Old 08-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #1  
IP start date: 2/8/2013

S/C/G: 230/207/160

Height: 5'2

Default Alternative Phase I

Anyone doing the alternative phase I, for diabetics? What kind of loss can be expected with this method? If one is finding it too hard to be on regular IP...is this a good plan B?
jmanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanovich View Post
Anyone doing the alternative phase I, for diabetics? What kind of loss can be expected with this method? If one is finding it too hard to be on regular IP...is this a good plan B?
Have you tried searching for it - I know there have been some discussions on it, though not a lot. I am pretty sure that the losses are a bit slower from what I have read.

What about the regular IP protocol are you struggling with? Perhaps there are some additional suggestions we can make to help you with it. Let us know what help/ideas/feedback might you need?
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #3  

Here is the thread that was already existing

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...phase-1-a.html

There was also this one
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-protocol.html

And this one
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...tive-food.html

And this one
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-protocol.html

And this
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...se-1-plan.html

I hope you can find the info you are looking for!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #4  

Oh just the entire plan in general! Haha! But no today I was hungry. I was at work and I had an extra egg, some snap peas (which are occasional right?) and a few slices of lean deli meat. All no nos, I know but I just was so hungry! I find I just always "cheat" between meals. And still crave the carbs. And I have also choked down so many things I didn't like this week. Just depressing. I lost 8lbs my first week- but now 5 days til my next weigh in and the scale is showing I have gained 4 back. I just am having a bad day I guess. Then I made the crispy cereal pancake tonight for my snack- i put too much nutmeg and it had a funny taste. Ugh! Now I almost feel sick to my stomach/hungry. Not fun at all today!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #5  

Can someone please go over with me what exactly I can have between meals? Other than the IP snack I mean.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #6  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Height: 5'9"

My coach had me do the diabetic program for 2 weeks due to a medication I was on. I lost 10 lbs the first week and 4 the second. So I'd say the diabetic version is effective. I don't know much about alternatives though.

Side note: after only 2 weeks on program I'm already phasing off the medication under doctors supervision of course.
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #7  

Quote:
Oh just the entire plan in general! Haha! But no today I was hungry. I was at work and I had an extra egg, some snap peas (which are occasional right?) and a few slices of lean deli meat. All no nos, I know but I just was so hungry! I find I just always "cheat" between meals. And still crave the carbs. And I have also choked down so many things I didn't like this week. Just depressing. I lost 8lbs my first week- but now 5 days til my next weigh in and the scale is showing I have gained 4 back. I just am having a bad day I guess. Then I made the crispy cereal pancake tonight for my snack- i put too much nutmeg and it had a funny taste. Ugh! Now I almost feel sick to my stomach/hungry. Not fun at all today!
So sorry you are having a bad day!

So if I read it right you are only a few days into your second week. Do you think over your 10 days or so you have had (or cheated with) extra carbs?

I ask because they can throw you out of Ketosis OR it's possible you haven't yet gotten into Ketosis. That usually happens over the first 3-4 days which is why so many people feel both awful (flu-like, achy and even nauseous) and why you would feel soooo HUNGRY! Once you can set your mind to tough it out for those days, you will break through the awfulness and start feeling MUCH better!

Ketosis also calms your hunger - for some people so much so that they have to force down all the required food (though that is a very foreign concept to me!)

Every time you cheat and it throws you out of Ketosis, you will likely go through the symptoms again! (Read the thread The REAL Price of Cheating - Lisa will link for you I bet &#128522

You had a GREAT start w/8 lb loss! You could be up in weight due to excess salt (deli meat is notorious for salt), and because the body naturally goes up and down day to day, hour to hour as much as 4-5 lbs!!! (Hard to believe, I know).

Did your coach give you the word that you can have an extra packet each day in your first couple weeks if needed? (And depending on starting weight, some people are supposed to continue w/that.)

When REALLY hungry, have some lettuce salad w/lemon or WF if you find some you like. A hard boiled egg or a pickle ... And for many people having a hot drink really helps with hunger (decaf tea or even 0/0/0 broth is great!)

I am a carb-craver too so I really enjoy using the savory/crunchy restricteds to help with that.

And by the way, very shortly your tastes will change and things you can't stand now will taste MUCH better!!

You CAN DO IT!!!
Old 08-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #8  

Thank you Laurie. I'm guessing I am either going in and out of ketosis or haven't gotten there yet. I am going to push through the next 3 days and stay 110% on plan. I really hate to start the habit of an extra packet. I just have to set my mind to this. If I really need something between meals I am going to munch on veggies or a pickle and have tea!

I also struggle with only 1 restricted per day, I find myself wanting a pancake for lunch and a bar in the afternoon!
Old 08-11-2013, 01:20 AM   #9  

Quote:
Thank you Laurie. I'm guessing I am either going in and out of ketosis or haven't gotten there yet. I am going to push through the next 3 days and stay 110% on plan. I really hate to start the habit of an extra packet. I just have to set my mind to this. If I really need something between meals I am going to munch on veggies or a pickle and have tea!

I also struggle with only 1 restricted per day, I find myself wanting a pancake for lunch and a bar in the afternoon!
That's the spirit!! I'd say most of us have had to push through at one step or another!!

As for the extra packet, don't think of it as something you should not have to do; it is very acceptable. My coach felt that people are much more likely to stick with IP when they feel satisfied and therefor further motivated. It is much better to have the extra packet then breaking protocol with something off plan!

I know you we're disappointed w/the crispy cereal pancake today, but I think a minor tweak or teo will soon make it a favorite! There is no way I would have the restricted IP pancake and have to give up my bar or savorylater that day so the crispy cereal is the way to go... Use a rolling pin (or similar) to completely pulverize it right in the sealed package. Put it in the mixing bowl w/one egg white, a tsp of baking powder and enough water to make it pancake batter (a tiny bit runnier is better than too thick in my opinion). I would omit the nutmeg... i do like a tiny drop of orange extract to enhance the flavor (not too much!!) Let it sit for a few so the baking powder has time to work. Heat the pan to medium... Don't make it too hot! A few drops of oil and pour it in. Trick is to cook it slow and give it time to set and release from the pan, then flip. Soooo good and so NOT restricted!!!

IF that doesn't do it for you, look for Maple Grove Farms Sugar Free pancake mix. Add to 1/4 cup mix 1 egg white and a bit of water (do not follow their directions). Same cooking as above. (W/the egg white to bring up the protein it is pretty equal to an IP unrestricted packet!! A little WF syrup and YUM!!

Last edited by JLUS; 08-11-2013 at 01:21 AM.