Old 11-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #1  
IP Start: 05/16/13

S/C/G: 215.8/140.3/145

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Help: Water Retention

Good afternoon all. My coach uses a bodyscan for weigh-ins and we've noticed an increase in water retention over the last few weeks. I am getting to the point where it may be a concern. Admittedly I have been lax in my vitamin taking (remedied over the last 2 days). It may be my TOM (but hard to say because I have an IUD, although I have had tenderness and some cramps a few days ago, no more now).

Curious if anyone has any insight or experience with this? Recommendations? I will say that I feel as though I look really droopy, like the water retention is causing my torso and upper thighs to look really saggy. Perhaps that's mental, but it is bothering me.

Thanks in advance for any help!
sarita75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita75 View Post
Good afternoon all. My coach uses a bodyscan for weigh-ins and we've noticed an increase in water retention over the last few weeks. I am getting to the point where it may be a concern. Admittedly I have been lax in my vitamin taking (remedied over the last 2 days). It may be my TOM (but hard to say because I have an IUD, although I have had tenderness and some cramps a few days ago, no more now).

Curious if anyone has any insight or experience with this? Recommendations? I will say that I feel as though I look really droopy, like the water retention is causing my torso and upper thighs to look really saggy. Perhaps that's mental, but it is bothering me.

Low carb diets can significantly affect the conversion of inactive T4 thyroid hormone to the active T3 form in the liver, leading to a decrease in T3 and sometimes an increase in reverse T3 (a form that essentially acts as an inhibitor of T3 action, so doubly bad). Go and get a complete thyroid panel that includes free T3 and, if possible, reverse T3. If thyroid hormones go down, your sex hormones may also be imbalanced. Together, this may cause water retention. These systems are regulated by leptin, which is obviously altered when insulin signals are low. It does not have to be this, but it is better to check if you are worried.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #3  
Started IP 1/18/12

S/C/G: 186.5/127/130

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita75 View Post

I agree you should get your thyroid checked. Also, have you been eating more of the higher sodium products? Most people don't think twice about sodium content but I have to. My levels were always up if I had a lot of sodium.
Hockeymom40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #4  
IP Start: 05/16/13

S/C/G: 215.8/140.3/145

Height: 5'5"

The only thing that has really changed in the last few weeks is the increased use of Cavender's Greek Seasoning on chicken breasts and increased exercise. I will see if I can turn it around this week and, if not, go get the thyroid checked. Thank you all!
sarita75 is offline   Reply With Quote