3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Rhubarb (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/274282-rhubarb.html)

scorbett1103 01-26-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrittStar027 (Post 4608590)
My boyfriend's family is in Central Mass, so i'm thinking on the way up the next time i'll hit up Whole Foods and then check out the markets up there. I'm hoping it's at Whole Foods in Cranston RI though. Would make it much easier! I'm definitely going to stock up this summer and invest in a food saver (and eventually a chest freezer).

Do it!!! I bought my chest freezer and a food saver four years ago and they paid for themselves in the first year. I haven't paid more than $2 a pound for meat in years, when they slash the prices on fresh meat I buy enough for 8 weeks (that's about how long the sales cycles run) and into the deep freeze it goes!

leadedge 01-26-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrittStar027 (Post 4608012)
I'm having a hard time finding frozen rhubarb near me. I have a wicked craving! I live in Rhode Island, but am close enough to Connecticut that i wouldn't mind making a trip in. I've checked Stop and Shop, Walmart and Shop Rite at this point. Anyone have any other suggestions??

I probably should know this, but how do you "eat" frozen rhubarb. Do you just microwave and eat. I love rhubarb pie etc. but I've never had it by itself.

Sorry, I'm a guy newbie who definitely struggles in the kitchen!

BrittStar027 01-26-2013 10:51 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what is a good food saver? My dad and aunt swear by theirs. Not to mention I throw away about 1/4 of the things I freeze because of freezer burn, ripped zip-locs, etc. I think it's time to get one.

scorbett1103 01-26-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrittStar027 (Post 4608664)
If you don't mind me asking, what is a good food saver? My dad and aunt swear by theirs. Not to mention I throw away about 1/4 of the things I freeze because of freezer burn, ripped zip-locs, etc. I think it's time to get one.

This is the brand I have, you can get the bags and supplies at Wal Mart which saves a little money over going to the Bed Bath stores :)

http://www.foodsaver.com/index.aspx

scorbett1103 01-26-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrittStar027 (Post 4608671)
Thank you!! I have a birthday coming up next month and I think this is going my make my "list" along with a blender and food processor. Oh the things that excite us as we get older...

LOL so true :) My husband laughs at me every Christmas because while he's asking for video games and goofy stuff, I am asking for kitchen appliances :)

leadedge 01-26-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrittStar027 (Post 4608669)
I usually cook it in a sauce pan with a little bit of water, Splenda to desired sweetness, a dash of lemon juice, cinnamon and vanilla extract. A lot of people bake it in a little casserole dish and get creative with some of the IP packets (or alternatives) to make a cobbler/baked dessert of sorts, I've also seen people mention putting it into muffins or pancakes or making it into a purée and use it as a topping for various creations. I'm sure their are a bunch of other options, but these are the few I'm most familiar with.

Ok, thanks! I'll give it a try

amberjules 01-26-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorbett1103 (Post 4608673)
LOL so true :) My husband laughs at me every Christmas because while he's asking for video games and goofy stuff, I am asking for kitchen appliances :)

HAHA! I can totally relate. My last favorite thing I bought for the kitchen was my Vita Mixer. One of the best things I've purchased for the kitchen! I can't even count on one hand how many blenders I've blown through in order to save money. One day I got smart and just went ahead and bought the Vita Mixer. Best investment.

IdealProteinNewbie 01-27-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadedge (Post 4608663)
I probably should know this, but how do you "eat" frozen rhubarb. Do you just microwave and eat. I love rhubarb pie etc. but I've never had it by itself.

Sorry, I'm a guy newbie who definitely struggles in the kitchen!

Britt answered already, but I make mine a different way:

I put it in a bowl (I'm lazy, one less pan to wash), microwave 5-7 minutes until it starts to fall apart then add splenda, pumpkin pie spice and WF pancake syrup. I usually just eat it with a spoon but it's also good topped with IP's vanilla pudding :)

BrittStar027 01-27-2013 05:46 PM

My dad was visiting today and asked what i wanted for my birthday, and he ordered me a foodsaver! So excited! Now i can buy meat and veggies in bulk and not have to worry about them going bad or getting freezer burned! I think getting this excited about appliances/kitchen gadgets is a sign that i'm getting older.

Ojenchilada 01-27-2013 09:05 PM

Y'all are killing me with all this talk of rhubarb. Dying to try it but can't find it fresh or frozen...and I have been to TJ's and four different Krogers!

BrittStar027 01-27-2013 09:18 PM

Someone said their Whole Foods had it. Do you have one nearby??

Ojenchilada 01-27-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrittStar027 (Post 4609731)
Someone said their Whole Foods had it. Do you have one nearby??

Yeah, that's one place I haven't tried...and I actually have two nearby. Passed one of them on they way to Kroger #4. Doh!

pocahontas812 01-28-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disgal (Post 4608423)
Sweet! Attleboro here.....I'd say "Go Pats".....but we all know how THAT worked out!:(

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorbett1103 (Post 4608481)
Nice!!! I am in Attleboro ALL THE TIME in the summer, my kids LOVE Capron Park and my dad lives in Norton so we visit a lot :)

Woo hoo!!!

Such a small world! I grew up in Attleboro, and my parents, aunts/uncles, and some cousins still live there. Now I live in Ashland, which is next to Framingham.

djs06 01-28-2013 09:32 AM

All this Massachusetts talk is making me miss it! I lived in western MA for a few years and loved it :)

amberjules 01-29-2013 10:20 PM

I mentioned earlier that I bought some rhubarb over the weekend from Central Market and I made a Rhubarb Crisp out of it and the IP Maple Oatmeal packet.

It's the first time I ever ate Rhubarb, so thanks to everyone suggesting it. I felt like I was cheating. It was so delicious!

Recipe: http://www.lamberjules.com/recipes/i...-crisp-recipe/

http://www.lamberjules.com/wp-conten...rb-Crisp-2.jpg