IP Coaching

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • charliebear99 -

I read one of your posts last week when you were talking about your career and some of the things that has allowed you to see. You had made a comment regarding the bariatric type patients who lose a lot of weight and some differences between those that keep the weight off long term and those that unfortunately gain the weight back. You had referred to those that keep the weight off finding some form of exercise they like to do. I think you said 3x/week cardio and some strenght training.

Would you please share some more of what you've seen over the years that makes the group that keeps their weight off long term successful?

How many minutes per workout (the 3x/cardio)? TIA ~Jen
  • Quote: charliebear99 -

I read one of your posts last week when you were talking about your career and some of the things that has allowed you to see. You had made a comment regarding the bariatric type patients who lose a lot of weight and some differences between those that keep the weight off long term and those that unfortunately gain the weight back. You had referred to those that keep the weight off finding some form of exercise they like to do. I think you said 3x/week cardio and some strenght training.

Would you please share some more of what you've seen over the years that makes the group that keeps their weight off long term successful?

How many minutes per workout (the 3x/cardio)? TIA ~Jen
    Good grief. I was in the middle of a great response and my computer blipped and I lost it. Here I go again.

Suffice to say that my experience comes from being being a nurse and having done 1 year of clinical experience to be a registered dietician before I switched majors to nursing. I do a non traditional IP. I was a former dietetic student who designed diets for people and have taken multiple nutrition, chemistry, biochemistry classes related to nutrition and exercise prior to switching majors. (You have to get all of your classroom teaching done before you counsel patients in a hospital setting.) Therefore I am comfortable with the "science of losing weight" since it was my major in college for 3 years and am happy to answer any questions in that regard. I'm in no way knocking IP though so to any I offend. Please disregard this post and move on.

The exercise part is actually the easy part. What I have seen work with my patients, friends, coworkers is what a great study I read last year said: The best exercise the one YOU WILL DO CONSISTENTLY and that you get some enjoyment out of. (Even if it's just being glad it's over that day! LOL)

30 minutes of "cardio" activity every single day is really the best when LOSING the weight. 60min is much better. I like the old but good advice maintain a pace that keeps you slightly winded but not gasping for breath. This is better than the old heart rate monitor for those who are overweight and not cardio conditioning for a marathon. If you have schedule that permits it breaking walks or exercise into morning and night is even better. (Not less than 30 minutes though.) Weight lifting! It is a great way to boost metabolism and get you stronger. I like free weights best to start. Two short workouts a week of weightlifting is a good place to start. It is hard to hit all muscle groups in 1 day because you get so exhausted and sore. I can give you very specific info on weightlifting routines if you do decide to start. There is training for strength/toning and training for bulk. Most women want the former.

Sounds like a lot. It is so you have to find something you like for the cardio bit. Elliptical is great! It is lower impact on the knees that running and it is what I did to "gerbil off" 40lbs prior to getting to starting weight here. Other things I love, the old step aerobics by Susan Powter, and plain old walking or running. Zumba is hugely popular in my area but dancing is not my bag. But the amount of aerobic videos out there is endless. And you don't have to do aerobics. I cannot count the amount of over 50 or 60 year old women I have taken care of that have lost a ton of weight (and kept it off) just walking every day. Most got scared by their serious health issues and they committed to the exercise because fear of death is a great motivator. Most did not even do restrictive diets like IP. They just stopped eating what they knew was junk and started exercising every day 30 minutes.

Anyway, once you have lost all the weight and are in maintenance then 30 minutes of cardio 3x week is a bare minimum. Weights at least once/week but twice is better. Its just consistency. My old routine:

30 minutes elliptical increased to 60 minutes/day 7 days/week for 2months.
    Then this + 3 days/week weights at home then as weight lifting gains increased at a gym with more equipment.

Some days instead of the elliptical I would do step aerobics and some videos even had little weight lifting segments. I just mixed it up. Videos were 60-90 minutes.

Then I injured my knee while hiking in the Shenandoahs when I slid on some rocky terrain. Sooooooo, I started the "Core Fusion" pilates series as my orthopedic doc said I had to stay off the knee. It is a great series to build your core.

Right now my carbs are so limited I only take a walk 30 minutes every day with hubby or on treadmill if weather poor. I now take 60 minutes of pilates and 60 minutes of yoga each twice a week at a studio. Weights now only 1 day a week. I stopped losing a significant amount of weight 2 years ago but I have shrunk from a size 16 to a 12. My doctor says I need to lose at least 20 more lbs though. I think IP can help me get there.

I hope these suggestions help. Just keep trying videos or walking or running until you find one you like for cardio. Amazon has some instant buys and netflix has some too so you could save some money that way while trying the videos out. If you ever want to start weightlifting check out Rachel Mclish's books. She is an all natural bodybuilder, meaning she looks like a toned sexy woman, and does not look like a man. A very rare bird. She has been around since the 1980-90s and she still looks great. Her books can help you tailor a routine to your body type if toned is what you are looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQbefAVQ6pM

Weightlifting increases strength, muscle, and your caloric needs. I really cannot praise it enough. If you do this consistently not only will you keep weight off but your caloric needs will go up slowly so that eventually you don't have to starve yourself periodically to maintain. I have seen women who have trouble maintaining their weight loss after low carb diets get their metabolism running again with weightlifting. The caveat to weightlifting is building muscle for women (not on steroids) is slow moving and you often do not see a huge change in your metabolism for 3-6 months with consistent proper training. So if you decide to do it stick with it and be patient.

I hope all of that helped
  • charliebear99 -

THANKS so much for your advice and taking the time to answer my question in detail. I really appreciate it! Jen