3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Alternative products that will work on Phase 1 part 3 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/291417-alternative-products-will-work-phase-1-part-3-a.html)

Mulse 03-23-2014 03:53 PM

I'm trying to get my head around the Quest Bars. I don't want to sabotage myself. I have three boxes on their way - Chocolate Peanut Butter x 2 and Strawberry Cheesecake. If I use these as restricted, I should be okay, right?

Would having two on the one day a week where I don't have time for an actual sit-down lunch make THAT much of a difference?

MarylandMom 03-23-2014 04:14 PM

I want to order some bars but I have a couple questions as I am just starting out on IP using alternatives.
1. When choosing bars, do you look at the total carb count or do you count net carbs?

2. Restricted vs. Unrestricted? Anything with 9 or more carbs is restricted? Are there any bars that are unrestricted?

3. When can you have restricted items? After Week 2? Week 3?

Thanks!!!!

lisa32989 03-23-2014 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarylandMom (Post 4969228)
I want to order some bars but I have a couple questions as I am just starting out on IP using alternatives.
1. When choosing bars, do you look at the total carb count or do you count net carbs?
Net

2. Restricted vs. Unrestricted? Anything with 9 or more carbs is restricted? Are there any bars that are unrestricted?
I've always used the rule that 7 carbs is the magic number for unrestricted
So 8 & over is restricted in my book.

3. When can you have restricted items? After Week 2? Week 3?
Beginning the first week. Some clinics have "house rules" that vary this but the IP program starts them right away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulse (Post 4969215)
I'm trying to get my head around the Quest Bars. I don't want to sabotage myself. I have three boxes on their way - Chocolate Peanut Butter x 2 and Strawberry Cheesecake. If I use these as restricted, I should be okay, right?
Absolutely
Would having two on the one day a week where I don't have time for an actual sit-down lunch make THAT much of a difference?
They sort've sit on the fence. I consider all bars restricted. You'll have to gauge what works best for you. On days I can't have a sit-down lunch, I eat zucchini muffins.

Recipe here zucchini muffins
Pudding or potoato puree packets are much lower carb/cals/fat than another bar

Janelstpe 03-23-2014 05:16 PM

Lisa, I bought the Syntrax Nectar double stuffed cookie, when I read that one scoop contained 23g of protein I decided to use one half scoop in 4oz of water and just used my shaker bottle. It tastes great but only 4oz I was left feeling hungry! I was curious how you mixed it, or if anyone else out there can offer some ideas! Thanks!

lisa32989 03-23-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janelstpe (Post 4969265)
Lisa, I bought the Syntrax Nectar double stuffed cookie, when I read that one scoop contained 23g of protein I decided to use one half scoop in 4oz of water and just used my shaker bottle. It tastes great but only 4oz I was left feeling hungry! I was curious how you mixed it, or if anyone else out there can offer some ideas! Thanks!

I've used about 3/4 of a scoop with 6-8 oz water. I usually blend spinach & ice in my smoothies, unless I'm having my snack at nite. I don't usually have Syntrax nectar as a stand-alone meal
Remember, altho its a bit over on protein, it is STILL only 100 cals so having half a scoop, you only had 50 cals.

lindalou 03-23-2014 06:09 PM

alternatives

I have been using alternatives mixed with IP packets for 3 weeks now. It doesn't seem to be making too much difference in my weight loss and sooo much cheaper!

lisa32989 03-23-2014 06:22 PM

There is no magic in IP products. :smug:

MarylandMom 03-23-2014 07:54 PM

I am starting tomorrow and I'm absolutely terrified...that it won't work, that it will work, that I'll screw it up, etc. This diet is my last hope. I have purchased the EAS AdvsntEDGE Carb Control shakes and I bought some bars, but now I think they are super restricted. Grrr! Can someone tell me if I need to return these?
Pure Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter
200 calories
20 g of protein
6 grams of fat
15 net carbs
2 g of sugar

I'm guessing some of the Quest bars may be a better choice...

JLUS 03-23-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarylandMom (Post 4969336)
I am starting tomorrow and I'm absolutely terrified...that it won't work, that it will work, that I'll screw it up, etc. This diet is my last hope. I have purchased the EAS AdvsntEDGE Carb Control shakes and I bought some bars, but now I think they are super restricted. Grrr! Can someone tell me if I need to return these?
200 calories
20 g of protein
6 grams of fat
15 net carbs
2 g of sugar

Do you have the little pink graphic that shows the nutrition info to follow when selecting Alternative products? It is back a page or two before this page and also the second or third post on the first page. It is a MUST to have for alternative IP followers!

You will see the calories on this bar are very high as are the carbs (so limit a few a week)! You also have to watch Quest bars. Use the graphic and it will keep you on track. Try looking on Nashua Nutrition site (after reading lots on this thread for ideas). You will find TONS of bars you can use, though all (98%?) bars are restricted for once per day use.

Keep us posted on your successes!

MarylandMom 03-23-2014 08:10 PM

Thank you Laurie! I did see the pink graphic and that's what made me reevaluate my choice of bars. Darn it! But better to figure that out BEFORE eating them! I will stick to the shakes the first few days while I check out Nashua Nutrition for some good IP-approved bars.

lisa32989 03-23-2014 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarylandMom (Post 4969336)
200 calories
20 g of protein
6 grams of fat
15 net carbs
2 g of sugar

I'd count them as restricted but perhaps alternate with some lower-carb restricted. Some other IP restricted have similar profile but many are lower carb/calorie. Or, you could also get some quest choc peanut butter to use & just use the Pure Protein once or twice per week until they're gone.

MarylandMom 03-23-2014 08:34 PM

The Quest chocolate peanut butter are the ones I was just looking at ordering! Thanks Lisa! I think I may keep the Pure Protein ones for an occasional treat once I've mastered the plan.

karkrazy13 03-24-2014 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarylandMom (Post 4969359)
The Quest chocolate peanut butter are the ones I was just looking at ordering! Thanks Lisa! I think I may keep the Pure Protein ones for an occasional treat once I've mastered the plan.

Even though some members don't like using the Quest bars (and some will try and discourage you from eating them at all), I've been eating one bar per day - every day - since I started 3 weeks ago, and I've lost over 11 lbs so far. :)

So, since you are allowed 1 restricted per day, go for it! :) They taste great, and help with cravings (at least for me). Strawberry Cheesecake is yummy! :T

Good luck! :hug:

Blackantsnpeonys8 03-24-2014 09:29 PM

Hi everyone. I begin my first ever diet as soon as the supplemental foods get here. Have many of you done Ideal Protein on your own with alternative products. Any suggestions? I ordered from Nashua. A friend of mine did this and was very successful. So, here I go......suggestions welcome. Feeling overwhelmed.

JLUS 03-24-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackantsnpeonys8 (Post 4970042)
Hi everyone. I begin my first ever diet as soon as the supplemental foods get here. Have many of you done Ideal Protein on your own with alternative products. Any suggestions? I ordered from Nashua. A friend of mine did this and was very successful. So, here I go......suggestions welcome. Feeling overwhelmed.

Be sure to get the info from the first page in this thread with all the comparable nutrition info to IP packets... You need to use it as a guide for what products you can use. Armed with that and the Phase One protocol sheet (linked in the Daily Chat first post) you are ready to READ and learn all you need to know to be a SUCCESS STORY!

Best of luck to you!