Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 51

Default rutabaga VS turnip

Whats the diffrence between the 2? apparently you can only eat rutabaga twice a week now and turnip as much as you want.
marnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #2  
Started IP 3/26/12
 
evepet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,770

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnie View Post
Whats the diffrence between the 2? apparently you can only eat rutabaga twice a week now and turnip as much as you want.
FYI, nutritiondata.com is a very handy place to check any time you have a question like this. Just google "nutritional values for xxxx" and their website pops up - as below for 1 cup of turnips and rutabaga.

For Turnips:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2700/2

For Rutabaga:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2611/2

You can see that rutabaga is twice as high as turnips in calories, carbs, and sugars.

Last edited by evepet; 03-29-2013 at 12:00 PM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #3  
Senior Member
 
Debrasb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 238

S/C/G: 200.2/135/115

Height: 5'1"

Default

I find rutabega to be sweeter and a nice sweet potato substitute (boil cubes for 45 minutes and then mash with cinnamon, stevia/splenda and a dash of olive oil). A lot of people have done rutabega fries with great success.

Turnips are more like a potato with the sharpness of a radish, to me anyway. I roast them as fries or cubes with olive oil and rosemary. I also have made hashbrowns with them, and recently made a turnip casserole that was delicious (recipe here: www.unlimitedlettuce.com).
Debrasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #4  
IP start March 8th 2013
 
newday2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Posts: 248

S/C/G: 217/206/160

Height: 5'9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrasb View Post
I find rutabega to be sweeter and a nice sweet potato substitute (boil cubes for 45 minutes and then mash with cinnamon, stevia/splenda and a dash of olive oil). A lot of people have done rutabega fries with great success.

Turnips are more like a potato with the sharpness of a radish, to me anyway. I roast them as fries or cubes with olive oil and rosemary. I also have made hashbrowns with them, and recently made a turnip casserole that was delicious (recipe here: www.unlimitedlettuce.com).
Thank you for the recipe, I'm hosting Easter dinner and this will fit in wonderfully! Just wondering, I'm not a fan of leeks, do you think I can use green onions instead? And, I love your blog, looks like we have the same tastes.
newday2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #5  
Senior Member
 
Suchawittygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 286

S/C/G: 186.6/126.8/125

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrasb View Post
I find rutabega to be sweeter and a nice sweet potato substitute (boil cubes for 45 minutes and then mash with cinnamon, stevia/splenda and a dash of olive oil). A lot of people have done rutabega fries with great success.
I'm going to try this for Easter! It sounds wonderful!
Suchawittygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 994

Default

and the new sheet DOES NOT LIMIT RUTABAGA TO TWICE A WEEK. You can eat it every day if you like. 2 cups per serving pre cooked. Try rutabaga fries. I love those so much! I eat it several times a week

Last edited by maezy1; 03-29-2013 at 04:18 PM.
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #7  
SBDubs
 
staceyjblack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DC
Posts: 283

S/C/G: 198.4/179.6/165

Height: 5'11''

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnie View Post
Whats the diffrence between the 2? apparently you can only eat rutabaga twice a week now and turnip as much as you want.
When did you get a new sheet?
staceyjblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #8  
Senior Member
 
Debrasb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 238

S/C/G: 200.2/135/115

Height: 5'1"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by newday2013 View Post
Thank you for the recipe, I'm hosting Easter dinner and this will fit in wonderfully! Just wondering, I'm not a fan of leeks, do you think I can use green onions instead? And, I love your blog, looks like we have the same tastes.
Definitely green onions will work. Use a lot -- it adds a ton of flavor.
Debrasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #9  
Senior Member
 
Debrasb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 238

S/C/G: 200.2/135/115

Height: 5'1"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyjblack View Post
When did you get a new sheet?
I saw on a recent daily thread that there was a new sheet, but my clinic didn't hand one out. However, on the sheet I have rutabega is listed as select but swede is listed as occasional. Unfortunately, rutabega and swede are the same veggie.
Debrasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #10  
Senior Member
 
Success is Messy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 103

S/C/G: 250/195/190

Height: 5'11.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
FYI, nutritiondata.com is a very handy place to check any time you have a question like this. Just google "nutritional values for xxxx" and their website pops up - as below for 1 cup of turnips and rutabaga.

For Turnips:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2700/2

For Rutabaga:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2611/2

You can see that rutabaga is twice as high as turnips in calories, carbs, and sugars.
Thanks! That is an awesome site.
Success is Messy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 1,209

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Default

Someone recently posted the NEW sheet dated 2/13 and Rutabaga is back on the Occasional list (swede is gone!). It's a little disconcerting/confusing when things move around like that. I have a similar confusion with peppers (red) raw vs. cooked and that they have moved back and forth a few times.

Anyway, I have done Rutabaga as occasional veggie... fries or cut into small cubes - both roasted on a cookie sheet and spiced with chili powder, cayanne, salt and sometimes with clove/cinnamon and then tossed in a drop of WF maple syrup. YUMMLY!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #12  
Senior Member
 
Success is Messy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 103

S/C/G: 250/195/190

Height: 5'11.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
YUMMLY!
New word!
No definition needed.
Success is Messy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 1,209

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Default

!!!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Baton Rouge
Posts: 994

Default

No rutabaga is unlimited. this si from someone who just wen to the super conference that they had where Dr. Tran was there. Look in the FAQ's above and you will see the most current info
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #15  
Started IP 7/9/12
 
ragdoll74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 1,748

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Default

newest phase 1 sheet is attached to the 4th post on this thread.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...phase-1-a.html
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rutabaga vs turnip! locks Ideal Protein Diet 12 06-06-2012 06:40 AM
Carb value of veggies 3sisters Ideal Protein Diet 46 04-27-2012 08:09 PM
IP Weekend Chat - 6 & 7 Nov. 2010 EatAnts Ideal Protein Diet 127 11-08-2010 12:31 PM
Ideal Protein Diet Chat - December 09 / January 2010 Leenie Ideal Protein Diet 786 01-22-2010 05:16 PM


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:33 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.