it easier to break down muscle (because every time you move you are doing that, and then rebuilding it) to glycogen as it has a lot of experience working in this way. The longer you are on IP the less this should happen, as your body will burn sufficient fat to keep your blood sugar level relatively stable, as it learns your energy consumption versus energy expenditure and stops "panic" producing too many ketones. This is why the huge 10lb losses of the first week dwindle in week 2, and then drop down to 2-3lbs (on average) in successive weeks. Your body is doing what it's meant to - adapting to the change in the fuel system and finding the most efficient way to use it.

So, will your body use protein to make energy? Sure, in the absence of sufficient carbs and fats. Will your body start breaking down muscle to make energy? If you go mad with exercising without having eaten for many hours, yes it will.

Be smart. Your body has needs and if you deny them or try to game the loss system by choosing the lowest carb foods available within the IP or alternatives range you are risking both your weight loss results AND your long term health.

In ketosis your body will burn stored fat in order to give you fuel, but it's like gas in your car's tank. If you underestimate how much gas you'll need to get you to your destination you're going to have an empty tank and grind to a halt once the fumes in the gas tank settle.

Double up on packets when it's 10g protein or less and make sure you get at least half of your body weight in grams of protein per day.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:58 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Nice 2.5 mile walk today with our chocolate lab - who is now sound asleep
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

We went to Arlington National Cemetery yesterday to visit my mom and dad's grave site - walked 4.6 miles / 11,000 steps

chaos - hope all is well
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #64  

Walked 5-6 miles yesterday. Woke up this morning 3.9 pounds lighter! I've lost 8.4 in the last 5 days. I have not increased my calorie intake but I did switch my live meal to lunch. I don't think that's what helped though. I think maybe I had a good two weeks followed by a slower 2 weeks and the cycle is starting over. Maybe. But I'm psyched that walk did not hinder a loss for today.
simplchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #65  

Simpl, great to hear! My weight loss always cycled through, sometimes not much for two weeks, but more inches.

I hope everyone is doing well.
I'm still going with the Pilates and very happy with it - so much core and ab strengthening! It's perfect for me right now.
Grateful4Health is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #66  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplchaos View Post
Walked 5-6 miles yesterday. Woke up this morning 3.9 pounds lighter! I've lost 8.4 in the last 5 days. I have not increased my calorie intake but I did switch my live meal to lunch. I don't think that's what helped though. I think maybe I had a good two weeks followed by a slower 2 weeks and the cycle is starting over. Maybe. But I'm psyched that walk did not hinder a loss for today.
I see why you would think that the loss is tied to the most recent "event", but the reality is that it probably isn't. Did you drink extra water to combat the dehydration from the walk? If not, you've lost some water weight that will re-balance when you drink.

It could also be that you have lost some fat AND some water. Not so long ago Lisa mentioned that white fat cells have a tendency to fill with water once their fat cargo has been shed, thus making us feel like we're on a stall, but once the cell lets go of the replacement water we see a "whoosh" on the scale.

It's most likely a combination of the two. Whatever it is, enjoy it. Congrats on the nice loss for the week, long may it continue. Plus, you're absolutely right - you will see uneven loss and, eventually, patterns in how your body loses weight.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #67  
I can do it again!

S/C/G: 194/191/160

Height: 5'6"

Hi,

I started IP February 14 (Happy Birthday and Valentine's Day to me!) and in the last week, I've gotten the itch to get back into running. I'm starting slow -- 4 Weeks to 1 Mile first, then 8 Weeks to 5 K, etc. It sure is a heck of a lot easier to move when you're lighter.

I especially appreciate your wisdom regarding exercise and IP, Amanda, and I just wanted to say thank you! (I also am from El Paso, so I noticed your profile right away!) Thank you -- all -- for fearlessly sharing your weight loss and exercise paths. It's very, very helpful, even for those of us who do not post regularly.
marcibeaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #68  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcibeaucoup View Post
Hi,

I started IP February 14 (Happy Birthday and Valentine's Day to me!) and in the last week, I've gotten the itch to get back into running. I'm starting slow -- 4 Weeks to 1 Mile first, then 8 Weeks to 5 K, etc. It sure is a heck of a lot easier to move when you're lighter.

I especially appreciate your wisdom regarding exercise and IP, Amanda, and I just wanted to say thank you! (I also am from El Paso, so I noticed your profile right away!) Thank you -- all -- for fearlessly sharing your weight loss and exercise paths. It's very, very helpful, even for those of us who do not post regularly.

oooh another runner for the 5K thread. I love it when people have a plan - then I know they will succeed!

Are you from EP, or still here now? Let me know any time you're coming back (or free if you're still local) and we can meet up for some IP-compliant munchies or a run/jog (any distance).

It's definitely WAY easier to run without the weight. I used to hate how much butt would bounce up and down when I started - it felt like a counter-balance holding me back. Now I don't even notice I have one LOL.

I can't believe you picked Valentine's Day to start IP - that has to be the ultimate definition of masochist with all those chocolates and yummy treats, so well done for the strength of will to get started then!
Old 05-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #69  
I can do it again!

S/C/G: 194/191/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
oooh another runner for the 5K thread. I love it when people have a plan - then I know they will succeed!

Are you from EP, or still here now? Let me know any time you're coming back (or free if you're still local) and we can meet up for some IP-compliant munchies or a run/jog (any distance).

It's definitely WAY easier to run without the weight. I used to hate how much butt would bounce up and down when I started - it felt like a counter-balance holding me back. Now I don't even notice I have one LOL.

I can't believe you picked Valentine's Day to start IP - that has to be the ultimate definition of masochist with all those chocolates and yummy treats, so well done for the strength of will to get started then!
Amanda,

I am from EP but I live in Washington State now. I have family there and I get homesickness from time to time for sure! When I'm next in EP, I will let you know and we can meet up for some grub and a jog if you like -- so sweet of you to offer. Another reason I love this forum. Thank you!

I have been fighting my metabolic syndrome for what seems like decades. After the birth of my last son, nine years ago, it's like my body just quit metabolizing anything correctly. I tried everything and threw my hands up in despair and by the time I fully vetted IP and talked to my doc and then got an appointment, I wasn't waiting one more day to get going! After years of battling the bulge and the high fasting blood glucose and high blood pressure and high cholesterol, I knew that Valentine's day will still be there next year.

Thanks again. I'll check out the 5k thread, if I can find it.

Last edited by marcibeaucoup; 05-05-2015 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Chronic editoritis.
marcibeaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:06 AM   #70  

Welcome Marci - I very much relate to all you write.

Hope everyone is well.
Had a pretty intense Pilates mat workout today. Seems so simple, but hurts so good. Requires a lot of balancing while strengthening and it’s perfect for what my body needs now that I am a few months into maintenance. So grateful I can do this and for how much healthier, stronger, and speaker I have become.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #71  

Full day and night tonight so no time for any heavily sweaty endeavors, but did an enjoyable fast 45 minute walk on my lunch break, and ended up breaking a light sweat anyway It was really nice to be outside.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 PM   #72  
Restarted IP 7/3/2017

S/C/G: 273 / 269.8 / 173

Height: 5'11"

Hey Movers, I wanted to get some input on my workout and extra packets. I think I'm on the right track, I'm really trying to listen to my body and give it what it needs, but I could use some confirmation/correction!

I am in Phase 1 currently and working out three times a week. My workout consists of C25K for 30 minutes, followed by weight training for my arms on the gym machines. I just added in 10-15 minutes of shooting hoops between my run and the weights, and found I was getting more deflated than I was comfortable with. I really want to be able to do all the working out I want to do, but to also make sure I'm getting enough fuel on workout days!

Thus far I've been very good about my lunches and dinners, making sure I'm eating the right things and enough of everything. My packets are typically as follows:

Breakfast - Mint Choc Shake (100 cal, 7g carbs, 15g protein)
Lunch - 2 hard boiled eggs (160 cal, 2g carbs, 12g protein)
Snack - Choc soy nuts (150 cal, 11g carb, 15g protein)

I added a quest bar for every post-workout:
Quest bar (160 cal, 8g carb, 20g protein)

In response to my deflation, I just added a drink mix before/during my run:
Orange drink (70 cal, 3g carb, 15g protein)

TOTAL (of packets only)- 640 cal, 31g carb, 77g protein

I generally have a spinach salad with 1.5c veggies and apple cider vinegar with my eggs for lunch, and my most common dinner meal is turkey burgers with asparagus.

This is the first day I've added in the extra drink packet, and I'm feeling pretty good, but let me know if you think it was a good call, or if there's anything you think I could do to improve upon this!

Last edited by ImASharkIPromise; 05-06-2015 at 08:29 PM.
ImASharkIPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:40 PM   #73  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Looks like a good balance to me, Sharkie. Only thing I'd do differently is to have half the Quest bar WITH the orange drink and then the other half when you finish.

That way you are putting carbs in BEFORE the workout. Raises the blood sugar level high enough that you will spare the muscle needing to be cannibalised for energy and you are going to burn it all off during the workout. Or, put it in AFTER the running and before the hoops/weights. If you're anything like me you can't run with anything in your stomach.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:05 AM   #74  

Shark, Amanda is for sure the expert.
The only thing I thought I’d mention is until I got under 200 lbs, I was told to have four packets, and I needed them. Sometimes even under 200 I needed them. On the days I worked out I still added a packet, so that would be 5 packets if needed. I am 5’7”, so you’re also taller than I am.
I don’t know if you have a coach, and I think some clinics do the 4 packets until under 250, but I thought I’d throw that your way.

I was someone who didn’t want to skimp on calories/packets as long as I kept losing weight - I preferred to work out and lose slower.
Everybody’s priorities are different.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:18 AM   #75  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASharkIPromise View Post

PACKET 1: Breakfast - Mint Choc Shake (100 cal, 7g carbs, 15g protein)
PACKET EQUIV 2: Lunch - 2 hard boiled eggs (160 cal, 2g carbs, 12g protein)
PACKET 3: Snack - Choc soy nuts (150 cal, 11g carb, 15g protein)

I added a quest bar for every post-workout:
PACKET 4: Quest bar (160 cal, 8g carb, 20g protein)

In response to my deflation, I just added a drink mix before/during my run:
PACKET 5: Orange drink (70 cal, 3g carb, 15g protein)

TOTAL (of packets only)- 640 cal, 31g carb, 77g protein

DINNER: I generally have a spinach salad with 1.5c veggies and apple cider vinegar with my eggs for lunch, and my most common dinner meal is turkey burgers with asparagus.

This is the first day I've added in the extra drink packet, and I'm feeling pretty good, but let me know if you think it was a good call, or if there's anything you think I could do to improve upon this!

Amber - her packets look fine. She's also having a dinner meal on top of the packets, and it doesn't look like she's including the lunch veggies/salad or dinner calories in that count.

EDIT: Sharkie - as you get into the longer running intervals, you are probably going to want to switch that orange drink out for something a little "meatier" like a protein shake. When checking out the caloric burn for running it is an exponential increase with the longer segments running, as the heart rate rises higher. I took 24oz and chugged it like a water monster (and I really struggle to get enough fluids in) and then had a protein shake.

Last edited by Briael; 05-07-2015 at 01:23 AM.