Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #1  
Kris

Default Can I eat my "real protein" at lunch and a packet for dinner

Hi does anyone know if it is okay to switch having 8oz protein and 2 cup veggies at lunchtime and a packet and 2cups veggies for dinner? Also can you split the veggies and eat some at breakfast? I am just starting phase one and my coach is not very helpful answering any questions. She told me not to switch the meals but couldnt tell me why- and i saw on this site that many people switch meals. I appreciate any help!
Tikatoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #2  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

It's ok to switch meals and split the veggies up for breakfast. There are a lot of people who add pureed spinach to their morning shake.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #3  
Restart 3/1/15

S/C/G: 307.4/270/200

Height: 5'7

Yes you can. I work mid shift so it's easier for me to have my protein at lunch then take my packs for dinner an snack.
Sammie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/145/145

Height: 5'4"

Keep in mind that some coaches are very strict with what they want you to do and if you tell your coach you did this you might get an earful.

My coach said that the amount of food is what is important and I could arrange that anyway I chose throughout the day.
rofl306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #5  
Kris

Thanks for the imput! 2nd question-Has anyone been told not to switch the timing of meals and were you given the reasoning behind it?
Tikatoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 164.8/150.5/128 1) -4.8,2)-3.2

Height: 5' 4"

If my coach ever 'gave me an earful', I'd find a new coach. That's ridiculous!

It's perfectly fine to mix up when you have the real protein. I often split mine because I'm not used to eating 8oz protein at once and will have 2-4 oz at lunch and rest at dinner.
PamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikatoka View Post
Hi does anyone know if it is okay to switch having 8oz protein and 2 cup veggies at lunchtime and a packet and 2cups veggies for dinner? Also can you split the veggies and eat some at breakfast? I am just starting phase one and my coach is not very helpful answering any questions. She told me not to switch the meals but couldnt tell me why- and i saw on this site that many people switch meals. I appreciate any help!
The important thing is the plan, not the timing of the meals. Do what works best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikatoka View Post
Thanks for the imput! 2nd question-Has anyone been told not to switch the timing of meals and were you given the reasoning behind it?
Most coaches don't know what they are doing so some are very rigid. Training REALLY varies. From reports here, some seem to be on power trips. They all need to remember they are providing a service and we (the dieters) are the paying customers. Have your "dinner" meal mid-day if it works best for you. Have it in the morning if that is your schedule. I have veggies in almost every breakfast (spinach/pudding smoothies, zucchini/pudding muffins or pancakes, veggie omelets). I have veggies with lunch AND dinner and salad if I need more veggies. Some coaches REQUIRE salads at lunch and dinner. This is not an IP requirement. Lettuce is unlimited but not required. I HAVE found I tend to lose more if I make a point to eat it at least once/day.

Most of the stories I hear (read here), coaches who make strange rules really have no scientific foundation for why they have their rules. Eat what is on the sheet. It will work. If you change the timing of dinner or veggies, you still ate what was on the sheet at the end of the day.

Last edited by lisa32989; 01-14-2013 at 03:15 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #8  
Start: Dec. 18, 2017

S/C/G: 211/210/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi there, I totally agree what Lisa told you (above my post). I wanted to to add a bit of my experience. It may be just me, but I was hungry one morning so I had part of my meat in the morning, then I found I got "disoriented" and somehow ... all my meals went off kilter that day and the next. Maybe it's just me, but I suppose my own lesson is not to change timing of my meals willy-nilly but to change in a planned way and with purpose and reason in mind, and to plan to stick to that new timing, or else have a plan of what I'll do to return to "normal" timing.

But having said that, yes, totally, you can find the timing that works for you, not necessarily the one suggested on the sheet! For example most people split their protein between lunch and dinner. However, try not to eat too many carbs in one go, so if possible, do keep the 2 cups of vegetables separate from the other 2 cups of vegetables (or divide in 1 cup per meals...); that's just to be safe not to overdo carbs in one meal (although for most people it won't matter if they do 4 cups at once, for some it might).

Last edited by learning to fly; 01-15-2013 at 12:51 AM. Reason: typo
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6 1/2"

My coach is pretty strict, but she told me I could use my protein at lunch, and have some veggies at breakfast, or to split the protein amount between lunch and dinner. She did tell me NOT to each veggies as a mid morning or mid afternoon snack, because it will cause an insulin rise 1-3 hours before a meal when the goal is to keep the pancreas 'rested' and not 'spiking' throughout the day.
EPAPRN is offline   Reply With Quote