3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Weekend Chat Saturday 8/17 - Sunday 8/18/2013 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/286361-ip-weekend-chat-saturday-8-17-sunday-8-18-2013-a.html)

CrystalWolf 08-18-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie_Bee (Post 4819094)
Happy Sunday, everyone!

I am down 13.6 lbs as of this morning and DH is down 16.8 lbs! We are very happy! :)

I am hoping to add another cheerleader to my signature by next weekend. I have been thinking a lot about the future and never going up over 200 lbs again. I am considering reaching my goal, maintaining for a bit and then going back on IP after Christmas holidays for a new goal of 140 lbs. I am also considering staying mostly gluten-free for life (except for maybe the odd birthday cake here and there). I was already lactose-free before as I am lactose intolerant since childhood.

I love the dill pickle zippers too!

Congrats to you and your DH. I have the same thoughts for myself as far as maybe trying for ten more in January. I want to see how I look and feel maintaining in the 155 range. I won't be able to afford IP products in Jan with hubby home from deployment but I feel confident I can do it with alternatives then. I am working my way through Dr. Trahn's book and he says we should have a reboot after the holidays every year anyway.

trishthayer 08-18-2013 11:44 AM

So I am so confused. I have made muffins, Lisa's recepie 3 times and all 3 times that are dough in the middle. Do you make a regular pudding first with the same amount of water as usual? Do you whip the egg whites? I am messing this up somehow, lol!!!
Thanks in advance for the help!

PurpleMomster 08-18-2013 11:53 AM

Good morning! Made it through the holiday laundry mountain yesterday - woohoo! We're supposed to be having a bunch of people over this afternoon for a pool party and barbecue but are currently in the middle of a wicked thunderstorm - fingers and toes crossed that it blow over quickly with no damage.

I'm only 8 weeks in but I can see how I can make some major lifestyle/eating habit changes after I get to where I want to be. Even now, I read labels all the time and am shocked/surprised at how much sugar is in everything, even foods I would never have imagined. I find that it is more work but I enjoy cooking food that is fresh and I hope that by continuing with that, my son will also pick up some good eating habits. He even comments now on foods that he thinks I could have while in P1! I know that I won't be able to go back to eating the way I was before starting IP, that's what got me into this mess in the first place.

Happy Sunday all!

Jo

Susie_Bee 08-18-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65X65 (Post 4819107)
Susie...congrats!

As for the GF thing...it really should make lifestyle changes easy after this diet. I have been GF for over 7 years now, and although that was only half the equation for me (hidden sugar and metabolic inability to use carbs for anything other than FAT...was the other piece) ...I think it's going to be easy to adapt pretty much to a Paleo type eating style from this day forward. Gluten ...? Really don't miss it! Good luck to you

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4819112)
Wow! thise are big ol first weeks!

I went GF and soy free in January.
There is gluten in several IP items. Anything with wheat.
I feel way better since I did it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrystalWolf (Post 4819113)
Congrats to you and your DH. I have the same thoughts for myself as far as maybe trying for ten more in January. I want to see how I look and feel maintaining in the 155 range. I won't be able to afford IP products in Jan with hubby home from deployment but I feel confident I can do it with alternatives then. I am working my way through Dr. Trahn's book and he says we should have a reboot after the holidays every year anyway.

Thank you so much, everyone!

Yes, Paleo... I guess that's what that is, isn't it. Hmm..

I think a reboot will be in order for me after every major holiday (including mid-September right after our wedding anniversary and birthdays - my hubby's bday is 8 days before mine)! ...and really, it's not usually that hard to do a phase I during a typical work week. Unless, of course, you tell someone at the office, then they will try to sabotage you for sure!

This time around is more "real" for me than last time (for lack of a better word). I think having done it and then failing and having to start over again is really forcing me to rethink my life. I thought maintenance was going to be a breeze and guess what? It wasn't. It was an epic fail and in all of this was a major lesson for me on this journey. When I thought the journey was over, it really was not... it was not quite the beginning but who would have thought there was still such a long way to go! There is much more to this "battle of the bulge" than I ever realized. I hope that when I reach goal this time, I will be at least halfway there!

Aydubs 08-18-2013 12:25 PM

For Starbucks Fans...

I had to share this....I ordered a "double shot of iced espresso in a venti cup" from Starbucks this morning and poured a IP pre-made vanilla shake in and mixed it....SOOOOO GOOD!!!!!:D I'll be drinking LOTS of water today to make up for it, but totally worth it!

Aydubs 08-18-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trishthayer (Post 4819120)
So I am so confused. I have made muffins, Lisa's recepie 3 times and all 3 times that are dough in the middle. Do you make a regular pudding first with the same amount of water as usual? Do you whip the egg whites? I am messing this up somehow, lol!!!

I have not had luck with Lisa's potato rolls either. They come out VERY rubbery. I think I must be doing something wrong or maybe my baking powder is too old:^:

lisa32989 08-18-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trishthayer (Post 4819120)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aydubs (Post 4819144)
I have not had luck with Lisa's potato rolls either. They come out VERY rubbery. I think I must be doing something wrong or maybe my baking powder is too old:^:

If they are doughy in the middle, cook them longer. Mine were a few times, too. Every oven is different (or in my case, even the SPACES in the oven are different). I do not mix pudding with water first. I do whip the egg whites a bit, but not until they peak.

RE: rubbery.
This is because they are made with protein powder. They won't be exactly like a muffin made from flour. Mine aren't VERY rubbery but the texture is definitely different than a carb-laden muffin. The zucchini helps immensely. When I first started, people were posting the recipes with no zucchini. I didn't like the texture AT ALL.

lisa32989 08-18-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susie_Bee (Post 4819094)
I have been thinking a lot about the future and never going up over 200 lbs again. I am considering reaching my goal, maintaining for a bit and then going back on IP after Christmas holidays for a new goal of 140 lbs. I am also considering staying mostly gluten-free for life (except for maybe the odd birthday cake here and there). I was already lactose-free before as I am lactose intolerant since childhood.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrystalWolf (Post 4819113)
I have the same thoughts for myself as far as maybe trying for ten more in January. I want to see how I look and feel maintaining in the 155 range. I won't be able to afford IP products in Jan with hubby home from deployment but I feel confident I can do it with alternatives then. I am working my way through Dr. Trahn's book and he says we should have a reboot after the holidays every year anyway.

I will be starting Phase 3 on Halloween. I HOPE I am at goal by then but if I am not, I will certainly be back on P1 in January.

My thyroid has taken quite a hit on IP and I won't be staying on P1 for more than 12 weeks without a break again.

My hope is to get to normal BMI by Halloween, follow maintenance through the holidays and come back in January to get to 140. I'll assess at that point how I look/feel and how my skin is looking. I may need to have surgery to remove the apron skin in my lower abdomen but I would maintain normal BMI for at least a year first.

It is never too early to begin planning for maintenance. I've seen people here who "can't wait" to have their favorite treat & it seems like over & over again I see them back for a pretty major reboot. I've learned through this process how much I can live without, how much I can make adequate substitutes for, and how much many of my favorites just cause me to want more. If a food causes cravings for me, it can no longer be a part of my life. I cannot afford uncontrollable cravings anymore. For me to be in charge of them, I need to eliminate them.

I lost 100 lbs about 10 years ago on Atkins. I did not have a maintenance plan. My "before" pic shows you what happened. I plan my food every day on P1. I planned it when I phased off over the summer and I'll continue to plan it. And I'm already planning what will happen in maintenance so that I will be able to maintain this weight loss.

trishthayer 08-18-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4819156)
If they are doughy in the middle, cook them longer. Mine were a few times, too. Every oven is different (or in my case, even the SPACES in the oven are different). I do not mix pudding with water first. I do whip the egg whites a bit, but not until they peak.

RE: rubbery.
This is because they are made with protein powder. They won't be exactly like a muffin made from flour. Mine aren't VERY rubbery but the texture is definitely different than a carb-laden muffin. The zucchini helps immensely. When I first started, people were posting the recipes with no zucchini. I didn't like the texture AT ALL.

Thanks Lisa I was NOT doing it right at all. I am going to try again today, thanks for the info!!

silverfighter 08-18-2013 01:14 PM

Has anyone tried spinach in fruit-flavored protein shakes like the Syntax Nectar apple or crystal sky? If so, does it work as well as I am hearing it does in chocolate?

coloradogirl 08-18-2013 01:24 PM

Good morning everyone! Well my dear fiance worked overnight last night and he's got his fantasy football draft this evening so I'm pretty much on my own today. Just got done planting some new flowers on one side of the yard, pulled 3 large trash bags worth of weeds from the other side (I let it get pretty bad). I think next weekend I will put some perennials in on the other side (after pay day!:p) I came in so weak and sore I immediately took a shower and ate my restricted for the day :cry: I may end up taking a nap.

Also: Since I started IP I have found two gray hairs! I'm 23! What do you guys think... is it IP or am I really already going gray?! Maybe it's the wedding planning :dizzy:

Also, also: I am finally starting to experience this obsession that IPers often get with cleaning/organizing. Anybody know WHY keto does this to us??? Maybe we just feel like since we are taking care of ourselves we should also take care of our environment?

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday! :hug::hug::hug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverfighter (Post 4819174)
Has anyone tried spinach in fruit-flavored protein shakes like the Syntax Nectar apple or crystal sky? If so, does it work as well as I am hearing it does in chocolate?

I tried mine with the IP rasberry jelly once... YUCK!!!!! I haven't tried any other ones though, I hope someone else can help!:^:

Aydubs 08-18-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4819159)
My thyroid has taken quite a hit on IP and I won't be staying on P1 for more than 12 weeks without a break again.

Thanks Lisa! I am also on thyroid meds (levothyroxin, AKA Synthroid). What impact does Phase 1 have on the thyroid?

SylviaK 08-18-2013 01:47 PM

I just finished my first week and lost 4 lbs., pleased because I had some medical issues and meds to take, so 4 is good.

BLUEJEWEL 08-18-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4819159)
I will be starting Phase 3 on Halloween. I HOPE I am at goal by then but if I am not, I will certainly be back on P1 in January.

Lisa, what happened to your thyroid? I am on levoxyl, curious what you experienced, if you don't Mind sharing.

Gr8by48 08-18-2013 02:19 PM

Happy Sunday all! I made it through day 2 eating totally clean, and the scale dropped 2 lbs this morning -- is that possible? And yes, I am an every day weigher! When I am following a plan, no matter what plan it is, I weight every day and then take an average. This is something that I learned from the Heller's books many years ago. I truly think it gives a better reflection of what is going on with my body. I know that some ppl can't handle getting on the scale every day, but I am OK with it, and it actually keeps me OP.

Today will be kind of a lazy day around here. May do a mini food shopping, but mostly just gonna enjoy my family today! I took tomorrow off, and we may go to the beach. I need to think about eating challenges I will face if we do that.

:coffee:

dak1lls 08-18-2013 02:36 PM

Was so excited to get on the boat today, weather is supposed to be hot, mid 90's. Now getting cloudy with thunderstorms forecast. Bummer. :-( waiting to see if things improve. Otherwise, maybe I'll finish sorting through my closet and weeding out the clothes that no longer fit.

Coloradogirl: i weeded at my son's house yesterday. Not fun, but I'm sure he will appreciate it when he gets home.

lisa32989 08-18-2013 02:41 PM

Thyroid

To answer questions about thyroid, very low carb diets are notoriously hard on thyroid. Hopefully Lolo70 will jump in and explain. She does it much more eloquently than I (I have to look up the reasons each time...seems she has committed it to memory)

I developed hypothyroid AFTER starting on IP. I gave up both soy and gluten in January & had quite the hissy fit about giving up my favorite IP products. Now when they talk about discontinuing items and people get upset, I just kind of chuckle. We really CAN live without our favorites...

Anyway...

Here are some threads for more info (I can't find the ones with Lolo70's eloquent explanations)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...2-thyroid.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...roid-test.html

Art3mis 08-18-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coloradogirl (Post 4819180)
Good morning everyone! Well my dear fiance worked overnight last night and he's got his fantasy football draft this evening so I'm pretty much on my own today. Just got done planting some new flowers on one side of the yard, pulled 3 large trash bags worth of weeds from the other side (I let it get pretty bad). I think next weekend I will put some perennials in on the other side (after pay day!:p) I came in so weak and sore I immediately took a shower and ate my restricted for the day :cry: I may end up taking a nap.

Also: Since I started IP I have found two gray hairs! I'm 23! What do you guys think... is it IP or am I really already going gray?! Maybe it's the wedding planning :dizzy:

Also, also: I am finally starting to experience this obsession that IPers often get with cleaning/organizing. Anybody know WHY keto does this to us??? Maybe we just feel like since we are taking care of ourselves we should also take care of our environment?
Hope everyone is having a wonderful Sunday! :hug::hug::hug:
:

I've been grey since i was 16 y/o...and fully at about 18...so its just luck of the draw on genes i think :(...

I dunno why we wanna clean so much...i've always been sort of a neat freak but not..its OVER THE TOP...could be just i have energy to burn so might as well do something productive. :D..yesterday i started packing and cleaning for a move that's not to happen till mid next year lol

as for my wedding plans...i can't even stomach thinking about it lol

FrostyBobber 08-18-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Made potatoe rolls today for the first time and they turned out great! Smelled heavenly..

This is the recipe I used..not sure if its the one you are talking about..

1 pkg IP Potatoes
1 egg (beaten until frothy)
1 tsp baking powder

'I can't believe its not butter spray'

Preheat oven to 395

Beat egg then add potatoe mix, then baking powder. Mix well. Batter is kinda think and sticky. Spray cupcake pan w/ olive oil. (I only used 3 cups in the pan) Spoon batter into cupcake pan. Spray top of each 'roll' with 'butter' spray. (At this point they look like biscuits) Bake 7 to 12 min. Don't over cook. (Can add additional spices to batter)

They are light and fluffy... I am saving them for supper tonight with my steak and slicing it to make 3 slider sized sandwiches.. My tummy is growling just thinking of it! :)

brelo 08-18-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SylviaK (Post 4819196)
I just finished my first week and lost 4 lbs., pleased because I had some medical issues and meds to take, so 4 is good.

Congratulations on 4 pounds lost, and welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellamack (Post 4819047)
The dill pickle zippers are my FAVORITE, but now doing alternatives so can't get them :(

There actually is a dill pickle zipper alternative. I tried it once and it was good but to me it wasn't quite as tangy as IP. However it looks almost identical. I do believe I found it at Nashua Nutrition. I can't remember the exact name of the product but I bought it as an individual packet. Good luck!

Lj14 08-18-2013 05:25 PM

Day 3 here - so far so good! Just made a cauliflower tortilla with a little egg white - topped off with bell pepper, onion, fresh basil, fresh cilantro and salt & pepper. Haven't felt deprived yet and loving the simplicity. I had the maple oatmeal for lunch today with a plate of cucumbers. I'm in the honeymoon phase but feel this is a wonderful straightforward plan. Love reading all the recipes - the ideas in my head are endless! Thanks to all for sharing!

Annik 08-18-2013 05:41 PM

Lj14,

I have been on the plan for 12 weeks now and am still in love with it. I find myself really thinking about how this will become/is becoming my new life long way of nutrition.

Welcome along!

Annik

SweetScrumptious 08-18-2013 05:43 PM

My period just started today and my 1st WI is tomorrow... Ugh!

Art3mis 08-18-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lj14 (Post 4819337)
Day 3 here - so far so good! Just made a cauliflower tortilla with a little egg white - topped off with bell pepper, onion, fresh basil, fresh cilantro and salt & pepper. Haven't felt deprived yet and loving the simplicity. I had the maple oatmeal for lunch today with a plate of cucumbers. I'm in the honeymoon phase........!

Welcome :D and yes the simplicity of this plan makes it something i've been able to follow without issue...it will be something i know i can continue long after i phase out too. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annik (Post 4819347)
Lj14,

I have been on the plan for 12 weeks now and am still in love with it. I find myself really thinking about how this will become/is becoming my new life long way of nutrition.

AMEN! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetScrumptious (Post 4819348)
My period just started today and my 1st WI is tomorrow... Ugh!

Well..at least if you haven't had super outstanding losses at least you know why right?! always gotta find that silver lining :D

Gr8by48 08-18-2013 06:20 PM

Lj14 -- we are on the same track! This is day 3 for me, we are almost exactly the same stats! Here's wishing us both success on this journey! If you want a "buddy" to keep in contact via PM, once we are allowed the PM feature, I would be willing to hook up!

trishthayer 08-18-2013 09:02 PM

Lisa, I made the zucchini muffins again tonight and I followed your earlier suggestions. And.....GREAT!!!! So fun and good!!! Glad I asked the question. Thanks again Lisa.

Hope everyone else had a great OP weekend!

dak1lls 08-18-2013 09:15 PM

Weather cooperated and we were able to get out on the boat today! Came home and made tacos (homemade taco seasoning recipe I found online) in lettuce wraps. DH and son really liked them, as did I! This will definitely be a repeat meal. Anxious to WI tomorrow. This week I feel like losses have slowed a bit, but not concerned, just curious. I definitely feel smaller and more people are commenting now. Feels good!

Kootenay Grandma 08-18-2013 09:48 PM

New to Ideal Protein

Hi there have just started my ideal protein a week ago and am loving it so far. I have already lost 10.5 lbs. I do have a couple of questions.....
I was a little concerned with the cost of ideal so a friend of mine told me to buy Lindora, I did and am now kind of freaking. I have read some people say it basically is the same just watch carbs and other ingred and then other posts have said lindora has a lot more hidden ingredients? Any truth to that????
My next question is Mio is my new best friend but I saw some people say limit it to 2 times a day....any feelings on that..

Thanks everyone and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through your post you are all inspirations.

Annik 08-18-2013 10:11 PM

Hi Kootenay Grandma!

People's experience with Mio seems to vary. Some people say they are fine with it even more than 2 times a day. Others (like me) notice that when using it, weight loss seems to slow.

I don't think Mio is technically on programme but general feeling seems to be that if it helps and is not hurting, then many people use it.

Because of my limitations with Mio, I drink sparkling mineral water (San Pellegrino and Gerolsteiner are my two favs!) To this I add some stevia and some True Lemon. To do the mixing, I pour a bit of the water into a measuring cup and add the stevia and lemon there. I mix, let it fizz up and then slowly add back to the bottle. Adding it in too fast will cause the bottle to overflow because of the fast fizzing.

Hope this helps!

Annik

Kootenay Grandma 08-18-2013 10:18 PM

Thanks so much Annik have you heard anything about Lindora??

Art3mis 08-18-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kootenay Grandma (Post 4819527)
Thanks so much Annik have you heard anything about Lindora??

i've never heard about it, is it a type of food or a different program all together from IP?

Annik 08-18-2013 10:22 PM

Kootenay Grandma,

Re: Lindora

Yes, I have but not enough to be confident to write about it.

Lots of people here are familiar with and are using alternatives. Somebody will chime in with valuable information.

There is an alternatives thread. I will see if I can find it for you if somebody doesn't post it for you first.

Kootenay Grandma 08-18-2013 10:22 PM

Art3mis
It is very similar to ideal but just comes out of the US and the food is half the price....

Annik 08-18-2013 10:26 PM

Here are some of the Alternative Threads. You'll have to scroll through to see if there is something about Lindora. (I can never get the search feature to work very well.)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...s-vol-1-a.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...phase-1-a.html

Art3mis 08-18-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kootenay Grandma (Post 4819532)
Art3mis
It is very similar to ideal but just comes out of the US and the food is half the price....

yah looking at their site right now :D wish i could be more help, hope you find the information you are looking for ..

lisa32989 08-18-2013 10:29 PM

Lindora is one of the websites, like Nashua Nutrition, where alts can be found. I have found better prices at Nashua & Netrition.

Kootenay Grandma 08-18-2013 11:49 PM

Thanks so much Lisa32989 I feel much better having found the comparison with lindora and ideal....they are quite similar. When I see your great accomplishment you give me strength :)

thecircleguru 08-19-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

I had the same problem with the recipe. Mine were "squeaky"... Not kidding! :D