3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Alternative products that will work on Phase 1 part 3 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/291417-alternative-products-will-work-phase-1-part-3-a.html)

wildirishrose 04-20-2014 09:16 PM

Question. I was at Meijer looking for pure protein shakes and they didn't have them so I got som Atkins shakes. What do you guys think? Are they interchangeable?

Calories - 160
Total fat - 9
Sat fat - 3
Trans fat - 0
Cholesterol - 15 g
Sodium - 220mg
Potassium - 530 mg
Total carb - 5 g
Dietary fiber - 2g
Sugars - 1g
Protein - 15g

lisa32989 04-20-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildirishrose (Post 4988320)
Question. I was at Meijer looking for pure protein shakes and they didn't have them so I got som Atkins shakes. What do you guys think? Are they interchangeable?

Unfortunately no. Atkins is a much higher fat plan than IP. Atkins shakes are above 30% fat.

EAS carb control work, however.

ChipnDip 04-20-2014 10:09 PM

Anyone tried the proti diet pizza?

Yayalaine 04-20-2014 10:16 PM

I think I am finally getting a handle on the fat gram guidelines. For the longest time, I thought the GRAMS were supposed to be less than 30%. The way I now understand it, you multiply fat grams by 9 to get approximate “Calories from fat??” (I googled to get that explanation.)

So, for the Atkins shake question, the fat grams were 9 and the calories were 160. 9 times 9 would equal 81 and 81 is more than 30% of the total calories of 160.

Am I calculating that correctly?

Hiker88 04-20-2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yayalaine (Post 4988347)
I think I am finally getting a handle on the fat gram guidelines. For the longest time, I thought the GRAMS were supposed to be less than 30%. The way I now understand it, you multiply fat grams by 9 to get approximate “Calories from fat??” (I googled to get that explanation.)

So, for the Atkins shake question, the fat grams were 9 and the calories were 160. 9 times 9 would equal 81 and 81 is more than 30% of the total calories of 160.

Yes, that's how I understand it.

maureen kempster 04-21-2014 07:00 PM

good evening all

well I sent my coach an email and told him that I was going to continue following Ideal Protein protocol but that I've decided to use alternative products - I feel that it's just too expensive - I started over the weekend to incorporate some other products and so far no problem - I can do this - what I will start doing is weighing in at Weight Watchers on saturday morning - I'm lifetime member with them - that will keep
me accountable

JLUS 04-21-2014 07:26 PM

Welcome to the world of Alternative Products!

With the accountability of WW for weigh ins and the support of everyone here, you w I'll be JUST FINE!!!

karkrazy13 04-21-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yayalaine (Post 4988347)

The easiest way to calculate that is by taking the "Calories from fat" or "Fat calories" amount that is listed on the nutrition label (typically listed under the "Calories" amount) and multiplying that number by 3 - if it's lower than the total calories, you're good to go :)

For example:

Atkins Chocolate Shake: There are 160 total calories, and 81 calories from fat. Multiply 81 x 3, and you get 243, which is a lot more than 160. ;) So this item does not fit the IP protocol.

I hope this helps! :)

CarbLover443 04-22-2014 03:27 PM

There is SO much info about alt products and I'm looking but maybe one of you can point me to it. I feel like a needle in a haystack.

Are there any unrestricted bars out there? Or are they all pretty much restricted?

lisa32989 04-22-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarbLover443 (Post 4989534)
There is SO much info about alt products and I'm looking but maybe one of you can point me to it. I feel like a needle in a haystack.

Are there any unrestricted bars out there? Or are they all pretty much restricted?

they're all pretty much restricted.
Some people count the lower calorie quest bars (Chocolate peanut butter or Strawberry cheesecake) as unrestricted. Other people find Quest bars stall them. For this reason, I've always counted them as restricted.

JLUS 04-23-2014 08:31 AM

Nashua Nutrition - FREE AHIPPING

On orders over $49 ... Today ONLY!

International customers get $15 off orders.

Code: TODAY49

mainemum 04-23-2014 03:20 PM

Ok, I need some advice. I am trying to come up with a substitute for the IP Omelet packets. I cannot have them because of my food allergies. How does this sound?

I mixed together 3/4 C generic Egg Beaters, 1 T real precooked bacon pieces, and a dash each of dried chives, sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Kernel Season's Cheddar powder. I cooked it for two minutes in the microwave, in a bowl lightly spritzed with Pam spray. It was incredible! So yummy, and it kept me full for hours!

Nutritionals were as close to IP as I could manage. My omelet had 107 cal, 2g fat, 3g carbs, and 18g protein. IP Omelet has 110 cal, 3g fat, 3g carbs, and 18g protein.

Do you think that this is a reasonable substitute? Thanks in advance!

MarylandMom 04-23-2014 03:35 PM

Potassium

I started IP with alternatives on March 24th. Lost 6.6 the first week, 2.3 the second week, 5.7 the third week, and 0 the fourth week. So far, I am only down about .5 for this week (I weigh on Mondays). I have found alternatives for all of the supplements and vitamins except for the Potassium so I have not taken any since starting IP. I have been unable to find Potassium Bicarbonate at any vitamin stores. My question is 2-fold:

1. Could not taking a potassium supplement be slowing my losses? I seem to be losing quite slower than many people on here, especially considering the amount of weight I am trying to lose.

2. Those of you taking alternative supplements, can you tell me where you get your Potassium Bicarbonate? I am having trouble researching online as I am not quite sure what I am looking for. 312 mg. is what is recommended, is that right?

Also posting on the daily chat.
Thanks so much!

ChipnDip 04-23-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarylandMom (Post 4990254)
I started IP with alternatives on March 24th. Lost 6.6 the first week, 2.3 the second week, 5.7 the third week, and 0 the fourth week. So far, I am only down about .5 for this week (I weigh on Mondays). I have found alternatives for all of the supplements and vitamins except for the Potassium so I have not taken any since starting IP. I have been unable to find Potassium Bicarbonate at any vitamin stores. My question is 2-fold:

1. Could not taking a potassium supplement be slowing my losses? I seem to be losing quite slower than many people on here, especially considering the amount of weight I am trying to lose.

2. Those of you taking alternative supplements, can you tell me where you get your Potassium Bicarbonate? I am having trouble researching online as I am not quite sure what I am looking for. 312 mg. is what is recommended, is that right?

Also posting on the daily chat.
Thanks so much!

I responded on the daily chat.

JLUS 04-23-2014 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mainemum (Post 4990240)
Ok, I need some advice. I am trying to come up with a substitute for the IP Omelet packets. I cannot have them because of my food allergies. How does this sound?

I mixed together 3/4 C generic Egg Beaters, 1 T real precooked bacon pieces, and a dash each of dried chives, sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Kernel Season's Cheddar powder. I cooked it for two minutes in the microwave, in a bowl lightly spritzed with Pam spray. It was incredible! So yummy, and it kept me full for hours!

Nutritionals were as close to IP as I could manage. My omelet had 107 cal, 2g fat, 3g carbs, and 18g protein. IP Omelet has 110 cal, 3g fat, 3g carbs, and 18g protein.

Do you think that this is a reasonable substitute? Thanks in advance!

I just posted a response to this in the What Are You Eating Thread!

Ebb Beaters has a TON of unpronounceable ingredients you don't want to be eating!!!

Use one whole egg and three egg whites to sub for a packet... REAL food you can pronounce! I get a container of pure egg whites and LOVE my omelets!