Old 02-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/150IP/147/125

Height: 5'5

Default New to IP, sea salt confusion, discouraged

I'm on my 3rd day of IP. I am feeling a bit discouraged because of a few things. 1.) I need to lose a total of 25 lbs which isnt much..but I'm worried that since I don't have a large amount to drop that results will be close to none. Its day 3 and im down 3 lbs (i assume its only water weight) My coach wants me to be in phase 1 until my goal is reached.. Anyway according to a Keto strip, I'm not in ketosis.. Which is frustrating. Im hearing from some that by day 2 I should be in it etc... I don't have that high energy and I'm pretty hungry which is to be expected.. But I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.. I haven't used the salt once. I usually never put salt of any kind on my food... Is this necessary? Anybody out there who started out "not very big"?? (jan2011 I was 167 I'm now 147 from my own diet but can't seem to get past 145ish on my own which is why I decided to try IP) also.. I have a crazy sweet tooth are Mio drink flavors ok? 0 carbs, calories, blah blah could that be a problem?? Help! Sorry for the lengthy post!
Claire9710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #2  

I'm Claire btw! 25 yrs old
Old 02-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #3  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

The keto strips are worthless, don't use them. If you are following the protocol 100%, you should be in ketosis or will be soon.

Salt is needed to maintain electrolyte balance. You may notice head-aches or being light headed if you aren't getting in the salt.

I didn't start at the same weight as you, but I am currently 147 and the same height as you. My losses have slowed. I am losing about 6-9 lbs in a four week period. That is still way better than any other diet I've done, so I don't really care about my weekly weigh in anymore as long as the trend is down.

Mio is ok, but if you notice that your losses are slowing don't use it. Some people are very sensitive to sweeteners. Try to limit your 0/0/0 extras each day to make sure they don't have an adverse effect on the losses.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #4  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

First of all, just stick with it for a bit. You know the first few days are the hardest and so that's why you are still hungry and feel like crap.

Second, I don't use them, but many people here will tell you the ketostix aren't worth the pee you put on 'em. So go with how you FEEL and if you follow the program, by day 3 or 4 you'll be in ketosis. Go by your feelings of reduced cravings and bad breath as a good sign (kind of

Third, you NEED the salt. You're not eating enough salt on this diet and you'll feel light headed etc if you don't use it. Many people just put it in water and drink that down, or lick their hands with the salt on, just to "get it down" so you don't have to worry about adding it to the food.

Give it some time and you'll see if it works. If you're down 3 pounds in 3 days, and you think that's "water weight" you know you're in ketosis. See what happens over the next 3 days! Many people will tell you to stay off that scale as you may be stressing your self out worrying about the number.

You have great support here. Read lots and give it a bit of time. and WELCOME We're a great group so stick around so we can get to know you!
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #5  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire9710 View Post
I'm on my 3rd day of IP. I am feeling a bit discouraged because of a few things. 1.) I need to lose a total of 25 lbs which isnt much..but I'm worried that since I don't have a large amount to drop that results will be close to none. Its day 3 and im down 3 lbs (i assume its only water weight) My coach wants me to be in phase 1 until my goal is reached.. Anyway according to a Keto strip, I'm not in ketosis.. Which is frustrating. Im hearing from some that by day 2 I should be in it etc... I don't have that high energy and I'm pretty hungry which is to be expected.. But I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.. I haven't used the salt once. I usually never put salt of any kind on my food... Is this necessary? Anybody out there who started out "not very big"?? (jan2011 I was 167 I'm now 147 from my own diet but can't seem to get past 145ish on my own which is why I decided to try IP) also.. I have a crazy sweet tooth are Mio drink flavors ok? 0 carbs, calories, blah blah could that be a problem?? Help! Sorry for the lengthy post!
I'll answer the Keto strip question. I have NEVER registered on the strip. Not once. But I am definitely in ketosis. Some people don't.

Mio is okay, in moderation. It's not really 0/0/0 if you use a half bottle a day. There are "hidden" carbs/calories that are less than 1g in one serving.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
The keto strips are worthless, don't use them. If you are following the protocol 100%, you should be in ketosis or will be soon.

Salt is needed to maintain electrolyte balance. You may notice head-aches or being light headed if you aren't getting in the salt.

I didn't start at the same weight as you, but I am currently 147 and the same height as you. My losses have slowed. I am losing about 6-9 lbs in a four week period. That is still way better than any other diet I've done, so I don't really care about my weekly weigh in anymore as long as the trend is down.

Mio is ok, but if you notice that your losses are slowing don't use it. Some people are very sensitive to sweeteners. Try to limit your 0/0/0 extras each day to make sure they don't have an adverse effect on the losses.
I guess I will wait and see but good to know about the salt and the mio! mio is keeping me from reaching for soda and bad things!
Old 02-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
First of all, just stick with it for a bit. You know the first few days are the hardest and so that's why you are still hungry and feel like crap.

Second, I don't use them, but many people here will tell you the ketostix aren't worth the pee you put on 'em. So go with how you FEEL and if you follow the program, by day 3 or 4 you'll be in ketosis. Go by your feelings of reduced cravings and bad breath as a good sign (kind of

Third, you NEED the salt. You're not eating enough salt on this diet and you'll feel light headed etc if you don't use it. Many people just put it in water and drink that down, or lick their hands with the salt on, just to "get it down" so you don't have to worry about adding it to the food.

Give it some time and you'll see if it works. If you're down 3 pounds in 3 days, and you think that's "water weight" you know you're in ketosis. See what happens over the next 3 days! Many people will tell you to stay off that scale as you may be stressing your self out worrying about the number.

You have great support here. Read lots and give it a bit of time. and WELCOME We're a great group so stick around so we can get to know you!
Everybody is so nice here... and i totally put my foot in my mouth...after reading about ketostix being worthless i thought i'd give it a go one more time... 3rd time is a charm.. i think the water i had been drinking... like 3 bottles in a row maybe diluted it? anyway... its pink now that i havent had water in about 2 hours! i can stop obsessing now...back to my water.. lol!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #8  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Yes, the water dilutes the ketones. Keep drinking the water, lose the keto sticks.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #9  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Claire9710 - Welcome.

Others have already answered your questions, but I just wanted to say Hello and we are so glad you are joining us.
I always read the "Daily Chat" Thread first and this is a great place to ask all those questions you'll have over the first few days and weeks. Most IPers go here and so you'll get the quickest responses. Also, spend some time in the "Sticky's" at the top of the page in red. There is a lot to read, but tons of questions already asked and answered to help you as well.

This program works, there are lots and lots of people here on this site that prove it. Yes, you may lose a little slower than someone who has to lose 100 lbs, but that will be TRUE on any diet. And this one helps people to lose a little more quickly than they would on any other weight loss program. So stick with it and try not to stress about how long it will take to lose the weight you want to lose. It took time to put the weight on and it will take time to take it off. As long as the scale is going in the right direction (down) then everything else will fall into place. The bottom line is if you stick with this, you will lose the weight and that's ultimately what matters. I have seen many people here that have needed to lose about the same amount of weight as you and they are all doing well. Look under people names and avatars and you'll see their starting weight, where they are now, and their goal weight. You'll find others like you!

Try to not get stressed/worked up if you are daily weighing. Some people really can't handle this and do better only weighing in officially once a week. If you need to, give your scale to a friend or family member so it's not in your house to tempt you and bring it back when you are at goal. Also, there will be weeks when you don't lose any weight. Yes, 0 lbs weight loss. And we all have these! These are the weeks that you may be losing inches instead or your body is adjusting and reconfiguring your shape. All part of the natural process. O lb weigh loss in a week does not mean the program is not working. Pay attention to how your clothes feel and are fitting as much as you pay attention to the number on the scale. You'll be in those smaller clothes that are currently too tight in your closet before you know it!

Good Luck!

Last edited by JenRem; 02-23-2013 at 07:36 PM.
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #10  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

I have never used the strips but it wasn't till day 4 I finally wasn't super hungry anymore, and it wasn't until week 2 that my energy kicked up!

Good luck and use the salt where you can I put it on my salad a lot, meat and eggs.
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote