Old 06-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 238/177/180

Height: 6'2"

This is a great thread! My wife and I used it as our basis for our alternative program and love it. Thank you!

We use GNC's Pro Performance AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60 whey/leucine formula for our twice-daily shakes, one scoop in the morning and one at lunch. We use primarily Quest bars, but also use GNC's Designer Whey bars. Both taste great (Quest chocolate brownie and cookies 'n cream are terrific, as are the Designer Whey Peanut Butter Crunch). We follow the rest of phase 1 as much as possible, using a variety of supplements, typically generics purchased locally (nothing from a fancy "natural" store; too costly with too little benefit IMHO).

One thing we've found to be essential is the psyllium from Organic India (we buy ours on Amazon). It reminds me of cream of wheat. Three scoops once of twice a day is plenty to help the plumbing run well. We tried the capsules of psyllium from Now, but you need many capsules to equal a single scoop from Organic India's psyllium.

We track our calories (~900-1000/day), sodium (~1000mg/day), fiber (~40-60 gms/day), weight, and exercise in Fat Secret/Calorie Counter. It's a great way to keep track and make sure we're on course, whether we have our smart phones or tablets.

We also don't add any salt. There's been no downside to avoiding the salt and I'm a firm believer in keeping salt below 1500mg per day as a cardiologist. There will be some arguments about 1500mg vs 2000mg vs 2400mg, but I think the general idea is we need to keep it much lower than the common 4000-6000mg used daily worldwide. I think the data on 1500mg vs 2400mg is lacking and we just need more information as to which is better. Will I have some days around 2500mg? Sure, but I also have days around 1000mg to help balance it out. I think getting people down to 2400mg/day would be a terrific success compared to what I see people eating on a day in 'n out basis.

The more recent literature arguing against salt restriction has clear flaws. For example, one group of authors arguing against salt restriction are clearly fear mongers promoting their "healthy" or "natural" approaches to foods as better alternatives, drawing you to their sites to sell ads and buy quackery. There are other groups promoting the use of salt for a variety of reasons. For example, salt is added to meat to increase water weight and, therefore, cost paid per unit at the grocery store. Salt use also encourages beverage consumption through triggering thirst. A review of the recent hypertension guidelines specifically commented on the critics of salt restriction who referenced the "harm" of the low salt diet and found that those who were listed as being on a very low salt diet were plagued by comorbidities and also had impressively low caloric intake. Therefore, the people who were felt to be sicker due to a low salt diet were already quiet sick and malnourished and the critique of the articles indicates there wasn't adequate control for confounding factors. In short, cardiology literature still favors aggressive salt restriction to a goal in the range of 2000mg. As such, we saw no need to add 1000mg of salt to our diet and have seen no ill effect after around of month of dieting.
GeneDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #32  
restart 5/27/14

S/C/G: 197.4/161.6/150

Height: 5'5"

It's already been said but I am doing IP with all alternatives. I use Quest Bars, they are delicious. I feel like I'm cheating when I have them. I also buy my food from Nashua Nutrition and really like the Proti Diet White Cheddar crisps. I am a chip lover and they seem to satisfy the crunchy chip craving. I also enjoy the Protithin sour cream & onion soy puffs.
jemma51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 221/192.4/160

Height: 5 '8

miholmes- i was just taking a look at the lindora site...are there any other winners for products that you really enjoy from them?
CO_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 218.7/212.6/165

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by miholmes View Post
Thanks I actually have both flavors in my fridge. I bought one of each to see which one I'd like better.

My next item to research is acceptable "free" drink choices. I know I can do tea, but like sweetener with it....so that isn't good...So now I'm on the hunt for that. Which I liked just plain old water......even though I'm choking it down today.....
do you know if these EAS shakes are available only in the US? I tried a postal code search in canada, nothing comes up
LOSINGFORGOOD2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #35  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSINGFORGOOD2010 View Post
do you know if these EAS shakes are available only in the US? I tried a postal code search in canada, nothing comes up
You can order through low carb grocery store or go direct to their stores or satellite stores if there is one near you.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:12 AM   #36  

Salt and the low Carb Diet
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #37  

Default Supplements

If you are doing this with alternative products, do you need to be taking any supplements? I know with IP they have you take some.
dreppe5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/145

Height: 5'3"

I am 100% IP, but this was a great break down list for alternatives. May be in my future.
Tanklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:25 PM   #39  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreppe5 View Post
If you are doing this with alternative products, do you need to be taking any supplements? I know with IP they have you take some.
Yes, you should be taking supplements that are listed on the P1 sheet. I don't offhand have a list of alternative supplements that work but search the forum and I think there was a thread on what will work.

I do know that when I left all my supplements at home while out of town I managed to find everything except the potassium. I like the IP potassium because it didn't seem to upset my stomach as much as other brands but had real problems finding something similar (I take it occasionally since mine tends to run low). Hated paying the IP price for it but finally tracked down one that is similar - it's made by Twinlab.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:43 PM   #40  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreppe5 View Post
miholmes' initial posting that began this thread includes the supplements he/she? researched:

Supplements◾ Ultra Vita Man
◾ Calcium/Magnesium/Vitamin D
◾ Potassium
◾ Omega 3,6,9

If you go to the first posting in this thread you will find that each item laid out for the Alternative Plan that miholmes researched is linked to more detailed info at a site where you can buy that item online.

Overall I have to say that this is a great thread! I have just subscribed to it and in a month or so, I think I'll be shifting to largely alternatives. I picked up some EAS Carb Control RTD today at the grocery -- huge savings there - 4 pack on sale for $4.79 - much better than $30 for 6 servings!!! No Cappuccino, but Vanilla will lighten my coffee just fine - ;-)

Last edited by oneuh2; 08-05-2014 at 09:48 PM.
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 209/184/150 Age:21

Height: 5'11"

Im doing Lindora as well, and I really love the banana fiber pudding, so GOOD! And the Pretzel Twists help with crunchy cravings!!!

-Shelby
ShelbyLynn8 is offline   Reply With Quote