3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Daily Chat Wednesday 3/20/2013 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/278040-ip-daily-chat-wednesday-3-20-2013-a.html)

lisa32989 03-20-2013 06:30 AM

IP Daily Chat Wednesday 3/20/2013

:welcome2:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question in the daily thread: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads

More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2
here Fun with Ideal Protein Packets
and here Fun with Veggie Purees!
Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #4

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.

Quoting: The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein diet:
Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website

newday2013 03-20-2013 07:07 AM

I've seen this somewhere in these threads, but can someone exlain to me how this diet affects TOM? I have been in peri menopause (or so I thought) since July: hot flashes, no TOM.. I've been doing IP since March 8th and bam, here's my period!

Canadiandieter 03-20-2013 07:41 AM

Im pretty new to this diet, but from what I understand our fat cells contain estrogen as well. Once you are in Ketosis the fat along with everything else is released causing a spike in estrogen levels, therefore causing irregularity in TOM cycles (I think)...lol. Ladies?????

ecmcnamee 03-20-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadiandieter (Post 4674922)
Im pretty new to this diet, but from what I understand our fat cells contain estrogen as well. Once you are in Ketosis the fat along with everything else is released causing a spike in estrogen levels, therefore causing irregularity in TOM cycles (I think)...lol. Ladies?????

I'm pretty new too but that's generally how I understand it to work ...

ecmcnamee 03-20-2013 07:46 AM

I've been on IP for 5 weeks and today I am going to check out the alternatives on Nashua Nutrition ... I'm a bit nervous but have read enough here and feel comfortable with everyone's results. I'm not giving up my coach ... he's great so I'll still buy something when I go see him .. man that stuff is pricey!

Hope everyone has a great day :)

DRegan 03-20-2013 07:46 AM

Good Morning all!

newday2013, not sure about the TOM thing, did hear that losing weight does
throw things off for us women! I know I had worst headaches during my last cycle, never did before. ;(

Had a good WI last night down 3, yay!!
Lost 9 in three weeks, think I've been trying to lose
this 15lbs since I had my kids, which are 20 and 17yo, LOL!
This is the first program to actually budge the fat!!
6lb to goal!! The hardest part for me will be the summer boating
activities! Drinks,snacks, bbqs!! UGH!
Hopefully everything my coach is teaching me will continue for a lifetime!!
The sun is actually shining today, still cold though, doesnt feel like
Spring! Soon we will probably be complaining its too hot! oh well.

Time to get to work! Thanks for all the inspiring posts, it really helps to
have the support and ideas from all of you!
Have an awesome day everyone!!
D

wk1 5
wk2 1
wk3 3

pocahontas812 03-20-2013 08:11 AM

Good morning all. Just got this as part of my daily FDA alert email. I think it may have been mentioned before in a thread, but if not:

FDA Warns Consumers Not to Eat Certain ProtiDiet High Protein Chocolate Dream Bars Manufactured by Pro-Amino International, Inc., Quebec, Canada
03/18/2013 05:20 PM EDT

Pro-Amino International Inc. is recalling protein bars which may contain Salmonella. The product is the ProtiDiet High Protein Chocolate Dream Bar, sold in 210 gram (7.4 oz.) packages, 7 bars per package, bearing UPC 6 21498 42238 1, lot code CR 18 13B, and Best Before date of 2015-08.

. For detailed information pertaining to this Recalls, Market Withdrawals and Safety Alerts message, please click the link at the beginning of this bulletin.

Canadiandieter 03-20-2013 08:22 AM

Congrats!!! Those are great numbers!:carrot:

amberjules 03-20-2013 08:27 AM

Good morning everyone! I'm up early today. Decided to get in a bit of exercise first thing rather than waiting to come home after work when I'm exhausted!

Hope everyone has a wonderful, 100% OP day!

Jujubie 03-20-2013 08:56 AM

Ooh, so not a fan of the potato purée :shrug:

usmcvet 03-20-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecmcnamee (Post 4674925)
I've been on IP for 5 weeks and today I am going to check out the alternatives on Nashua Nutrition ... I'm a bit nervous but have read enough here and feel comfortable with everyone's results. I'm not giving up my coach ... he's great so I'll still buy something when I go see him .. man that stuff is pricey!

Hope everyone has a great day :)

I use Nashua for almost everything. Including the bars mentioned below. I had one last night, I will check my boxes tonight when I get home. I'm sure if there was an issue I'd already know about it but thanks for the heads up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pocahontas812 (Post 4674948)
Good morning all. Just got this as part of my daily FDA alert email. I think it may have been mentioned before in a thread, but if not:

FDA Warns Consumers Not to Eat Certain ProtiDiet High Protein Chocolate Dream Bars Manufactured by Pro-Amino International, Inc., Quebec, Canada
03/18/2013 05:20 PM EDT

Pro-Amino International Inc. is recalling protein bars which may contain Salmonella. The product is the ProtiDiet High Protein Chocolate Dream Bar, sold in 210 gram (7.4 oz.) packages, 7 bars per package, bearing UPC 6 21498 42238 1, lot code CR 18 13B, and Best Before date of 2015-08.

. For detailed information pertaining to this Recalls, Market Withdrawals and Safety Alerts message, please click the link at the beginning of this bulletin.

Thanks. These are my FAVORITE they're six carbs and delicious.
:dizzy:

A1Texan 03-20-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jujubie (Post 4675001)

You should give it another try but mix it with the soup or cauliflower for extra flavor.

StephieDanger 03-20-2013 09:04 AM

Good Morning!!
I have been on Ideal protein for 5 weeks now- just had my 4th weigh in on Monday and I am excited to say that I've lost 27.2lbs!! I feel awesome and am so excited for this journey.
I do have at least one concern though- I have really REALLY large calves. I always have. There is plenty of fat on them, but they are mostly muscle. On this diet we tend to keep most of our muscle and I am concerned that the rest of my body will get smaller but my calves will look like they belong to Popeye! Have anyone else run into this? Any suggestions to get them long and lean?

Delgen 03-20-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newday2013 (Post 4674903)
I've seen this somewhere in these threads, but can someone exlain to me how this diet affects TOM? I have been in peri menopause (or so I thought) since July: hot flashes, no TOM.. I've been doing IP since March 8th and bam, here's my period!

When you lose fat, estrogen gets released into the bloodstream (since estrogen is stored in fat cells). There are a lot of changes when that happens. I had a TOM after about a year of not having one. There have been a lot of IP babies born.;)

ragdoll74 03-20-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephieDanger (Post 4675013)
Good Morning!!
I have been on Ideal protein for 5 weeks now- just had my 4th weigh in on Monday and I am excited to say that I've lost 27.2lbs!! I feel awesome and am so excited for this journey.
I do have at least one concern though- I have really REALLY large calves. I always have. There is plenty of fat on them, but they are mostly muscle. On this diet we tend to keep most of our muscle and I am concerned that the rest of my body will get smaller but my calves will look like they belong to Popeye! Have anyone else run into this? Any suggestions to get them long and lean?

I don't know how much more you have to lose, but the weight does not come off evenly in this process. When you get down to a healthy body fat percentage, it should all even out. It seems like the area we want to lose the most from, is the last to go. :)

I think standing calf raises help to make them long and lean.

Debrasb 03-20-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

I have made this into a pancake by adding a little extra water and egg whites, then cooking as a crepe. Top with roasted red peppers and spinach for a yummy sandwich.

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcvet (Post 4675003)
I use Nashua for almost everything. Including the bars mentioned below. I had one last night, I will check my boxes tonight when I get home. I'm sure if there was an issue I'd already know about it but thanks for the heads up!

We got an email from Nashua last week that none of these bars should be eaten. They did not offer a refund, however.

Canadiandieter 03-20-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Good Morning!!

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it, throw on some high heels and rock it!!!!

shoediva 03-20-2013 09:27 AM

I second Canadiandieter! Get on some fabulous heels and don't be worried about it. We are all our own worst critics of course, so most likely the only one that even notices this is you. :^:

amberjules 03-20-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadiandieter (Post 4675050)
If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it, throw on some high heels and rock it!!!!

Great advice! I never wear dresses because my calves are big, even when I'm thinner. Maybe it's the high heels that would do the trick!:D

newday2013 03-20-2013 09:44 AM

Decided after my rough night I'd call in sick today, so I'm laid out on the couch feeling like I'm in labour! Oh, how I didn't miss this...
Thanks for the clarification of the TOM...although I'm not impressed, if this is part of the process, then so be it...didn't miss my [I]friend[I]. I told my husband about the IP babies and he turned white LOL!!! Wondering, if TOM continued or did you just get them that one time?
I haven't try the potato yet either, just sounded nasty. But, since I'm learning to add things to make packs more interesting, I likely will eventualy.
Curious, if you make the switch to alternatives, does you coach drop you? How many products do you need to buy to keep the connection? Wouln't mind switching at least the shakes and bars for cheaper ones. I'll stick with the supplements though, for the price, the quality is very good.

scorbett1103 03-20-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Good Morning!!

IP is going to help you drop the fat, but it isn't going to change the SHAPE of your muscles. Once you are at your goal weight and phasing off, look into pilates or yoga classes - the only thing that will change bulky muscles to long and lean muscles is good old fashioned stretching and flexibility exercises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newday2013 (Post 4675074)
Curious, if you make the switch to alternatives, does you coach drop you? How many products do you need to buy to keep the connection? Wouln't mind switching at least the shakes and bars for cheaper ones. I'll stick with the supplements though, for the price, the quality is very good.

That depends greatly on your coach - but for the most part, coaches do not like their clients buying products from the competition. For one, they are running a business that is kept going with the help of people buying their products. They aren't charging you for weigh-ins, just for product. For another, they are trained on IP products, not alternative brands. If you run into issues during the process, they don't have training on the ingredients in other products. Once my coach knew I was only using IP vitamins and getting alternative products, we had to part company.

SylviesGirl 03-20-2013 10:32 AM

WI #5 and down 3! Yay!! :cp:

I can't believe this diet is working. I am losing weight, my aches and pains have gone away, I have more energy, and I'm not having to beat my brains out exercising. Finally, something that works for my body. What a blessing!

Donna Gel 03-20-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

I mix the potato puree with egg whites and cook them up like a pancake. I also fry it up as is and it is quite tasty.
Donna G

Cheekyskeeter 03-20-2013 10:51 AM

I bought the potato puree my first week on IP and didn't like it at all but a few weeks later I tried it again and now I like it. I know my tastes are changing since being on IP....I've even bought another box for something different then shakes all the time (and of course the bars....I love them). I've also noticed that in the beginning I loved Big Mac in a Bowl but now I can barely swallow ground beef any more as I just don't like the taste of it any more.

In regards to the large calf muscles....I've got horses and have very muscular legs especially my calves because of the riding and always needed to buy wider tall boots. I've noticed since being on IP I've lost quite a bit of size everywhere but especially in my calves and my favourite tall boots that were always tight there are now quite loose.

amberjules 03-20-2013 10:53 AM

I started taking Biotin today, 5,000 mcg per day, because I am experiencing a bit of hairloss in the last couple of weeks. I thought it was because I had dyed my hair, so it's normal to get a bit of hairloss, but it seems to be coming out more than usual.

Is anybody else taking Biotin for hairloss and if so, how much do you take and how long did it take before you noticed a difference?

leannekarella 03-20-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amberjules (Post 4675166)
I started taking Biotin today, 5,000 mcg per day, because I am experiencing a bit of hairloss in the last couple of weeks. I thought it was because I had dyed my hair, so it's normal to get a bit of hairloss, but it seems to be coming out more than usual.

Is anybody else taking Biotin for hairloss and if so, how much do you take and how long did it take before you noticed a difference?

I've had intermittent hair loss for the last 2 years because of OTHER health issues not related to dieting. I started taking Zinc about a year ago, at the suggestion of my hair stylist, and it seemed to help a little. I started taking Biotin about a month ago, after reading all the posts on here, and already I do see a difference. I have little hairs growing back in where it was extremely thin. I take two a day... I think they're 500mg. Picked them up at Walmart.

leannekarella 03-20-2013 11:19 AM

We're still in San Francisco, the kiddo and I, and having a great time. I'm doing very well with staying OP, except for the veggies. I am eating green salads everyday, but finding the select veggies (other than spinach on my salads) is difficult! And we're so busy going here, going there, that when we stop, I just eat a bar or drink my IP drink I brought.

I have to say, though, my energy level is higher than it's been in years, and yesterday, the DD wore out before I did! Feet hurt like **** from all the walking, but the fact I can keep going from 8am - 8pm is pretty miraculous.

2 evenings ago, I took a tumble, stumbled over a manhole cover, and went down hard! I was on the sidewalk, thank goodness, and not in the middle of the road. Road rash on my palms, and sprained my left wrist pretty good. After all is said and done, I realize I "only" sprained my wrist, and I got right back up afterwards. I keep thinking that a few months ago, 30 lbs ago, I would have laid on the ground like a beached whale waiting for help LOL! The other aches set in by morning, but Ibuprofin to the rescue, and we were back out sightseeing by 9am!

mquinn106 03-20-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

I take Biotin, one 5,000 a day. I've noticed a difference even from before IP and I started taking it at the beginning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheekyskeeter (Post 4675165)
In regards to the large calf muscles....I've got horses and have very muscular legs especially my calves because of the riding and always needed to buy wider tall boots. I've noticed since being on IP I've lost quite a bit of size everywhere but especially in my calves and my favourite tall boots that were always tight there are now quite loose.

Mine are massive, but have thankfully lost 1/2 inch so far, my reward will be a pair of cute tall boots for the fall :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SylviesGirl (Post 4675143)

I can't believe this diet is working. I am losing weight, my aches and pains have gone away, I have more energy, and I'm not having to beat my brains out exercising. Finally, something that works for my body. What a blessing!

Congrats! It's amazing how IP works and so cut and dry. Easiest/Hardest diet ever!

Having a great day today, had a very nice 4# woosh this morning. TOM had been here for way too long! If only this snow would go away and it would start to actually look/feel like spring!

SylviesGirl 03-20-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leannekarella (Post 4675200)
2 evenings ago, I took a tumble, stumbled over a manhole cover, and went down hard! I was on the sidewalk, thank goodness, and not in the middle of the road. Road rash on my palms, and sprained my left wrist pretty good. After all is said and done, I realize I "only" sprained my wrist, and I got right back up afterwards. I keep thinking that a few months ago, 30 lbs ago, I would have laid on the ground like a beached whale waiting for help LOL! The other aches set in by morning, but Ibuprofin to the rescue, and we were back out sightseeing by 9am!

So glad you're okay and that nothing worse happened! I know what you mean about wondering what would have happened 30#s ago. Your tales of more energy and being able to keep going are very inspiring. Enjoy!

The Biotin I take are 5,000. Picked them up at WalMart. I took them right from the start as I was worried about hair loss, so I can't speak to a "change." I take them once per day at this point. The bottle says to take 1 or 2 per day.

SylviesGirl 03-20-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mquinn106 (Post 4675215)
Congrats! It's amazing how IP works and so cut and dry. Easiest/Hardest diet ever!

Having a great day today, had a very nice 4# woosh this morning. TOM had been here for way too long! If only this snow would go away and it would start to actually look/feel like spring!

Yes, yes it is! I feel like this is the diet I have been looking for all of my adult life. I can feel that this is the right thing for my body.

Congrats on your whoosh!! :carrot: Spring will be here very soon, promise!

fitandfabfrog 03-20-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

I feel the same way! Congrats!!

De11s 03-20-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

I started taking 5000 mg a day a couple of months ago and started feeling a difference within a couple of weeks, it also helped that I got my hair cut since it had been over a year...:fr:
Weigh in tonight praying for a big loss- :goodscale

benice 03-20-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Good Morning!!

I'm not sure about slimming down your calves, but I can tell you my experience with my big quads. I've always had thick quads (I used to run a lot and always attributed it to that). Weirdly, on this diet, my quads were the first place I began to lose. I've been weight training during this process, so it is not that I'm losing my muscle--I'm actually quite strong right now. I think what I previously thought was all muscle was actually fat stored in there too. The last place I lost weight? My stomach--which was the first place I began to gain. Go figure. Anyway, maybe they will slim down on their own. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by leannekarella (Post 4675200)
We're still in San Francisco, the kiddo and I, and having a great time. I'm doing very well with staying OP, except for the veggies. I am eating green salads everyday, but finding the select veggies (other than spinach on my salads) is difficult! And we're so busy going here, going there, that when we stop, I just eat a bar or drink my IP drink I brought.

I have to say, though, my energy level is higher than it's been in years, and yesterday, the DD wore out before I did! Feet hurt like **** from all the walking, but the fact I can keep going from 8am - 8pm is pretty miraculous.

Welcome!! Don't forget your umbrella! It's going to be wet today! If you get a chance to check out the Bay Bridge at night, the new light display is beautiful :)

pocahontas812 03-20-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

At my hair dresser's advice, I take biotin 5000 mcg/day, omega 3-6-9 twice a day, and vitamin D3 daily (she didn't tell me how much and it comes in different strengths; I think I am taking 2000 mcg/day). I've been taking the biotin about a month and have finally noticed that I am losing less hair (less hair in the shower drain each morning). My hair also is looking a little shinier and fuller. Of course, this is all subjective....

hebertwhite9 03-20-2013 12:34 PM

On the third day of IP alternative today...First day off of work since starting, and I am incredibly hungry, despite two shakes already. Think I will try some new veggie recipes for lunch :/ Thanks to everyone who posts here!

SylviesGirl 03-20-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hebertwhite9 (Post 4675326)
On the third day of IP alternative today...First day off of work since starting, and I am incredibly hungry, despite two shakes already. Think I will try some new veggie recipes for lunch :/ Thanks to everyone who posts here!

Don't forget to sit down and have a nice cup of hot tea or two. The hot temp seems to quell hunger for a while and it takes time to drink, too. You'll get through it. Good luck!

usmcvet 03-20-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Good Morning!!

Awesome. I was worried about loosing weight and about the need for surgery after because of massive WL. I used it as something to procrastinate and as an excuse for not starting. Now I just don't care. I look and feel better, even w/o my shirt on. I probably will need to think about surgery at some point but that's about 100 pounds away with goal. I've noticed loose skin around my belly and the inside of my thighs but like I said it's totally worth it. I like the idea of heels! :D An excuse to buy yourself a treat. Mini goals and rewards have helped me wuite a bit. Good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debrasb (Post 4675043)
I have made this into a pancake by adding a little extra water and egg whites, then cooking as a crepe. Top with roasted red peppers and spinach for a yummy sandwich.

We got an email from Nashua last week that none of these bars should be eaten. They did not offer a refund, however.

Really no refund, not cool. I just got them yesterday so I should be good to go. Thanks.

Quote:

Awesome, it feels great doesn't it. Keep at it. This is the only thing that's worked for me!

My2loseW8 03-20-2013 01:14 PM

:hug: Yesterday, later in the day fam4me posted in the Daily that she lost 100lbs in one year! I just wanted to say Congratulations!!!! :dancer::high:
Hope everyone has a great OP day!
~My

MSEMDEE 03-20-2013 01:30 PM

WI this morning and 5.6 lbs gone forever!
Congrats to all the other "losers" and maintainers out there!

Jujubie 03-20-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSEMDEE (Post 4675407)
WI this morning and 5.6 lbs gone forever!
Congrats to all the other "losers" and maintainers out there!

:bravo: