Old 03-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Default Dehydrator or Juicer?

If you had to buy a juicer or a dehydrator, which would you get?

I am thinking about a dehydrator, but a lot of people like juicers as well.
Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #2  

I'd not buy either one. The juicer removes fiber and the dehydrator removes the water and concentrates sugars so the portion becomes very small. The whole fruit or vegetable is always the most nutritious and filling.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #3  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Dehydrator (which I've already done!). It makes food more portable for me. Like being able to take zucchini and red peppers on a three day trip where I don't know if I'll have a fridge. I like to keep the fiber in the food but there are juicers that use the whole fruit too. I bought a Vitamix to eventually make fruit and protein shakes with where I'll use the whole fruit.

I also like that I can do big batches of stuff in the dehydrator over a weekend, then put it away where as a juicer I would always want to make the juice as fresh as possible.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #4  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

I have both. I have a Jack LaLane juicer that uses the whole fruit. I made smoothies and juice drinks for a long time, but I think I really prefer whole fruit, not juice.

I love my dehydrator. Had it for over 30 years. It's an Excalibur, one of the best. My favorite is making jerky. I have made all kinds of things in it and have several books.

I guess I'm an appliance junkie. Too bad my kitchen isn't big enough to handle them all.

Molly
WingnutandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 148/146/110

Funny you ask! I just sold my dehydrator on craigslist! Dehydrated foods started to bother my stomach after a while - I guess I need the liquid content. They were too easy to over eat and then when I drank water my stomach would bloat. My juicer is sacred! It is similar to the IP products in that when you juice greens - you absorb the nutrients. I feel great when I juice greens and keep he sugary fruits and vegetables out of my juices - maybe a lemon or lime thrown in but that is about it - so to answer your question...juicer!!
dietpartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #6  
Restart IP 9/26/13

S/C/G: 208/185/140

Height: 5'6

I gave my juicer away after I got a vitamix. Juicers remove all the pulp fiber and nutrients. Vitamix is eat kitchen appliance I have very bought!! I have a dehydrator but in all honesty I don't use it that much.
Katkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 143/133/120

I just used my dehydrator to make summer squash "chips". They were soooo yummy (but really only good for that day, afterwards they get chewy instead of crispy"
Jujubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 219/141/130

Height: 5'1''

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
I have both. I have a Jack LaLane juicer that uses the whole fruit. I made smoothies and juice drinks for a long time, but I think I really prefer whole fruit, not juice.

I love my dehydrator. Had it for over 30 years. It's an Excalibur, one of the best. My favorite is making jerky. I have made all kinds of things in it and have several books.

I guess I'm an appliance junkie. Too bad my kitchen isn't big enough to handle them all.

Molly
I also have a Jack LaLane juicer (from my 3 months of being raw vegan) and it just collects dust now. It was such a pain to clean. I agree with other posters about it removing the pulp, etc. I would get a fabulous blender and just use that.
WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #9  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujubie View Post
I just used my dehydrator to make summer squash "chips". They were soooo yummy (but really only good for that day, afterwards they get chewy instead of crispy"
I used to have that problem too and then accidentally left a batch in for an extra 2 hours. Then I realized my previous batches weren't really dry enough yet and when left long enough, they stay crispy for at least a week. I've never been able to keep them around much longer than that because I love them too much.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Wow! Great advice.
But now I still don't know what to do
What is the best buy for a dehydrator? Any ideas?
Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote