Old 06-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #46  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I had a tough one today for "guilt". We were in a meeting with only 3 of us and one lady brought all kinds of things she had made -- I won't even say what they were. So it was very awkward. She went to a lot of trouble to make snacks (none OP) and there were only 3 of us so it was pretty obvious if things didn't get eaten....

I took a few small things and tried to eat them slowly. I know I could have said no but I felt embarrassed NOT to eat as she went to all that trouble.
Zoiks!!

I made the best choices I could but I may be back to "day 1" tomorrow... hate to go through that all again but I really wasn't prepared with how to deal with "guilt eating" LOL... Usually it would be me feeling guilty FOR eating, not feeling guilty TO eat so I guess it's a warped NSV in a way???
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotrips3 View Post
I know, canadjineh. I use all the spices and flavorings I can. However, I may or may not use a tad more than I should sometimes. In restaurants, many think that "healthy" means bland and dry, no salt, unless they drench it in "healthy" sauces or dressings which I've found to be by and large, fruit, honey or teriyaki based - all a no go. When you ask them to skip the sauce, etc., they tend to just leave it dry - no oil, no broth. Even if you seasoned it after it got to your table it would be blah. I've had better luck with asking for a regular cut of meat and holding the regular sides and adding sauteed veggies and asking what veggies they can use. Otherwise you get a plate full of carrots! My favorite Mexican restaurant has proven to be the best at this.I also bring a dressing packet, stevia and an IP snack. The last meal that I referenced was at BJ's Brewhouse chain and I've never had a bad dish there. However, what they served me just made me angry. The fish was so dry that drenching it in lemon and adding some olive oil just kind of absorbed. It was sorcery I tell you! Worst. Meal. Ever.
Sounds like they don't know how to cook fish without frying it in a ton of butter... too bad - poached can be amazing. I have to be gluten free so I am used to going to a restaurant and giving them exact directions about NOT adding anything to the meat & veg, lol. I always have some sort of GF spices or sauces with me when I go out of the house as you never know when you will be stuck and eating out for convenience. Just a matter of planning ahead, and I am used to that after almost 5 years of GF eating now. Best bet is to find a couple restaurants in the local area that do a good job of proper non-sauced cooking and frequent them the most.

I agree that it can be very difficult if you have to travel all over the country for work, as not all chain cooks are the same, talent-wise. It might be an option to google some site where there are GF restaurant reviews, as pretty well all GF'ers will be ordering very simple food that is easy to spice up yourself and likely IP compliant.

Re: dry fish - my DH is always asking if the fish is cooked when I bake or BBQ it as he thinks fish must be dry when it is cooked. His mum was an 'Old English style' cook and veg were overcooked, fish was dry and meat was always well done. Even after 32 years he still doesn't quite get it...

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 177.7/178.1/150

Height: 5'4

Good job mrskuby!

IP43 - That is a hard situation. I don't know what I would do either. It's particularly hard for us people pleasers. I would feel real guilty saying no. Can't wait to hear everyone's suggestions.

In regards to asking for everything without sauce or oil and veggies steamed... this takes away from the fun of going out. I go out for the people as well as the food and the experience of not having my own cooking. This is going to be a hard one for me. That is why I am 90% I guess! I will make good choices but sometimes I just want to relax. .... See... this is why I have a weight problem. ...
Sheena1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #49  
Diane on track July 2014

Sheena I do appreciate your honesty- and it's why we all have a weight problem. The good news is you know how it will affect you if you have your restaurant spices. If we want this to happen faster, being stricter is better. If we're okay with "slow and steady" then we can be less rigid in our choices. To each their own. I know I may be a bit slower this week due to our "meeting mayhem" but I recognize what I was eating and was being "conscious" about what I was putting in my mouth-- vs. the "old days" (a few weeks ago! LOL) when I would have been "unconsciously grazing" and not had a clue how much "nibbling" was going on.

Afterthought: I have said before I'm hesitant to tell people at work I'm on a diet. Maybe if I had been saying something about trying to eat healthier, it wouldn't have been awkward today as the people would not have brought those snacks, or would have understood if I said no... hmmm... something for me to think about....

Last edited by IP43; 06-13-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #50  
Diane on track July 2014

Mars - thanks for your wisdom. It is a small blip but you have some good strategies. Someone posted on my facebook today (totally unrelated to my mood but seemed so appropriate
7 Things to give up:
1. people pleasing
2. negative thinking
3. doubting yourself
4. fear of failure
5. criticizing yourself
6. saying yes when you want to say no
7. procrastination

Funny how I am kinda "guilty" of all of those in just TODAY.... but I now will stop doing #5 AND #7.... and get back to writing my report cards. LOL....

Last edited by IP43; 06-13-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #51  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I had a tough one today for "guilt". We were in a meeting with only 3 of us and one lady brought all kinds of things she had made -- I won't even say what they were. So it was very awkward. She went to a lot of trouble to make snacks (none OP) and there were only 3 of us so it was pretty obvious if things didn't get eaten....

I took a few small things and tried to eat them slowly. I know I could have said no but I felt embarrassed NOT to eat as she went to all that trouble.
Zoiks!!

I made the best choices I could but I may be back to "day 1" tomorrow... hate to go through that all again but I really wasn't prepared with how to deal with "guilt eating" LOL... Usually it would be me feeling guilty FOR eating, not feeling guilty TO eat so I guess it's a warped NSV in a way???
Another strategy that worked for me is to say "oh, those look fantastic but I really can't eat anything right now. Okay if I just wrap a couple up and take them with me for later?" And then give them to dh to eat. Clients brought me a ton of really nice food for Christmas last year and I was very appreciative and all of it came home with me to be eaten by the snack monsters I live with.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #52  
Diane on track July 2014

'snack monsters' -- what an endearing way to describe my very own children... I'm gonna use this one as it's nicer than "hoover 1" and "hoover 2"... hee hee
Old 06-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #53  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
'snack monsters' -- what an endearing way to describe my very own children... I'm gonna use this one as it's nicer than "hoover 1" and "hoover 2"... hee hee
I love the "hoovers"! In my case the snack monsters are my dh and his brother - both tall guys who don't have to watch their weight and can eat a LOT of food.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:05 AM   #54  
Diane on track July 2014

They say "opposites attract" Ruth... maybe that's why so many people on a weight loss journey seem to be married to bean poles. My dh isn't a bean pole though so I have to be watching all my "children" -- the little ones and the big one -- to eat their veggies and stay out of the cookies. However, dh is trying to lose weight too, but doing a different method, and so it does make it a bit of a challenge at times around here. At least we're both trying so I support him -- even if I'd rather he were doing it "my" way... (what else is new eh? LOL)

Last edited by IP43; 06-14-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #55  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

My coworkers are very thin. We work in separate offices so they don't see me often. I was dreading an all day meeting that would involve food. I didn't want to tell them I was on a diet. We ended up together a few days before the meeting and they noticed my lunch so it was all out in the open and I have to say I was relieved.

Last week I was in a different all day meeting. To everyone's surprise there wasn't a bunch of food waiting to be eaten. I was the only one not starving as I had to bring my own food. My celery looked very good to the guy sitting at my table. I put my crisps in a baggie so they didn't look like special food. I was set.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 170.4/157.2/140

Height: 5'7"

It feels a little ridiculous to say, but I am so glad to be back at work today! It's just easier to stay OP. This weekend was crazy!

My BF is moving in with me. He has a three year old daughter, and this was his weekend with her. So, we started out on Friday at his apartment. On Saturday morning, she helped us pack up all her toys and we moved them over to my house, then spent Saturday night there. This was all great, except for one little problem. I bought a new sofa to replace the four-piece set I had before, but didn't actually have room for. I'm selling the bigger set so I can make room around the house for BF's things. But I've already got the new sofa in, and the old stuff has been on Craigslist the last two weekends but no one is buying it! So it's still sitting in the middle of the dining room, and in what will be her playroom. Hence, nowhere to put her toys. So they are EVERYWHERE!!!

Yesterday we celebrated Father's Day with BF's family on his sister and brother-in-law's boat. Wow, that boat was huge! It was a great day and we boated to seafood restaurant, which was great and OP. Except - they have two kitchens, the "steam room" and "fry room". Now, I didn't order any fried food, but my scallops weren't steamed so they came out of the "fry room". Apparently said "fry room" was extremely backed up. The crab legs from the "steam room" came out in about 20 minutes, but the rest of the food took about two hours. I was sooo hungry. Then all the food came out of the "fry room" except for mine. Of course. They didn't take too long to get it out to me - maybe another 10 minutes, but I was so starving I grabbed a couple of popcorn shrimp (breaded and fried). I just couldn't help it, I was sooo hungry. Anyhow, I tested this morning and my four fried shrimp didn't kick me out of ketosis.

The scale hasn't really budged all week, but I'll accept that as OK since I haven't been perfect and I haven't gained. I'm just so glad the weekend is over! Next weekend BF moves the rest of his things in, so it's probably going to be just as stressful. Anyone want a living room set? It has to be gone before the rest of his stuff comes over, so here's hoping someone will buy it this week, otherwise I'm just going to have to donate it. Which sucks, because it's actually a really nice set.
NotCoolEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #57  
IP start date 12/12/12

S/C/G: 197.6/191.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:

Zoiks!!

That is a dilemma but I always try to remind myself that in a situation like that, if she had gotten her feathers ruffled cause you said "no thanks" then that is on her...it's a reflection of what she has going on, not necessarily caused by your actions. I still try to be kind, but I also try not to take it personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth Ann View Post
Another strategy that worked for me is to say "oh, those look fantastic but I really can't eat anything right now. Okay if I just wrap a couple up and take them with me for later?" And then give them to dh to eat. Clients brought me a ton of really nice food for Christmas last year and I was very appreciative and all of it came home with me to be eaten by the snack monsters I live with.
^^^Love this idea !!!^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCoolEnough View Post
It feels a little ridiculous to say, but I am so glad to be back at work today! It's just easier to stay OP. This weekend was crazy!

My BF is moving in with me. He has a three year old daughter, and this was his weekend with her. So, we started out on Friday at his apartment. On Saturday morning, she helped us pack up all her toys and we moved them over to my house, then spent Saturday night there. This was all great, except for one little problem. I bought a new sofa to replace the four-piece set I had before, but didn't actually have room for. I'm selling the bigger set so I can make room around the house for BF's things. But I've already got the new sofa in, and the old stuff has been on Craigslist the last two weekends but no one is buying it! So it's still sitting in the middle of the dining room, and in what will be her playroom. Hence, nowhere to put her toys. So they are EVERYWHERE!!!

Yesterday we celebrated Father's Day with BF's family on his sister and brother-in-law's boat. Wow, that boat was huge! It was a great day and we boated to seafood restaurant, which was great and OP. Except - they have two kitchens, the "steam room" and "fry room". Now, I didn't order any fried food, but my scallops weren't steamed so they came out of the "fry room". Apparently said "fry room" was extremely backed up. The crab legs from the "steam room" came out in about 20 minutes, but the rest of the food took about two hours. I was sooo hungry. Then all the food came out of the "fry room" except for mine. Of course. They didn't take too long to get it out to me - maybe another 10 minutes, but I was so starving I grabbed a couple of popcorn shrimp (breaded and fried). I just couldn't help it, I was sooo hungry. Anyhow, I tested this morning and my four fried shrimp didn't kick me out of ketosis.

The scale hasn't really budged all week, but I'll accept that as OK since I haven't been perfect and I haven't gained. I'm just so glad the weekend is over! Next weekend BF moves the rest of his things in, so it's probably going to be just as stressful. Anyone want a living room set? It has to be gone before the rest of his stuff comes over, so here's hoping someone will buy it this week, otherwise I'm just going to have to donate it. Which sucks, because it's actually a really nice set.
You're doing great! It's so much harder when the scale doesn't move but just trust that it will, prolly once you all get settled into the new living arrangement!

__________________________________________________ ______

I made it thru the weekend with only a few off-plan items. I also didn't drink nearly enough water since we were out riding 4-wheelers and I didn't want to keep having to pee in the woods! LOL

I'm up 1.5 lbs this morning but I know it's mostly water. Plus I'm coming down with a cold so that doesn't help. I'm sure I'll be down again in a day or two. No worries!

Spent yesterday afternoon with DH walking our property. We have 5 acres and we were able to find all 4 of our markers. It's mostly wooded with a smallish lawn which is perfect for us! We found the tiniest deer/fawn tracks while we were out there! It's so cool having wildlife right outside our door!

Well, back to work I guess! Have a great day everyone!
mrskuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #58  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

Well I was a poster in the 100% but as intended I went on vacation (I got to onederland before I left which was my goal) and I enjoyed my vacation. Now I'm reaching for onederland again, I weighed in this morning and I gained about 2-3lbs on vacation depending on what weigh in I took lol. I know that many feel like cheating sets you back a lot, and ya it does, I have to lose lbs I've already lost but in the scheme of things whats another week or so? I busted butt to stay OP for over 3 months and I don't regret my vacation at all. Sure I intended to go down and try to be P3 but there was a surprising lack of available veggies and fruits in the restaurants where we were so on the second day I said eff it I'm going to enjoy myself. I still made fairly good choices, I didn't eat a bunch of fried food, I didn't gorge myself. I just ate, drank, and enjoyed and I have to say it was worth it. I told myself that as long as I didn't gain more than 15 lbs I would be ok with the scale when I got home and I was pleasantly surprised to have only gained a few lbs of what I am sure is water weight.
AmberLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #59  
IP start date 12/12/12

S/C/G: 197.6/191.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
Well I was a poster in the 100% but as intended I went on vacation (I got to onederland before I left which was my goal) and I enjoyed my vacation. Now I'm reaching for onederland again, I weighed in this morning and I gained about 2-3lbs on vacation depending on what weigh in I took lol. I know that many feel like cheating sets you back a lot, and ya it does, I have to lose lbs I've already lost but in the scheme of things whats another week or so? I busted butt to stay OP for over 3 months and I don't regret my vacation at all. Sure I intended to go down and try to be P3 but there was a surprising lack of available veggies and fruits in the restaurants where we were so on the second day I said eff it I'm going to enjoy myself. I still made fairly good choices, I didn't eat a bunch of fried food, I didn't gorge myself. I just ate, drank, and enjoyed and I have to say it was worth it. I told myself that as long as I didn't gain more than 15 lbs I would be ok with the scale when I got home and I was pleasantly surprised to have only gained a few lbs of what I am sure is water weight.
I'll bet it only takes a couple of days to lose those couple of pounds. I find that as long as I get right back OP after an indulgence, it takes no time at all to get it off again. Sometimes it's followed by a bigger drop too. You have a great attitude about it and it's great that you enjoyed your vacation!
mrskuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #60  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
Awww, you belong back in the !00% thread but we're glad you dropped in There's absolutely no need for self-recrimination or shame. It's just more effective to look forward and respect your choices. Nice that you enjoyed yourself and only had a small gain. You've got this.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote