Old 09-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 249.4/180/WhenIFeelSexyNaked

Height: 5'eff all

Default Don't settle

Don't settle for crappy coaching

For those of us going to a clinic - we are paying big bucks and coaching is supposed to be part of that fee

I went to the first clinic I heard of - knowing what I know now I would have visited them all and then made a decision

My coach was no more than a glorified cashier - there was no bond - there was no interest in my journey on her part - took her at least 5 weeks before she remembered my name - h*ll last week someone else weighed me (which I dont mind) but when taking my 90 bucks - she didnt even ask how I did
not once did anyone ask to look at my journal
I am an adult and dont think i need to be babied - but for AT LEAST the first two weeks I would have thought they would have looked at it to make sure I was heading in the right direction...

So after a few weeks of frustration I decided to call around
I called one place and talked to the lady there - she didnt seem very keen on accepting me to her clinic - but made me an appointment anyways
I felt uncomfortable after talking to her and cancelled it and decided to pull up my panties and accept that maybe it is just the way its going to be and I would find my motivation and support from my friends and family (and this board!)

This week some DIVINE intervention took me to do a photo shoot for a magazine at yet another clinic in the city
I tell you I walked in there and felt like I was home - no other way to describe it

The owner started to explain IP and her vision of what she wanted the article to be (about sucess with ip and not "her") - I mentioned that I was on it - and when she asked me what clinic I was at - I must have had some HORRIFIC expression on my face because she actually came over and gave me a hug

Well I spent two hours there hanging out with them and it felt like I was out for coffee with a group of girlfriends - I also paid attention on how they were with the other clients and the atmosphere in there was SO much more positive - people were smiling - they had nicknames for each other etc
So down to earth and REAL

Next day was my weigh in and I made the decision to fire my coach - I wanted my measurements so went back one last time - paid my 90 bucks - told her I needed to copy my stats for an app (ok I am kind of a coward) and rather than photocopy it for me she stood there like a slug while I copied 8 weeks of weigh ins and measurements onto a piece of paper - oh and I hit the 30lb mark (milestone? I think so) and she didnt even add up my pounds lost for the week - this just helped solidify it

I jumped in my car and headed to my NEW clinic - I needed some vitamins and bbq sauce etc and did not want to give that clinic another dime
They re-weighed - re-measured me and I felt they were truly excited to see me again - I actually got signed up for and got my first iptv (heard a diff excuse each week from the old place on why it never worked for me)

We hear of so many bad coaches out there - and I just want to say that we shouldnt be settling for sh*tty coaching - THERE ARE GOOD COACHES OUT THERE

We pay good money that we work hard for - and for some of us it is a HUGE expense (but well worth it) and really - they are working for us - so why do we settle?

If you are unhappy and have the luxury of more than one option in your city/town - pop in to some of these places - even pretend like you are a new client if you feel weird about it - when you walk in to the right one
you will know

I have gained a new enthusiasm and know that this group of ladies will be there to celebrate with me - and give me a kick in the a$$ (and laugh about it) when I need it

My whole point to this rant/story is - we would be fired if we werent doing our jobs - so dont be afraid to get out there and find one of the good ones!

We are in control of our eating our lives and this journey - so make it a fun one!!

Last edited by saskgirl; 09-20-2013 at 12:39 AM.
saskgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:03 AM   #2  
Reboot 10/24/15 - Age 49

S/C/G: 217.5/202.3/155

Height: 5'7"

Really great post, thank you!
Tuscany123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #3  

lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #4  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Excellent post - so glad you found a good clinic!

(although I read the first sentence as "don't settle for crappy cooking" and immediately thought "oh, something to show dh!" That's what I get for reading so early in the morning)

Last edited by Ruth Ann; 09-20-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

I suggest sending your post to Corporate to let them know they have a clinic that is very unsupportive and just plain bad for business. Be sure to tell them the name of the clinic and who your coach was. They have told me in the past that they wanted people to let them know of any problem clinics so they can help the clinics to improve. If we don't tell Corporate, there is no way for them to know what is going on.

I'm so glad you found a good clinic. Having a great coach makes all the difference in the world!
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskgirl View Post

For those of us going to a clinic - we are paying big bucks and coaching is supposed to be part of that fee

We pay good money that we work hard for - and for some of us it is a HUGE expense (but well worth it) and really - they are working for us - so why do we settle?

If you are unhappy and have the luxury of more than one option in your city/town - pop in to some of these places - even pretend like you are a new client if you feel weird about it - when you walk in to the right one
you will know

I have gained a new enthusiasm and know that this group of ladies will be there to celebrate with me - and give me a kick in the a$$ (and laugh about it) when I need it

My whole point to this rant/story is - we would be fired if we werent doing our jobs - so dont be afraid to get out there and find one of the good ones!

We are in control of our eating our lives and this journey - so make it a fun one!!

LOVE THIS!
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #7  
IP start date 8/1/2013

S/C/G: 195/138.6/130

Height: 4'10

Okay 1st I love your avatar. 2nd great post!

Question: there are clinics that charge you for each coaching visit? I only pay for my food when I go in and once a month I pay $20 for the use of the body measurement thingy (the one that measures your BMI and hydration levels)

That clinic was ripping you off and way to stand up for your health!
nolasmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #8  
Started IP 6/14/2013

S/C/G: 205/195/140

Height: 5'8"

agreed! having that support is sooo helpful! i think that's part of the reason weight watchers is so successful... not because you can eat unlimited fruit, but because these people have someone listening to them and nudging them in the right direction. the ip coach is supposed to do that! kudos to you for finding one that supports you.
floridasunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #9  
IP Start Date 8.15.13

S/C/G: 346/started IP @ 311/266/169

Height: 5'9"

I love this as well - I have the exact same kind of coaching - however the next clinic is over 90 miles away. Heck, the one I go to is about 40 miles away from me. I am in an IP clinic desert.

So, I am reading and learning and trying to figure it out for myself. This board has been invaluable, I might have quit without it. I know that I ask weird questions and everyone is so patient and willing to answer them. THANK YOU!
clbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #10  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Such a great post! I'm not on IP, but I started reading and thought... this applies to SO MANY things in life! Thank you for the reminder and best of luck with your weight loss! SO glad to hear you found a clinic where you feel comfortable and supported!
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #11  
support, not criticism

S/C/G: 219/187.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Great post!

I agree, it is important to find somewhere you feel comfortable and supported. When you want to lose weight, it's so easy to jump at the first clinic you find in your enthusiasm to get started.

Unfortunately, there is only one clinic where I am. It's not bad and they are friendly. I paid an up front fee at the first visit and then you don't pay after that. But if I had to pay $90 per week, I would definitely feel ripped off. I've gained so much more from this board and my own internet research than I have from my clinic. At some point, I feel like I will quit my clinic and go on my own (probably when I feel I've gotten my value for the $299 I paid up front!).

Anyways, very inspiring post!!
shannonhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I had no idea some people paid per session plus the cost of food! I'm feeling very blessed to have paid a one-time fee up-front and the cost of food. Plus, they are VERY supportive!

OP, I'm so glad you found a good clinic!
zephyr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 249.4/180/WhenIFeelSexyNaked

Height: 5'eff all

Oh sorry - that wasnt very clear
I never paid an extra fee for the "coaching" other than the inital 200 bucks where it was said it goes toward the weekly coaching

Plus the coaches get commission every time I buy food from them (my $90) so anyone that goes to a clinic - the money they spend on food benefits the "coach"

Thanks for all the positive responses

Last edited by saskgirl; 09-20-2013 at 12:48 PM.
saskgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: Restart: 233/ 214/ 170

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskgirl View Post

I went to the first clinic I heard of - knowing what I know now I would have visited them all and then made a decision

My coach was no more than a glorified cashier - there was no bond - there was no interest in my journey on her part - took her at least 5 weeks before she remembered my name - h*ll last week someone else weighed me (which I dont mind) but when taking my 90 bucks - she didnt even ask how I did
not once did anyone ask to look at my journal
I am an adult and dont think i need to be babied - but for AT LEAST the first two weeks I would have thought they would have looked at it to make sure I was heading in the right direction...

So after a few weeks of frustration I decided to call around
I called one place and talked to the lady there - she didnt seem very keen on accepting me to her clinic - but made me an appointment anyways
I felt uncomfortable after talking to her and cancelled it and decided to pull up my panties and accept that maybe it is just the way its going to be and I would find my motivation and support from my friends and family (and this board!)

This week some DIVINE intervention took me to do a photo shoot for a magazine at yet another clinic in the city
I tell you I walked in there and felt like I was home - no other way to describe it

The owner started to explain IP and her vision of what she wanted the article to be (about sucess with ip and not "her") - I mentioned that I was on it - and when she asked me what clinic I was at - I must have had some HORRIFIC expression on my face because she actually came over and gave me a hug

Well I spent two hours there hanging out with them and it felt like I was out for coffee with a group of girlfriends - I also paid attention on how they were with the other clients and the atmosphere in there was SO much more positive - people were smiling - they had nicknames for each other etc
So down to earth and REAL

Next day was my weigh in and I made the decision to fire my coach - I wanted my measurements so went back one last time - paid my 90 bucks - told her I needed to copy my stats for an app (ok I am kind of a coward) and rather than photocopy it for me she stood there like a slug while I copied 8 weeks of weigh ins and measurements onto a piece of paper - oh and I hit the 30lb mark (milestone? I think so) and she didnt even add up my pounds lost for the week - this just helped solidify it

I jumped in my car and headed to my NEW clinic - I needed some vitamins and bbq sauce etc and did not want to give that clinic another dime
They re-weighed - re-measured me and I felt they were truly excited to see me again - I actually got signed up for and got my first iptv (heard a diff excuse each week from the old place on why it never worked for me)

We hear of so many bad coaches out there - and I just want to say that we shouldnt be settling for sh*tty coaching - THERE ARE GOOD COACHES OUT THERE

you will know

My coach in North Carolina is exactly what you are describing! I'm so glad you found some real support.
Figgypudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #15  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I'm with belovedspirit- Not on IP but your post rings true for many things in life. Thanks so much for your amazing post! Cheers.

I've always gotten a little sad and upset whenever I read a bad coach thread, so definitely happy for you that you found a clinic that you love!!!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote