Old 02-12-2015, 04:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: (reboot) 294/263/210

Height: 6'-0"

Default massive sleep disruption

Ever consider how much poor sleep effects weightloss goals?
http://kirk-parsley.squarespace.com/faq-blog/

http://navyseals.com/4539/sleep-depr...-parsley-tedx/

I work in the energy sector and we don't classify as 9-5ers'.
I have basically been at work with only brief rest periods since Monday 8AM. Right now it is 3AM Thursday. Basically nobody is available to do what needs done except me. No choice exists but to just grind it out.

I am sure my cortisol and other mechanic for weight loss and health are drastically distorted.
Doc Parsly talks about how just one night of distrupted sleep can cause insulin sensitivity and hormone function reduction.

Last edited by wylothar; 02-12-2015 at 07:52 AM.
wylothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #2  
Started IP 1/9/2015

S/C/G: 237/140/140

Height: 5'3"

Thanks wylothar! That is very interesting! I have always believed the strong correlation between sleep, stress, and health. However, I never really put it together with weight loss until now. Getting a good night's sleep is a top priority of mine, and luckily I have the kind of job where that is (usually) something I can do.

Good luck with your weight loss efforts, despite the extra roadblock of sleep deprivation. Hang in there!!
AltKatonIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #3  

This was a very unintentional experiment for me. But Finally was able to be home at noon Thursday from a monday 7AM wake up. I had brief periods to try and rest but the wife and I figure no period was longer 4 hours total. And only had one of those. Most of the time at home was averaging about 2 hours from walk in to walk out.

I ate protocol 100% even with the extra hours awake. I didn't feel the need for more food. Coffee yes but not food.

I had only dropped about 4# from my weigh in the previous thursday. And it was stalled. So beyond the lack of sleep I absolutely had a stress response because it isn't typical and I work in a safety sensitive position.

Thursday afternoon I had some periods of napping and then had a good 8-9 hour period of fairly restful sleep. I say fairly restful because our caveman genetics aren't designed for an entire period of 9-10 hours 100% knocked out. For which I think many people think good sleep should be.

This morning over 4# went down overnight. So it gives at least me some scale to how much these environmental inputs effect our goals.

The sleep doctor Parsely in one of his interviews explains that insulin resistance does uptick with just one night of a couple of hours of sleep.
I think that same interview he explains the process of a sleep reset. It isn't easy and only really applicable in a clinical setting. But for regular people it gives ideas how to plug it in to regular life and get some normalized sleep patterns.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

I get where you are coming from, wylothar... I too have a weird sleep schedule since I work part-time and on-call nights in Security Sector while still trying to keep a 'normal' day life since I am married to someone who works days. I also have a disorder which affects my sleep:

Quote from Medscape overview of studies on Fibromyalgia.
""Sleep dysfunction is considered an integral feature of fibromyalgia. About 70% of patients recognize a connection between poor sleep and increased pain, along with feeling unrefreshed, fatigued, and emotionally distressed.[40, 41] Several studies have linked abnormal sleep with these symptoms. Sleep studies have shown that patients with fibromyalgia have disordered sleep physiology.

Sleep is not a state of massive system shutdown. On the contrary, the brain is active during sleep, constantly communicating with the body. Many neurohormones, antibodies, and other molecules are synthesized during sleep; therefore, when sleep is disrupted, biochemical abnormalities can occur, leading to multisystem disturbances.

To understand abnormal sleep architecture, it is essential to know the basics of normal sleep. Sleep can be divided into 2 main parts: nonrapid eye movement (NREM) and rapid eye movement (REM), which alternate cyclically through the night, always starting with NREM sleep. In each successive cycle through the night, NREM sleep decreases, and REM sleep increases. Each cycle, NREM plus REM, lasts about 90 minutes.

NREM is divided into 4 stages:

•Stage 1 is initial drowsiness

•Stage 2 is light sleep

•Stages 3 and 4 are progressively deeper levels of sleep.

In stages 3 and 4, an electroencephalogram (EEG) will show delta waves, which are high-amplitude (>75 mV) waves that move slowly (0.5-2 Hz). Much of the body's regulatory work, as well as the synthesis of many substances (eg, antibodies, growth hormone, other neurochemicals), occurs during NREM sleep.

REM sleep has a low-voltage, mixed-frequency pattern on EEGs and is considered dream sleep. In this stage, the body has a complete loss of muscle tone, known as flaccid paralysis, and it cannot move. During this part of sleep, consolidation of memories may occur, but disagreement still exists as to what takes place with regard to memory during REM sleep. Some investigators have found that during waking hours, the brain generates alpha waves with a frequency of 7.5-11 Hz.

The disordered sleep physiology in fibromyalgia has been identified as a sleep anomaly of alpha-wave intrusion, which occurs during NREM stage 4 sleep. This intrusion into deep sleep causes the patient to awaken or to be aroused to a lighter level of sleep. Some investigators describe the altered sleep physiology and somatic symptoms as a nonrestorative sleep syndrome.

Sleep dysfunction is believed to be linked to the numerous metabolic disturbances associated with fibromyalgia, including abnormal levels of neurotransmitters (serotonin, substance P) and neuroendocrine and immune substances (growth hormone, cortisol, interleukin-1). These metabolic imbalances are thought to be responsible—through impairment of tissue repair and disturbance of the immunoregulatory role of sleep—for the increased symptoms associated with this sleep disorder of alpha-wave intrusion.

Most alpha-wave intrusions occur during the first few hours of sleep, decreasing throughout the night to normal levels by early morning. This hypothesis correlates well with patients' frequent reporting that their best sleep is obtained in the early morning hours, just before arising.

Many fibromyalgia patients also have primary sleep disorders that can reduce sleep quality, such as obstructive sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome, or periodic limb movement disorder. All patients should be screened for the presence of primary sleep disorders before assuming that reduced sleep quality is due to fibromyalgia. ""

It certainly affects stress & fat storage.
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #5  

I was on a CPAP and oxygen concentrator in my first go around on IP. I have started to wonder how not using may be a negative effect on reboot. I own my cpap and still have it but it was getting really difficult to find someone to sell me an O2 concentrator. I don't believe in taxing the medical system by renting when purchasing long term items is necessary and in the long run take burden off businesses and end users.

So not knowing my blood oxygen levels at night I wonder how much that is going to slow me down in my new goals if they (O2 levels) aren't at a reasonable level. I though of this after listening to an interview with the Dr. Parsely who primary practice is in sleep. I dropped the 02 generator when I moved across state lines because the company was a pain in the butt and wouldn't just let me bring my unit here. I also no longer use my cpap because I don't snore anymore after losing all the weight initially on IP. I would like to experiment with just upping my O2 concentration at night without the cpap. They blow, literally and figuratively. I had to use a full face mask, full on Bane from batman look.

My understanding from research when I was using the cpap equipment. Two general types of apnea. Nervous system related and inflammation/ body mass related. I was experiences a mixture of both. Many people simply lose a bunch of weight and the sleep breathing can normalize except when you have the nervous system issue. I am curious of eating a low systemic inflammation diet and having plenty of healthy fats can improve that nerve signalling. It is well documented of certain healthy fats including saturated fats improve the nervous system and responsiveness. Healthy myelin is critical for nervous system firing. myelin is a sheath that coats the nerve system. Think like insulation on a wire but it allows signaling through it also when appropriate. That is a laymen description because the crux is if you improve the health of myelin does it improve nervous system related sleep apnea? I have to go back and re read Dr. Perlmutter and some of others to find some specifics.

http://wellnessmama.com/8464/healthy-saturated-fat/
Old 02-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

As I lost weight I need a lot less sleep. I can get by on 5 hours now. At my highest weight, 9 hours was typical. I could go longer.

But the real value from sleep for me regarding weightloss is twofold regardless of all the cortisol, stress nonsense or whatever you call it.

First, on less sleep you cannot work out as well. For me that's lifting at the gym or running but it might as easily apply to any physical activity.

Secondly, it gives your muscles less time to recover which again affects activity.

Last edited by IanG; 02-13-2015 at 07:09 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:54 PM   #7  

interesting. You would be classified as a unique clinical example.

I believe it was this interview with Doc Parsely by the barbell shrugged guys.
He has research that show otherwise, even with navy seals, and others who jobs put them in a sleep restricted state.
http://daily.barbellshrugged.com/better_at_everything/
I believe it was a reduction of 2 hours a nigth a few days those being studied actually felt like their performance as actually rebounded and was on par with pre deprived levels but then because they logged performance, perceived versus actual performance was much different. The actual performance was less than that of when they had the 2 hours more of sleep.

comprehensive study showing performance effects in all aspects from sleep deprivation even in elite athletes.
Sleep in Elite Athletes and Nutritional Interventions to Enhance Sleep
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4008810/

conclusion
Sleep deprivation can have significant effects on athletic performance, especially submaximal, prolonged exercise. From the limited evidence, it appears that athletes may be obtaining less than 8 h of sleep per night. Increasing sleep (sleep extension) or napping may be useful to increase the total number of hours of sleep.

Changes in glucose metabolism and neuroendocrine function as a result of chronic, partial sleep deprivation may result in alterations in carbohydrate metabolism, appetite, food intake and protein synthesis. These factors may negatively influence an athlete’s nutritional, metabolic and endocrine status, and hence potentially reduce athletic performance. While there is some research investigating the effects of nutritional interventions on sleep, future research may highlight the importance of nutritional and dietary interventions to enhance sleep.

Last edited by wylothar; 02-13-2015 at 10:55 PM.