Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Isabel, I really appreciate your perspective. I have been coming to the same conclusion about this journey. I am going to copy your comment onto the Oct. Newbie thread, in case they miss this thread. Thank you!
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #17  
Workin' It

S/C/G: 205/186(IP)/159/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post

Being over weight is hard.
Losing weight is hard.
Maintenance is hard.

Choose your hard.

LOVE this! Words to live by
SuzieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #18  
Reboot: 01/01/15

S/C/G: 167 / 151.0 / 125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
You are never done EVER. You will forever gain and loose 5-7-10 lbs. When I hit maintenance I did a lot of research on maintaining. I will forever need to eat 20% less and workout 20% more then someone my exact same size who has never been overweight. The quicker I accepted that I couldn't change that reality the easier my life became.
I really like this. This was something that I didn't keep in the front of my mind after finishing my first round of IP. If I would have more in tune with where my bad habits were taking me, I could have stopped it sooner and had less weight to lose this time around. Again, I LOVE that with IP, you know what to do if the weight starts creeping back up. I knew, but didn't acknowledge or do anything about it until I found myself back to an uncomfortable weight.

This time I will.
KLD81230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #19  
Carb Addict

S/C/G: 290/290/180

Even being pregnant I kept my weight off. I only gained 3 lbs total in my pregnancy. It was after that I swelled up like a toad and have held onto that water for 5 months now. This life change will make you look at food as fuel not comfort and that's a big difference to other "diets"
Tigerlvr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi-

I'm like many of the others. I have to reboot. I think because I'm a carb "addict." In school I took a required course on addiction. And very few alcoholics can go back to just having a drink or two. A very few can without back sliding. That's how I am about carbs, especially sweets. The most I regained was 17 lbs. I am down to my original goal (the minus 37) but I hate the jiggle on the front of my thighs so I am always trying to get down to the - 50. Especially cuz I'm leaving for Mexico on Saturday and those jiggly thighs don't look good in a bathing suit.
deelee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 231.0/183/140

Height: 5'2"

Thanks everyone for all your posts, they have all been the same thoughts I have had and yes I am on reboot as well. I think it is a lifelong process and I am so glad that IP is working as well. I have been on every diet! In life we have been given certain tools and I am glad this one is available to me
Chinookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlvr52 View Post
Even being pregnant I kept my weight off. I only gained 3 lbs total in my pregnancy. It was after that I swelled up like a toad and have held onto that water for 5 months now. This life change will make you look at food as fuel not comfort and that's a big difference to other "diets"
Congrats, your baby is beautiful!!!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:04 AM   #23  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelee10 View Post
Hi-

I'm like many of the others. I have to reboot. I think because I'm a carb "addict." In school I took a required course on addiction. And very few alcoholics can go back to just having a drink or two. A very few can without back sliding. That's how I am about carbs, especially sweets. The most I regained was 17 lbs. I am down to my original goal (the minus 37) but I hate the jiggle on the front of my thighs so I am always trying to get down to the - 50. Especially cuz I'm leaving for Mexico on Saturday and those jiggly thighs don't look good in a bathing suit.
Wow…I am not the only one still kicking around! Good to see you!

My first year in maintenance was great stayed within 7-10 pounds, second year stayed within 7 pounds most the year, then after a 3 week vacation was 15 up for a day or two and then quickly back to goal. Third year of maintenance much rougher….I got more and more relaxed! My goal as I start to enter my fourth year of maintenance is to weigh in once a week NO MATTER WHAT! No hiding or running.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 259.2/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Like others here, I've tried many other diets. I get their programs, why they work (point systems, limited carbs, etc) but never understood how it benefited me and my body. Ideal Protein shows me on a daily basis how easily my body is affected by what I put in it. Weight loss is not a light switch you can turn on and off. Knowing how easily your body can be affected is so beneficial. Like others have said, you just have to find one that works for you. I think everyone on this site has found success with IP and that's why they come back, even if they cheat or struggle in maintence...because they know they can get back to where they want to be.
ems70508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #25  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

This is a great discussion.

I maintained my 83 pound loss for 7 months. After Christmas I realized the scale was up 5 pounds from my preferred goal. That sounds like a small gain, and it is. But I'm terrified of regaining. I see how easy it is to fall back into bad eating patterns. The winter seems harder for me. I loved swimming in the summer, but the gym is a struggle to go to, for me.

Anyway, I understand how you feel, roo. Thanks for sharing that. I know that people are watching me to see if I regain. I, too, want them to let me be! But I guess we took the initial step and made a drastic change, so it's noticeable.

Ishbel, you are always an inspiration to me!

I know that we're all in this together.

I'm doing a reboot to get those 5-6 pounds off now. I'll stay on till the pounds are off. There, I said it. I had said previously that I'd stay on p1 for 2 weeks, but I really want those pounds away so I can wear the skinny jeans I bought - this winter.

Courage and determination for us all!

Have a great day!
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieV View Post
LOVE this! Words to live by
Not my words, I don't know where I saw them but I'm 90% sure someone put them on here. BUT, when I saw them in my original Phase 1, they struck a cord in me and I've never forgot them!

I also love "you don't have to love it, you just have to do it". Which as blunt is that is, made me LAUGH the first time I heard it. A lady who had lost 250 lbs by watching her calories and walking (she was over 500 lbs when she started) did a speech at my TOPS provincial rally. AMAZING lady. Had it on my fridge for MONTHS afterwards.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 250HW/216.4IP/192.6/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:

Being over weight is hard.
Losing weight is hard.
Maintenance is hard.

Choose your hard.
This is so, so true. My mom has lost almost 70 lbs on IP and she is about 35-40 lbs from her goal and she is so, so worried about what she's going to do when she goes off phase 1. I told her the plan has worked thus far so just do the phases and trust the plan. I'm going to share this quote with her.
wosmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 193/162/162

Height: 5' 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957 View Post
I have no idea about the answer to this question as it pertains to a broad spectrum of IP dieters over the long term; but I think everyone struggles with weight gain after dieting, no matter what diet you use to lose.

One thing that I have noticed in the short amount of time that I have been on IP, is I have developed a LOVE/INTEREST in frozen, organic broccoli and rainbow peppers. OMG, they are so good mixed together! And I have hated vegetables my whole life. I think that this one change alone to my day to day diet might help me keep weight off (or at least my weight down) moving ahead.

Also I think that the IP diet has altered my "relationship" with sugar and carbs -- however I have no idea if this latter change will stick long term. I think that deep down I am a "carb addict", so I am guessing my efforts to keep my weight down will be a life long struggle -- and something I will have to expend time and energy focusing on for the rest of my life.

I know for me that I can't think of dieting as just a short term thing I do to reach a goal ... and then go back to my "normal" way of eating. That sort of short-term mindset just doesn't work for me.
I wholeheartedly agree! I keep thinking that once I lose the weight, I can't go back to my old way of eating whatever I feel like. It will be a struggle at times but being healthy is worth it. And as 65 said, I will need to be a 'picky eater'. It'll be up to me! I try not to stress about it but its hard sometimes!
Hawaii69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #29  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon1957 View Post
I have no idea about the answer to this question as it pertains to a broad spectrum of IP dieters over the long term; but I think everyone struggles with weight gain after dieting, no matter what diet you use to lose.

One thing that I have noticed in the short amount of time that I have been on IP, is I have developed a LOVE/INTEREST in frozen, organic broccoli and rainbow peppers. OMG, they are so good mixed together! And I have hated vegetables my whole life. I think that this one change alone to my day to day diet might help me keep weight off (or at least my weight down) moving ahead.

Also I think that the IP diet has altered my "relationship" with sugar and carbs -- however I have no idea if this latter change will stick long term. I think that deep down I am a "carb addict", so I am guessing my efforts to keep my weight down will be a life long struggle -- and something I will have to expend time and energy focusing on for the rest of my life.

I know for me that I can't think of dieting as just a short term thing I do to reach a goal ... and then go back to my "normal" way of eating. That sort of short-term mindset just doesn't work for me.
So true! Thanks everyone for the wonderful posts on this thread. I gained 12 lbs between Thanksgiving & NYs, mostly in the last 2 weeks of the season. When I first began maintenance, I had zero interest in sweets and junk food so it required very little effort to maintain. Then I met the holiday season with too little daylight and too much to do (and enjoy). What a relief to get back on track (P1 for 2-3 weeks), but that 3 day transition into ketosis isn't something I want to have to repeat too often! Good luck everyone.
PS Hope you are enjoying yourself Ishbel
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:43 AM   #30  

Default Phase 4 questions

I have questions about the info I received on phase 4. I am currently transitioning to phase 2.

1. Eat ˝ your weight in grams/protein/day. Ex 140 lbs person eats 70 gms/day. A quick google search says that 1 oz protein = approx 6-8 gms/protein. So on phase 3, eat 8 oz of protein for lunch & dinner. That would be approx 112gm/protein/day. So this is over the 70gm/day in phase 4. (I'm just using this as an example.) Do I then decrease the amt of protein in phase 4?

2. I didn't see any mention of beans, legumes. I have been craving lentils, red kidney beans. I'm assuming that is allowed in phase 4, but why not in phase 1?

3. Fun Day? It says that it is mandatory. "The dieter goes all out and eats whatever they feel like eating" It even mentioned that you may gain up to 7lbs/year. I like the idea of having a family dinner once a week that is really nice w/dessert, but I am befuddled by this.

4. It says that you should have 3 meals and 3 snacks throughout the day Is this correct?

Thanks for the input. I will ask my coach but just wanted some input.
JennRN is offline   Reply With Quote