Old 02-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: (reboot) 294/263/210

Height: 6'-0"

Default Anyones arthritis get worse on IP?

I was curious if anyone's arthritis has gotten worse on IP? I was diagnosed with RA at 13 +/-. They told me if I stay active or I would be crippled at young age. Started strength training and never had a lot of problems.
The last 2-3 years we have been grain and legume free. My first time on IP 4 years ago didn't effect my joints. On my 40 birthday it seemed I got a present. Pain and trigger finger in fingers of both hands. I am about 5 day into second time on IP and my fingers are nearly crippled now. Primarily at night and in the morning. They lock with varying degrees of pain all the time it just is worse in evening and mornings.
I know some products are GF but most of them use soy.
wylothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #2  
maintaining since 9/2013

I'm sorry to hear that wylothar. I have often read that Iper's experience improvement with RA (and sometimes exacerbation of gout). It sounds like a good idea to try an elimination diet. Although I'm okay with soy, many folks have problems. It's possible the crops have changed what with genetic modification, so that soy in an IP packet now isn't the same as before.

btw, are you eating red meat? I know a few over the yrs who had improvement in their RA by avoiding it. not everyone, though.

If anyone can figure it out, I'm confident that you can
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #3  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

I have arthritis of the neck and spine, and occasionally get a frozen shoulder and IP hasn't made any difference at all. I have a lot of RA in the family and grew up being told to avoid tomatoes and other nightshades, because they put an additional burden of inflammation on the body.

Are you using any alternatives, wylothar, or 100% IP? I know that Lisa has previously linked a spreadsheet that shows all the soy based products and grain-free ones that may help you avoid the worst of the products that cause issues.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:28 PM   #4  

As for GMO, I am not buying into that. Even some real food professionals say the entire species not just the GMO versions are problematic for our digestive systems. Plus no one seems to be dying from any gmo food except corn. I don't anyone claiming an issue about gmo mangos.

Now the GMO monocrop agriculture process effects on the planet and soil integrity impact for me is a problem but not ingestion. Gut inflamation exist in non gmo corn consumption also. I just don't see enough solid evidence that comes from non bias studies. When a GMO "smoking gun" release comes comes out, I watch Chris Kresser for a writeup. He doesn't buy into ideological dogma but has a practice putting people on real food approach. He doesn't buy nonsense research practices. It weakens the argument. He supports eating real food but is not afraid to through the BS flag on a play. Matt Lalonde is another guy who supports a real food approach but will throw that flag with a vengence. His knickname is the kraken, because no one survives meeting a one.
http://chriskresser.com/are-gmos-safe

I was toying if its the oxalates in the raw green leafy veggies or the soy. I knew about oxalates in kale but reading raw spinach contains it also. most raw leafy greens do. Those can kick off an inflammatory response. But it started before IP and just has gotten worse. I wasn't eating much spinach before. Mostly brocolli, brocollini, cauliflower, and roasted sweet potatoes.
None of it raw so oxalates would be reduced.
https://bewellcoaching.wordpress.com...nd-joint-pain/

Definitely not the proteins. I eat broad spectrum of types and red meat only small percentage. We buy quality proteins also.
I already don't eat any nightshades except tomatoes in small amounts as a seasoning more than a true veggie. Peppers are instant gut issues.

About compliance: I only use IP engineer food products. To me if you deviate from the engineered food you aren't on IP. That is just me. The new IP lists of foods are far more broad so. My largest deviation is Coconut oil and grass fed butter. Both are anti inflammatory and are in small doses. Plus I was consuming them in far larger quantity before reboot for the last 4 years. In fact those fats are prescription for many anti inflammatory protocols using a real food approach.

My last idea is: Repetitive motion disorder from work. At regular intervals for decades I have to operate large wheel valves. It is a constant grip and turn motion. Think like an old pickup truck without steering assist. My last holdout because it was like I just woke up one day in November and it has never gone away. I had short periods since I was a teen but never this long or painful.

Last edited by wylothar; 02-02-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #5  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Sounds like food isn't causing the issue then. I know that when I have tomatoes and red peppers I get stiff, sore shoulders and the small of the back aches. Surprisingly, I don't get that issue with peppers of any (Edit: other) variety.

Exercise definitely helps me, and being lighter makes a world of difference - not sure if it's just the reduced pressure, the endorphins or the better posture.

Hope you can find a solution, wylothar, as I know how much RA can affect quality of life. Do you know if any of the preservatives have an effect on it at all?

Last edited by Briael; 02-02-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #6  

I thinking something is exacerbating it not the singular source because it been far worse lately since reboot. from on a scale was a 3 now its an 8.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

If I was on IP and had arthritus, I would eat a can of sardines every day for a month. This would fix the arthiritus and (I guess) would be compatible with the diet.

Last edited by IanG; 02-02-2015 at 03:18 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

All of my aches and pains actually went away when I started IP. Before I even lost the weight. I have arthritis (beginning stages) in my knees, back, and shoulder and my pain is absolutely gone!
Kellyc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #9  

That is what I expected also. Time will tell for me. IP is largely anti inflammatory at least by the real foods. Not sure about possible triggers in the package foods.
I just feel that recent increase of the flaring up seems to be triggered by something the last few days.
My worst case is it a repetitive motion condition and little can be done for that.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #10  

Actually, my aches and pains went away while in phase 1, and came back with a vengeance in phase 3. It turns out I am allergic to casein and yeast. There goes baked goods, and dairy!
cassiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiemac View Post
Actually, my aches and pains went away while in phase 1, and came back with a vengeance in phase 3. It turns out I am allergic to casein and yeast. There goes baked goods, and dairy!
I expect much same for me. I already don't consume dairy except for grass fed butter. I have zero intent on adding back in grains. I probably end up on autoimmune protocol paleo.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:19 PM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

I was diagnosed with RA around the same age as you - 13ish. It worsened after I had my son 13 years ago.

I found that my symptoms got better as I progressed through IP but i think that may be that I was feeling better about myself and being more active as I lost more weight.

I've never found a link between foods that I eat and symptoms - my triggers are definitely weather related. The damp, cold just about kills me. This dry cold that were are in right now is fine.

I hope you get some answers, I know how tough that never-ending ache can be - good luck!

Jo
PurpleMomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:25 PM   #13  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylothar View Post
As for GMO, I am not buying into that. Even some real food professionals say the entire species not just the GMO versions are problematic for our digestive systems. Plus no one seems to be dying from any gmo food except corn. I don't anyone claiming an issue about gmo mangos.

Now the GMO monocrop agriculture process effects on the planet and soil integrity impact for me is a problem but not ingestion. Gut inflamation exist in non gmo corn consumption also. I just don't see enough solid evidence that comes from non bias studies. When a GMO "smoking gun" release comes comes out...
My point about GMO was that you do not know which proteins are in the soy since there is now foreign genetic material. Hence there might be new allergens. The soy you consumed initially in IP may not be the soy that is now in their product. I have no interest in engaging a food fight about GMO on this forum, just responding to your health concern. Hope you figure it out and feel better.

Last edited by mars735; 02-02-2015 at 11:25 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:43 AM   #14  
started IP June 21, 2014

S/C/G: 182/133.4/130

Height: 5' 3.5"

Wylothar, Something to keep in min for after IP....

http://toquietinflammation.com/
murrcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wylothar View Post
I expect much same for me. I already don't consume dairy except for grass fed butter. I have zero intent on adding back in grains. I probably end up on autoimmune protocol paleo.
The whey protein in the packets doesn't bother you? That is also dairy.
The soy protein bothers me. A lot!

Since RA is autoimmune (as opposed to osteoarthritis, which is wear and tear), have you read any of Dr Terry Wahls? She developed a protocol for her MS but others are finding relief from autoimmune conditions by following it.

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-03-2015 at 06:58 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote