Old 05-21-2014, 11:39 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaIP View Post
Glad I bumped into this thread! I am on IP from end of March and am a vegetarian Indian from chennai. It has been tough finding vegetarian protein especially when eating out (other than chinese..). It would be great to hear some ideas.
Hi nina, I suggested to another Indian IP member to talk to their coach about using the Alternative P1/2 program. This is not IP using alternative products but actual IP protocol that involves adding 1 serving each of lo fat dairy, starch, and fruit per day, mainly for people who must have more food like diabetics. This would enable you to use 0% Greek Yogourt (which has a lot more protein than regular yogourt) as well as pulses, like beans or lentils, daal, etc. I did Alternative for P2 and it made it much easier to eat on plan. Unfortunately, paneer can't be included in the lo fat dairy category as it has about 21g of fat/100g serving.
You do lose slightly slower on Alternative because of the slightly higher carb, calorie & fat count, but it still works very well.

Hope this helps
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 186/162/160

Height: 5'4

Thank you Liana, That is a great suggestion! I will discuss with my coach as well.I wanted to get some initial results and planning to Phase off when I hit 160. Then I can try some of the alternate options to reach my goal. I have been happy with the results so far.
NinaIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #18  

Hi Nina, I am the one Liana was talking about :-)
I am an Indian and on plan since Apr02.
I am 8 pounds to goal and missing the dals,fruits badly. I do eat chicken when forced but not my favorite and I am sick of eggs already.
Liana suggested about Alternative Phase 2 plan and I looked at the protocol sheet and I don't mind staying on Alternative plan for a while :-)
I am meeting my coach for weekly weigh in tomorrow and I am definitely going to discuss that with her.
On P1 I am not losing more than 1 or 2 pounds per week so if I will lose the same amount with more food I will be happy to take it :-)
Unfortunately the veggie proteins like dals,paneer are not allowed on P1.
Let us know what your coach says.
hope2781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #19  
Started IP: 4/4/2014

S/C/G: 154/See Ticker/125

Height: 5'0''

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Hi all: Tomatoes are an occasional veggie, but you can choose two items per week - from what I understand 2 cups is a veggie serving. I used a bit of tomato every other day and didn't have a problem. I never ate two cups at a time, but would cut up 1/2 a small tomato for my salad, or use some as a salsa. I can't see how 2 or 3 spoons of rasam would cause a problem.

But, your choice. Whatever works to fit with lifestyle & tastes.
Hope your trip goes well Chrztina. I used the Phase 1 IP Alternate program when travelling (it adds 1 fruit, 1 lo-fat dairy, and 1 starch to your meal plan each day), it is mainly for people with diabetes but still works well and is much easier to stay on plan with. You can google or ask your coach for more info. You still lose weight, just a tiny bit slower than regular plan.

Liana
Liana, here is an update from my trip -

I did end up going off plan for the nine days, but I basically stuck to the alternative program, with the exception of being able to avoid fruit. I had IP for breakfast and snack. Lunch and dinner were always ordered for me and I was able to experience wonderful Indian food. Luckily the portion sizes are smaller than in the US and the meals were "family style", so I was able to stop eating without the guilt of leaving lots on my plate.

I even came back half 0.7 lbs lighter. Now I'm back to OP!
Chrztina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #20  

I am really very proud of you. You ate Indian food and still lost weight??
You are amazing. Which place did you visit and what are foods that you tried for lunch and dinner?
Old 05-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2781 View Post
I am really very proud of you. You ate Indian food and still lost weight??
You are amazing. Which place did you visit and what are foods that you tried for lunch and dinner?
I visited the Delhi area for work, including a trip to Agra to see the Taj Majal. I can't even remember most of what I ate. Different types of dals, curries, naans, a small amount of rice, tandoori.

I ate these hollow crisp things that you break open and fill with a chickpea-pepper mix. I'm not sure of the name but they were really good. I also had a big mint flavored leaf filled with spices and sauce from a street vendor.

For this trip I think moderation was key to my weight loss. Either that or I lost a pound from sweating!
Old 05-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #22  

That is great! you have been brave eating some street food, but that is the best way to experience India!
Old 05-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #23  

@Hope2781, My weigh-ins is on Friday and I will talk with her as well. Please let me know what your coach say tomorrow. I might stay OP for 2 weeks before I start the alternate. For me, it is very restricted with no eggs and meat. I pretty much do veggie burgers or Tofu for the protein and not many choices.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #24  

yum yum.. christina. My mouth waters thinking about that stuff. But you are right portion control is the key and you did great. Welcome back to the plan :-)
Old 05-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrztina View Post
Liana, here is an update from my trip -

I did end up going off plan for the nine days, but I basically stuck to the alternative program, with the exception of being able to avoid fruit. I had IP for breakfast and snack. Lunch and dinner were always ordered for me and I was able to experience wonderful Indian food. Luckily the portion sizes are smaller than in the US and the meals were "family style", so I was able to stop eating without the guilt of leaving lots on my plate.

I even came back half 0.7 lbs lighter. Now I'm back to OP!
Way to go, Chrztina!!! Sounds like you had a most excellent time!! AND, you even came back lighter from a vacation, wow!

Liana
Old 05-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #26  

You should be able to eat daal (lentils) - just don't use as much oil to fry the spices - but we are to have 1-2 tsp oil each lunch & dinner so that is on plan, too. I just looked at my Alternative protocol sheets and you ARE allowed 150g of cooked legumes, beans, chickpeas, lentils as the 1 starch choice. If you keep the spice oil in the allowable amount, you should be smiling. It's just paneer that is too high in fat for the dairy choice.

That will help the vegetarians/vegans out there...

Liana
Old 05-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #27  

Liana, My coach did not know much about it. But she was going to find out about the alternate and let me know.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrztina View Post
I visited the Delhi area for work, including a trip to Agra to see the Taj Majal. I can't even remember most of what I ate. Different types of dals, curries, naans, a small amount of rice, tandoori.

I ate these hollow crisp things that you break open and fill with a chickpea-pepper mix. I'm not sure of the name but they were really good. I also had a big mint flavored leaf filled with spices and sauce from a street vendor.

For this trip I think moderation was key to my weight loss. Either that or I lost a pound from sweating!

Puri? Those are so yummy! I love to make Cholay and Rajma!! Oh I how I miss both of those **sigh** My hubby loves them too. I make it for him but I only sniff not taste!!!

ps. my hubby is Desi I am from Iowa
sarahBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahBell View Post
Puri? Those are so yummy! I love to make Cholay and Rajma!! Oh I how I miss both of those **sigh** My hubby loves them too. I make it for him but I only sniff not taste!!!

ps. my hubby is Desi I am from Iowa
Yes puri! Thank you for helping me put a name to them. Once I'm in maintenance I am going to learn how to make some Indian dishes.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #30  

I like spiced potato in puri.... but I am too lazy to make anything like that - plus I need to find a GF Puri recipe, lol. I haven't had some in over 4 years. I'm pretty sure they won't puff up properly if they are GF because there isn't enough elasticity in the dough. SAS,SAD,SAD. Also loooove with Pudina Thogayal (tamarind mint chutney). Oooops, drooling on keyboard.

Liana