Fabulous at Fifty+ .... A home for those of us 50 and older on IP! VOLUME 12

You're on Page 13 of 34
Go to
  • Quote: good for you catlady - best birthday gift you could give yourself - I have to go to a function tonight - my first big test of this program so far - I'm starting week 6 - I'm going to have my supper before I leave and bring an IP bar with me - will move my food around my plate - just tell them I'm not hungry and be proud of myself for sticking to program

we can do this we're worth it

happy birthday to you
    Thanks so much for the encouragement. I am determined to make this work! If I cheat, I'm only cheating myself. Cheating is what got me here. Good luck at your function tonight. I'm going to see my son and some friends this afternoon so I am having my dinner at lunch and bringing a bar, just in case.
  • Quote: There will always be Nachos and spinach dip available. There will not always be a new healthy you if you eat the stuff, so congrats on your control.

You got that right! I will be healthy and happy and in control!
  • Happy Birthday! Isn't it a great feeling to be in control? I celebrated my birthday on the 23rd of February. My teens decided to support me and agreed between them that cake and ice cream was not necessary. We had broiled steak with shrimp and some sauteed spinach and arugula. I went out twice to celebrate with friends and when the birthday desert arrived I gave it to the rest of the table. I have no reqret, which made the celebrations extra nice. I used my IP Chocolate drink mix to make a cake in a bowl (no run off like the mug) topped with a little WF marshmallow. My biggest gift was being healthier and it wasn't worth it to me to mess that up. Doing this program 100% because its working.
  • Quote: Happy Birthday! Isn't it a great feeling to be in control? I celebrated my birthday on the 23rd of February. My teens decided to support me and agreed between them that cake and ice cream was not necessary. We had broiled steak with shrimp and some sauteed spinach and arugula. I went out twice to celebrate with friends and when the birthday desert arrived I gave it to the rest of the table. I have no reqret, which made the celebrations extra nice. I used my IP Chocolate drink mix to make a cake in a bowl (no run off like the mug) topped with a little WF marshmallow. My biggest gift was being healthier and it wasn't worth it to me to mess that up. Doing this program 100% because its working.
    CrimsonKitten - I am so happy to read your words and proud of the steps you are taking to be healthy. As Lisa has said many times, we can ALWAYS find an excuse to go off, and a birthday seems like logical one. But, if we stay OP, then we will be so healthy that we will have MANY more birthdays to celebrate and that is the greatest gift!

I have also discovered that things like a perfectly grilled butterflied shrimp with garlic and oil can be as tantalizingly delicious as sweets. My taste buds have changed and I now crave things like that and roasted cabbage...hum...

So congratulations both on the birthday and on staying 100% OP - the best present you could have given yourself - a whole heaping plate of pride!
  • Quote: Just found this thread and so glad I did. Today is my 55th Birthday and I am on Day 4 of Phase 1. On my home scale down 3 lbs. and very happy about that. I went to a Happy Hour last night with friends for my birthday and had water and celery sticks while everyone else was scarfing down Nachos and spinach dip. I thought it would be harder than it was to say no. I just told myself "I'm not eating that today" and came home and made my dinner. I was quite proud of myself.

Hope everyone is having a Fabulous day!
    Happy Birthday catlady! I am about the same age and size as you. Good for you on your choice! I have gone out for work lunches and to a couple of social events; when people question my choices (which are so out of character from my previous eating habits) I use the response "I'm here for the company." People usually respond positively and the conversation moves one.
  • Quote: Happy Birthday! Isn't it a great feeling to be in control? I celebrated my birthday on the 23rd of February. My teens decided to support me and agreed between them that cake and ice cream was not necessary. We had broiled steak with shrimp and some sauteed spinach and arugula. I went out twice to celebrate with friends and when the birthday desert arrived I gave it to the rest of the table. I have no reqret, which made the celebrations extra nice. I used my IP Chocolate drink mix to make a cake in a bowl (no run off like the mug) topped with a little WF marshmallow. My biggest gift was being healthier and it wasn't worth it to me to mess that up. Doing this program 100% because its working.
    CrimsonKitten: Thanks for the birthday wishes. Happy Birthday to you too! My gift to myself for this birthday is the the IP program. I have already lost 6 pounds and it's only day 6! One of my friends works in a bakery and brought me a chocolate salted caramel cupcake that she made for me because she knew it was one of my favorites. I set it aside saying I was full and would eat it later. I didn't want to hurt her feelings. But I threw it away when I got home.

We can do this!
  • Quote: Happy Birthday catlady! I am about the same age and size as you. Good for you on your choice! I have gone out for work lunches and to a couple of social events; when people question my choices (which are so out of character from my previous eating habits) I use the response "I'm here for the company." People usually respond positively and the conversation moves one.

Love your name! Thanks for the birthday wishes. I like that response. Now if I can just remember it...
  • Can HRT affect losses?
    I take HRT 3 weeks out of each month. Last week was the week I did not take them and I lost 6 lbs and also my first week OP. This week was week 1 for this month of the HRT. The scale has not moved since last Sunday. Measurements show minimal losses (less than an 1/8") in some places and nothing in others. But the up side is that I haven't gained anything either. I have been 100% OP. Does anyone know if HRT can affect loss? Or maybe this has nothing to do with it?

Also, watched the video about Ketosis. Bought the Ketostix and they show I am NOT in ketosis. How is that possible? I am at day 12.
  • Quote: I guess what I'm really asking is do I have to eat my dinner etc at one sitting or can I eat some now and a bit later?

thanks
    I was told when I was going to a coach that your meal had to be eaten at one sitting and not broken up throughout the day but...he was a crappy coach and he could've been wrong.
  • Quote:
    Quote:

Originally Posted by maureen kempster

I guess what I'm really asking is do I have to eat my dinner etc at one sitting or can I eat some now and a bit later?

thanks

I was told when I was going to a coach that your meal had to be eaten at one sitting and not broken up throughout the day but...he was a crappy coach and he could've been wrong.
    Lurker - two months from my 50th - but wanted to chime in on this question. I am a natural grazer and my coach was very explicit about eating meals within 30-45 minute time period. She said we need to be sure our "tanks" get to empty so we the body is burning from the fat tank and not nibbling at carb/sugar.

She did say I could break up my dinner protein and have some at lunch or breakfast.
  • Hello all,
    I've been checking out the Daily Chat but first time on this thread.
    I've lost about 27 pounds and my skin is getting crepey, creepy, that old lady thing.
    Suggestions? Is the something I need to live with? I've been putting on skin lotion. Can't hurt I guess.

I am just starting P2 and want to lose another 5-8 pounds.
  • Quote: Hello all,
    I've been checking out the Daily Chat but first time on this thread.
    I've lost about 27 pounds and my skin is getting crepey, creepy, that old lady thing.
    Suggestions? Is the something I need to live with? I've been putting on skin lotion. Can't hurt I guess.

I am just starting P2 and want to lose another 5-8 pounds.
    I was just at the dermotologist getting some small spots looked at (had a couple frozen off). My over-50 skin is certainly not as young as it used to be and after losing over 90 lbs...<sigh>

Derm said there's nothing you can do. I have hanging skin. Live with it or surgery. Nothing topical (nor the collagen IP promises) will really help. From the mouth of the expert, thru me, to you.

I figure it is STILL better than being fat!
  • I can live with old lady skin
    Quote: ...I figure it is STILL better than being fat!
    You are so right.

I started P2 today, got my chicken and mashed cauli packed for lunch.

Biggest thing is that I've been working the Beck book that so many of you have recommended. I realized that I've been eating at scheduled time, not because I was really hungry. Because I start work at 6, my lunch break is at 10. And I ate lunch because it was 10, not because I was hungry. So then I have my snack in early afternoon.

I let my co-workers know that I'll take my break at 10 but will eat later, when I get hungry. I do phone support so can eat at desk while working. Just can't be chomping on celery when on call with customer.
  • I agree with Lisa - I'll take a little loose skin over being fat any day!

That said, a friend of mine gave me some lotion that is supposed to help with saggy skin after I complained about my neck. I don't remember the name of it off-hand but will look when I'm at home. It seems to help and I figure it can't hurt!
  • For whatever it is worth, Dr. Oz spoke about the subject of crepey skin (particularly around the neck and jaw). I am not normally a great fan of his but was home sick with the flu.

He had an expert dermatologist who spoke about serums made with copper peptides. I include the link here with no judgment, just possible information.

http://www.tvshowupdate.com/dr-oz-co...izer-peptides/