Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #31  
IP Start Date Jan 5, 2015

S/C/G: 229/204/165

Height: 5'7"

Default First WI Done!

First WI is done and I am down 8.5lbs! I am ECSTATIC! I know, I know, it's the first week and probably some of that is "water weight". Well, I don't care! It's water weight that's not on ME! lol! Yee haw!

This is great motivation to keep going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda.lou View Post
Good Morning All! Day 8 of IP and starting week 2 today.

It's my very first WI day after work today. I'm excited and a bit nervous! But I am definitely in ketosis, so hoping for good results. Yesterday I was craving chocolate SO BADLY! I think today I will buy some of the brownie mix just to have around for those bad cravings. I have been learning a lot of great tips and tricks on this site, so thank you all for sharing your experiences. I am going to purchase more packets of drinks and things that I can turn into other food like bread and muffins, and satisfy that craving, while still staying OP. And when I say craving, it's not so much a hunger craving as it is a mouth-craving. Wanting that texture to chew. I don't know if that makes sense, but that's what it feels like for me.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeterminedDieter View Post
Happy Monday IPeeps,

I hope everyone had a great OP weekend. I had a zero lb loss week, and I missed measuring last night, but I am sure I've lost in inches. I have a NSV, I went shopping at lunch with a coworker and comfortably fit into a size 8 pair of jeans!! Single Digit Baby!
Congrats on the size 8!! That is such a lovely size!

Quote:
First WI is done and I am down 8.5lbs! I am ECSTATIC! I know, I know, it's the first week and probably some of that is "water weight". Well, I don't care! It's water weight that's not on ME! lol! Yee haw!

Wow, 8.5 is terrific! Keep up the discipline and you'll be right where you want to be before you know it.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Default Interesting studies Re: Obesity & Fatty Liver Disease

Just got my Medscape email and there's a very interesting article on gut permeability and many health problems (I was looking for Celiac disease info myself) including its role in obesity and fatty liver disease. Here's a direct quote and I will post the link to the whole article although you will probably have to join Medscape to read it.

Role of Intestinal Permeability and Probiotics in Obesity and Fatty Liver Disease. The new concepts on the pathophysiology of obesity and associated metabolic diseases such as NAFLD and NASH, type 2 diabetes mellitus or cardiovascular diseases, stating that such pathologies are related to the intestinal barrier and the intestinal microbiota, derived predominantly from mouse studies. It could be clearly shown that metabolic diseases are linked to increased intestinal permeability and translocation of bacteria or bacterial products like endotoxin from the intestine to the liver and to other tissues.[96,144,213,214] Moreover, it became clear that the microbiota of obese[215,216] and diabetic[217] individuals differs from that of the healthy, lean population. In the meantime, evidence is growing suggesting that these alterations are of functional relevance.

The altered microbiota in obesity and metabolic diseases contributes to an enhanced harvest of energy from nutrients. In particular, energy harvest from food carbohydrates depends on the microbiota, because specific bacteria found to be increased in obese individuals provide enzymes not expressed by host cells and allowing the digestion of otherwise more or less indigestible carbohydrates.[218–220] In type 2 diabetes, the microbiota looses its capacity to generate SCFA from prebiotics,[217] which might be a genuine defect or an adaptation to low fiber intake, which has been revealed by several epidemiologic studies.[221,222]

The altered intestinal barrier and the subsequent translocation of small amounts of bacteria or bacterial products is now regarded as one important mechanism causing the low-grade inflammation characteristic for metabolic diseases possibly linked to the subsequent infiltration of organs such as liver, muscle and heart muscle with fat.[223–226] Western style diet rich in fat and sugars alters the intestinal barrier in a way resulting in enhanced permeability and elevated endotoxin levels in the portal vein.[104,150,227]

The result of such alterations is enhanced infiltration of tissues with bacteria and bacterial products and subsequent tissue inflammation and fat accumulation, which can be observed first in the liver and later on in other tissues such as muscle or heart muscle.[150,219,228] Also in peripheral blood and in adipose tissue bacteria or bacterial products can be observed following feeding with energy-rich Western style diet, an observation that might enable to define new bacterial biomarkers of intestinal barrier dysfunction in metabolic diseases.[89,214] However, the two alterations, barrier dysfunction and microbiota alteration, are not necessarily linked, but can occur independently.[229] These findings provide a new concept on the pathophysiology of obesity and metabolic diseases that might offer new therapeutic strategies both at the level of diets and of drugs (Figure 7).

Considering these mechanisms it is tempting to speculate that probiotics and prebiotics might have beneficial effects in chronic metabolic disorders. First data derived from experimental studies in mice or from preliminary, human pilot studies indeed point in this direction. For example, possible effects of probiotic bacteria or particular diets on the gut barrier can be studied using organ culture models[230] or feeding models.[13,231] In humans, overfeeding alters the bacterial composition of the commensal microbiota in healthy individuals in a way that results in increased energy harvest from food.[232] The composition of the commensal microbiota might allow the prediction of weight gain in human individuals at risk like pregnant women.[233] In addition, administration of selected prebiotics or probiotics can improve metabolic alterations in animal models of metabolic liver disease[103,127] and in obese human individuals.[234,235] Such data suggest that new therapeutic concepts could be developed in the future to support treatment or prevention of obesity and associated diseases.

Link: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/837168

Liana
(the numbers in the text are links to the actual studies referenced)
Old 01-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #34  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishposhappelsauce View Post
I am rebooting too, and like you, I was winging it last week. No good! Hopefully we both get it right this week. Planned out my meals and have everything ready to go. Also hoping to take a few more pounds off before getting back into maintenance. Are you planning to do the full normal phase off or a shortened one?
I hadn't thought that far ahead. I think if I stop at where I ended the last time, maybe a shortened one. If I go lower, I will do a full phase off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelineb View Post
According to the fancy scale at the IP office, I've lost over 4 pounds of fat (yay!) but only 1 pound overall. Has this happened to others? My coach said that I've not been eating enough so my body is going into starvation mode (muscle mass went up). Trying to reconcile that in my mind and not get dejected. He also noted in my food journal that I'm not eating the 3 protein packages consistently, which also contributes. It's such a different mindset to force myself to eat something when I'm just not hungry.

I'd love to hear your experiences, advice, etc. Thanks!
I didn't have a fancy scale to muddy the waters. The scale I had at the office only measured in .5 and my coach had a measuring tape. I think I prefer the simplicity. If you are following the plan, don't worry about the other stuff.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 265.6/154/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeterminedDieter View Post
Happy Monday IPeeps,

I hope everyone had a great OP weekend. I had a zero lb loss week, and I missed measuring last night, but I am sure I've lost in inches. I have a NSV, I went shopping at lunch with a coworker and comfortably fit into a size 8 pair of jeans!! Single Digit Baby!
Size 8 is awesome! WTG, you should be so proud!

Quote:

Wow, what a great first Weigh in! Hold onto these good feelings. It will help tied you over when the weight is not falling off as freely. Such a great job!!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:19 PM   #36  

S/C/G: Reboot 2014

Height: 5' 5"

So my reboot hit a snag when I got the flu last week. I wasn't 100% when I was sick, but I'm back now and feeling MUCH better.

Small personal victory: I'm doing the spring challenge and am down 5 lbs since NYE (excluding the flu loss) and today a coworker commented on how it looks like I've lost some weight. He's a bit of a creepster, but I'll take it because I'm noticing it too.

My clothes are fitting better and I am starting a couch to 5K program with a goal of running a 10 mile race in May and a 1/2 marathon in August. Yikes, but I've had lots of energy and can do it if I do it slowly. Kind of like IP, right? Today was day 1 of the official training program and I ran/walked for 20+ minutes!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:26 PM   #37  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by berteau View Post

My clothes are fitting better and I am starting a couch to 5K program with a goal of running a 10 mile race in May and a 1/2 marathon in August. Yikes, but I've had lots of energy and can do it if I do it slowly. Kind of like IP, right? Today was day 1 of the official training program and I ran/walked for 20+ minutes!
Congrats! Also start C25K this week (Wednesday, Friday, Sunday will be my days). I think there are another two people doing the same thing now that we're all fairly well established in P1 and understand what our exercise limitations are.

How did it go? How are the muscles feeling? Did you up your salt intake to reduce cramping and did you make sure to get your extra protein packet in afterwards? Are you using a pre-recorded podcast or just going on the preset timers?

Interested in hearing how you got on.

Last edited by Briael; 01-12-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:35 PM   #38  

S/C/G: Reboot 2014

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post

How did it go? How are the muscles feeling? Did you up your salt intake to reduce cramping and did you make sure to get your extra protein packet in afterwards?

Interested in hearing how you got on.
I'm excited about it and need to make exercise a habit and plan for it in the same way I do my meal planning.

I found a great C25K / C210K podcast (Chubby Jones on iTunes or chubbyjones(dot)com) with some tunes that get me moving. I actually did eat an extra pack before the run (bar) and water and salt after. So far, so good. But we'll see what tomorrow brings.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:18 AM   #39  

The date for this daily chat has been removed so we can use it for at least one more day.

I'm super bloated this morning (tight rings!). I was up late watching the college football championship AND dinner was carryout meat from a restaurant (sides were homemade, however). Luckily, I know it goes away easily with added water consumption today.

Quote:
First WI is done and I am down 8.5lbs! I am ECSTATIC! I know, I know, it's the first week and probably some of that is "water weight". Well, I don't care! It's water weight that's not on ME! lol
Congrats!
I've always thought the same thing. Who cares if it is "water weight"? It is still weight we're no longer carrying around!
Old 01-13-2015, 08:10 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 196.5/185/125 (Reboot 2017)

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for all the encouraging words Another cold day here, I'm getting tired of the -30s, I hope February will be kinder.

Quote:

Awesome first WI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by berteau View Post
So my reboot hit a snag when I got the flu last week. I wasn't 100% when I was sick, but I'm back now and feeling MUCH better.

Small personal victory: I'm doing the spring challenge and am down 5 lbs since NYE (excluding the flu loss) and today a coworker commented on how it looks like I've lost some weight. He's a bit of a creepster, but I'll take it because I'm noticing it too.

Great job getting back OP, and 5lbs since NYE is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
Congrats! Also start C25K this week (Wednesday, Friday, Sunday will be my days). I think there are another two people doing the same thing now that we're all fairly well established in P1 and understand what our exercise limitations are.
I was going to wait until I phased off, but I've been thinking lately of getting back into running and doing the 5k program. After reading about a few of you starting it up I think I will just do it! I have been feeling the lack of exercise, last Thursday I had my first soccer game since the holidays and I felt it the next day! I'll also be starting my second season of curling at the end of the month (the facilities are old and needed repair so we are late starting), and I am looking forward to that.

I hope everyone has a great OP day!
Old 01-13-2015, 08:50 AM   #41  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishposhappelsauce View Post
I am rebooting too ... Are you planning to do the full normal phase off or a shortened one?
Pishposh & Chipndip - I am also rebooting. Thought this might be helpful.

I asked a lot of questions back in 2012 when I was initially finishing phase 1. Based on input from the wonderful people here, I decided to skip phase 2 entirely. Went straight to phase 3 and did that for the full 2 weeks. That worked very well for me - I continued to lose even in maintenance for a while.

Of course, here I am 2 years later, but I can't blame that on how I phased off, since I did maintain for well over a year.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelineb View Post
According to the fancy scale at the IP office, I've lost over 4 pounds of fat (yay!) but only 1 pound overall. Has this happened to others?
Hi! I wanted to follow-up with you with my own example from this morning's weigh in. I lost .4 overall this week. (yeah, not a typo, but that's another story!) Anyway, if you look at my other #'s, I lost 1.2 pounds of fat, and gained .8 pound of muscle. So it can definitely happen!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #43  
Started IP 11/26/2014

S/C/G: 205 (190 on IP)/174/150

Height: 5'5"

ladelineb - I can't believe that your coach said that you're in starvation mode when your muscle mass went UP. If you were using your muscles for energy you would be breaking them down therefore decreasing your muscle mass, I would think at least? Though, he does have a point about having the 3 packs a day. This diet is low calorie and it's important that we get all of our packets in a day to ensure that we are meeting the minimum requirements for our body to function properly. I've had to force myself to eat packets before. Maybe the drinks might be easy for you when you're not hungry? In the evening you could heat up the chocolate drink and have a "hot chocolate"...maybe even add some cinammon and vanilla (yummy!)! Then it wouldn't feel like you're "eating a packet" so to speak?
Old 01-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 273/273/180

Happy Tuesday ladies! I see a lot of ladies are starting the C25K program, that's awesome. I have been wanting to get out there and do something as well, my legs need some toning! I went to a spin class last week and loved it. I told my coach and she wasn't super excited, she said that the one thing she learned at her coach training was the spinning is a no go. Any ideas as to why? I'm thinking of sticking to it once a week while adding some lifting in 2 other days of the week.

Also - I had my extra packet before the class last week, is this ok or do I have to have it after? Just concerned because it's at 630pm, so not enough time to get dinner ready first but I am very hungry by then!

Thanks!

Last edited by TeagsC; 01-13-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 165/XX/140

Height: 5'8"

Good Morning,
After months of researching life style changes I decided IP and found a clinic that carries the food. When I went for my initial consulting the clinic has changed from IP to a Pro Energy. Apparently very similar to IP and by the sounds of it many of you would consider it an alternative. Now my journey begins, and I am on day 2. I have a goal of trying to read this form and perhaps post something now and again to keep myself in the mind frame and I am sure I will have questions. Have a great OP day (I had to research the acronym only to find it on the first page).
Closed Thread