Old 06-25-2014, 04:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 376 RNY / 283 IP / 247.2 / 160

Height: 5'7"

Default Dizzy & Cranky (Day 30)

Hey all--I wanted to check in here with a question. I am on day 30 of IP and noticed that I am dizzy and lightheaded a lot. It's particularly acute about 30-60 minutes after eating, including super low-carb IP meals. Doesn't really matter what I eat.

I asked my coach, and there are no obvious culprits. No BP changes (I have a monitor at home), not on any meds, not suddenly taking way more supplements (such as iron) than normal. I get all my salt and water in, and all my supplements.

Another issue is that I am SO CRANKY all the time. Like, constantly checking my TOM app to see if it's PMS. I tend to get really dramatic PMS mood swings, so I thought that might be it. Nope. But I'm as super cranky as PMS!

One thing we may check is my thyroid; it was a little low and that is the one thing I'm taking, a super low dose of non-pharmaceutical strength thyroid meds.

I plan to write my doctor if things aren't better by the end of the week. I started Metformin because I was constantly hungry and losing tons of lean mass even on 5 packets a day (and oy, $$$!). Thursday is a week in. I was hoping the Metformin would level me out somehow.

Still, anyone have experience with this? The worst part of all I am losing weight sooooo much more slowly than I *should* be. I lost 16 pounds the in first 5 days but just 7 pounds in the almost 4 weeks since then. Just frustrating that even this extreme and expensive diet isn't doing what it's supposed to for my incredibly stubborn body. AND I feel like crap, none of the Keto-miracle-energy-stability stuff. Blurg.

I'm not giving up. I need this to work. But any insight or help would be super appreciated.
tamila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #2  

Rule out any non-IP related medical causes with your medical providers.

In the meantime, remember that IP was originally designed for off-season athletes with some weight to lose. It works for morbid obesity too but I've often thought there needed to be adjustments. Those of us with bigger starting weights may need other extras. Have you tried some extra salt when you experience lightheadedness? Literally lick some from your hand & chase with water? This works for mist people within 30 minutes.

After ruling out medical issues (def have a complete thyroid panel, not just TSH), also remember that weight loss releases stored estrogen. I had all kinds of symptoms, including an incredibly goofed up TOM.

I also think as we get closer to "just" overweight, the bio impedance scales become more accurate. Those scales are only an estimate. I'm wondering if you were really losing as much lean mass as it showed.

Check immediately with your doc or pharmacist to see if the metformin could be causing any of these side effects, as well, since it is a new addition
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #3  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

Height: 5'4"

Great advice, Lisa!

I have been on and off Metformin for POCS and infertility. I chose tp stop Met with starting IP b/c i felt it wasn't necessary on such a low carb diet. It really can make me feel ill...so coulf be the culprit. It could also be causing hypoglycemia. IMO, doc should run fasting glucose and also A1C to rule out diabetes. Good luck!
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #4  
Alt IP Reboot 6/25/2014

S/C/G: 270/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

I am going to agree about the Met being the cause of the issue. I don't think Met + low carb is a good combination, based on my layperson's understanding of how that drug works. I know when my husband tried that combo, he felt horrible, and as a result went off IP (quitting the Met was not an option for him). I would definitely talk to your doctor and see if you are allowed to stop it.
txtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:58 PM   #5  

I was having these symptoms before the Metformin, but wasn't losing weight which is why we added it in. And the reason I am on IP is because my a1c test showed that I am insuli resistant, or pre-diabetic. I've also considered the body fat / estrogen link but I had gastric bypass in 2009 and list weight even more rapidly and never had these issues.

So, in sum, it sounds like this is as much a mystery to the boards as it has been to my coach and doctor. I was hoping someone else would go, "Ah! That was me! Here us what we found!" and there would be some missing link.

It's so frustrating to just not be responding the way I am "supposed" to, even keeping the diet strictly.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamila View Post
I was having these symptoms before the Metformin, but wasn't losing weight which is why we added it in. And the reason I am on IP is because my a1c test showed that I am insuli resistant, or pre-diabetic. I've also considered the body fat / estrogen link but I had gastric bypass in 2009 and list weight even more rapidly and never had these issues.

So, in sum, it sounds like this is as much a mystery to the boards as it has been to my coach and doctor. I was hoping someone else would go, "Ah! That was me! Here us what we found!" and there would be some missing link.

It's so frustrating to just not be responding the way I am "supposed" to, even keeping the diet strictly.
Everyone is different and not all people get that great ketosis feeling.
Some don't.
Have you considered the Alternative plan for diabetics? Losses are slower (but yours have slowed a tad...1-2 lbs/week is pretty typical when weight gets lower). Maybe you'd feel better?
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #7  

My 2 cents. I was feeling that way too and switched to alternate protocol and I lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks with more food. I am 2 lbs to goal and then again I started feeling weak and tired so I discussed with my coach to phase off and yesterday was my first day in Phase 2 and I had veggie burgers for lunch and I could really tell the difference. I felt energetic. I even exercised yesterday.
hope2781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #8  
Alt IP Reboot 6/25/2014

S/C/G: 270/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

What thyroid tests did your doctor run? Any other tests other than A1C?
txtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2781 View Post
My 2 cents. I was feeling that way too and switched to alternate protocol and I lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks with more food. I am 2 lbs to goal and then again I started feeling weak and tired so I discussed with my coach to phase off and yesterday was my first day in Phase 2 and I had veggie burgers for lunch and I could really tell the difference. I felt energetic. I even exercised yesterday.
Hmm. I will keep going but talk to my doctor soon and see what she wants to do. I just want this to work the simple way!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtw View Post
What thyroid tests did your doctor run? Any other tests other than A1C?
It was a full blood panel, plus the fasting blood sugar & insulin and then the awful glucose drink. For thyroid, it was just TSH. So maybe we'll look more into that.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #11  

Yes, I'm on week 4, and several people close to me have been asking me what's wrong, because (according to them) I seem subdued, cranky, and a bit anti-social. If you ask me, I just feel cranky and irritable. I don't normally have any issues at all with mood or hormones, so . . . why?

Advice I received:

1) Make sure to drink all the water, even if you're getting your water and even if you're not thirsty. Don't be your own judge here.

2) On all of the days I was super-cranky, I had at least one stretch of 4+ hours with no food - like travel or long days of business meetings. I figured I'd just plow through it and then eat, but it seemed to impact my mood for the whole evening.

3) Eat extra protein - this didn't come from my coach, it's something I've added in. I feel better when I have some meat or eggs with every meal. Several days I've added in an extra 2oz of protein and felt a bit better. That could be in my head, but it seemed to help.

4) Lastly, this seems to be just me, but eat a bigger breakfast. I try to have either an egg or 2 links of chicken breakfast sausage for breakfast, and it gets me off to a better start for the day.
Seattleite2016 is offline   Reply With Quote